Escalating anti-LGBT+ hate and the terrorism it inspires

Nevermore

Citizen
When they came for the transgenders, I didn't say a thing because I wasn't transgender.

When they came for the blacks, I didn't say a thing because I wasn't black.

When they came for the Jews, I didn't say a thing because I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for the communists, I didn't say a thing because I wasn't a communist.

When they came for me, there was no-one left to say anything.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
With any luck, DeSantis will be behind bars for his immigrant shenanigans before the 2024 election, but just in case he's not(or even if he IS, there are others like him) VOTE.. These people can only get the levers of power if WE DO NOTHING. A lot of the house's current republican majority were the result of VERY close elections. Heck Boebert only retook her seat by 546 votes.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Silly Candace. Once they're done with the trans community, they'll be coming after you, and they won't care how much you helped them.

NovaSaber

Citizen

Oklahoma County District Judge Lynn McGuire ruled on Monday that Kris Williams no longer has legal rights over her son after divorcing her now ex-wife Rebekah Wilson. Wilson and Williams conceived their son together after finding sperm donor Harlan Vaughn on a paternity website. They got married while Wilson was pregnant.

After the couple’s contentious divorce, the judge made the decision to strip Williams of custody because Wilson was the one who gave birth to the couple’s son and Williams never formally adopted him. But typically, when a child is born to a married couple, both members of the couple become the presumed legal parents.

In this scenario, the judge ruled that was not the case because Oklahoma’s parentage act was created in 2014, one year before the Supreme Court legalized marriage equality nationwide in 2015. As such, McGuire decided it was not clear that the law protected same-sex couples. She granted custody rights to Wilson and Vaughn.

WfThPQ6h.jpg

NovaSaber

Citizen

WASHINGTON — A federal jury convicted a Montana man of hate and firearms crimes for firing an AK-style assault rifle at the residence of a woman, who identified as lesbian, and was home at the time.

After a four-day trial that began on Feb. 14 in Helena, the jury found John Russell Howald, 46, of Basin, guilty today of hate crime acts and discharge of firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence as charged in a superseding indictment.

“This defendant is being held accountable for attempting to violently eliminate the entire LGBTQ community in a small Montana town,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division. “This hate crime and violent campaign targeting the LGBTQ community is a reminder of the epidemic of hate violence targeting people based on their sexual orientation. All people have the right to feel safe in their homes and communities, regardless of who they love. The Civil Rights Division will continue to work with our federal, state, and local partners to safeguard the civil rights of LGBTQ people affected by hate violence, hold perpetrators accountable, and ensure justice for victims of bias-motivated crimes.”

NovaSaber

Citizen
And double 🤬

Both bills will become law even if the governor doesn’t sign them.

H.B. 1 – the first bill filed this year because Republicans wanted voters to know that this is their top priority -bans treatments like puberty blockers and hormone replacement therapy for people under the age of 18, forcing transgender youth to go through the puberty of their sex assigned a birth and exacerbating gender dysphoria. Puberty blockers are reversible treatments used to delay the permanent effects of puberty so that trans youth, their families, and their doctors can understand their identities better.

The legislation allows for the same medications to be used by cisgender youth for other conditions. The bill doesn’t ban any treatment for being too dangerous; it bans a class of people from using them for a specific purpose.

The bill became a priority for state Republicans after anti-transgender extremist and Daily Wire writer Matt Walsh falsely claimed that the Vanderbilt University Medical Center was trying to “castrate, sterilize, and mutilate minors.” Bottom surgery is not performed on minors, but that didn’t stop 62 Republican state representatives from signing a letter condemning such surgeries on minors.
Of course that monster is responsible.

H.B. 9, the drag ban, classifies “male and female impersonators” as adult cabaret performers and bans “adult-oriented performances that are harmful to minors.”

The bill’s sponsor, state Rep. Chris Todd (R), has said that drag shows are “child abuse” and fought against a Pride drag show in his district in the past.

Ungnome

Citizen
Makes me glad I no longer live in TN.. I swear they weren't that unhinged 20 years ago.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Wait, does that mean that Montana's not allowing trans people's birth and death certificates to have their transition sex on them, or are they not allowing trans people to have birth and death certificates at all?

Ungnome

Citizen
Unfortunately the former, the latter could have some actual advantages.

Top Bottom