Disney animation and related media

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Yes! That's the one! Totally fills the void of what could have been if there were more eps!

Though I'm not sold on shipping Willow and Hunter. And why is Vee having lesbian tendencies too?

(Btw, she had an AWESOME short part in the ep! Would that she did more of that! Vee is very cool and I hope she gets a good ending, wherever she stays.)

January?!? Too faaaaaar!
Willow and Hunter have had a thing since the Emerald Entrails episode. Not sure why Vee couldn't like her friend from camp (who identifies as non-binary). We haven't seen her preferences before and we know she was friends with them before. :)

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Disney’s Board of Directors have reinstated prior CEO Bob Igor just months after a 3-year extension to Bob Chapek’s contract. They were apparently dissatisfied with recent earnings report and reached out to Iger last Friday. Chapek found out he was canned Sunday evening.

I mean, Chapek had issues (his slow response to politics and price increases on D+ and the parks being notable), but…it kind of feels like he was a victim of circumstance, dealing with MAJOR outside issues Iger didn’t. Bob Iger will be present for two years to ”get the company back on track” and find a new CEO candidate.

We’ll see how this actually impacts the product. Sounds more like a “stock boosting” thing than anything else at the moment…

Shadewing

Citizen
Iger might not be a saint, but the dude at least understands being a decent human being. Iger's done a lot of good in his time as CEO of Disney, not just for the company before for a many people as possible. It is why he's got such an amazing rep with the majority of people, from regular employess at Disney parks to all the various creatives that work under the disney brand, to celebs and other business people. Actually, the only people that really don't seem to like him, least in my personal experience, is Star Wars fans who treat him like the devil for buying the franchise.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Meanwhile, yeesh, somebody sure was grouchy when they wrote the script for this Honest Trailer:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Strange World is out. Is it any good? I'd watch it (to show support) but after I was massively disappointed with Lightyear, I'm wary. (Yes, I know Pixar isn't Disney. And Disney did pretty well with Encanto).

Also insert Benedict Cumberbatch reference.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So, two nights ago, a new Christmas special titled "Mickey Saves Christmas" premiered simultaneously on ABC, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD, and is also now on both Disney+ and Hulu.

It's a stop-motion special starring Mickey, Pluto, Minnie, Goofy, Daisy, and Donald as they help Santa out of a jam on late-night Christmas Eve:

I just watched it and, like a lot of current Mickey stuff, it's charming enough. It also surprised me in how it even a few moments of genuine sadness and sincere emotion, rather than trying to keep everything happy and cheery all the time per the common conception about Mickey and Friends. Mickey honestly got to show a decent range of emotion in this special. No anger or serious frustration, but he was definitely written with a bit more emotional depth than one would typically expect from the modern-day Mickey Mouse.

Pete and Clarabelle make cameo appearances and the story is set in the city of Hot Dog Hills, the same setting as the Roadster Racers/Mixed-Up Adventures series.

The stop-motion model work was done by Stoopid Buddy Stoodios of Robot Chicken fame, and it's definitely a step-up in quality from that show's work. The designs of Mickey and Friends are both true to their traditional cartoony looks but also very detailed with visible fur on Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and Goofy, and visible feathers on Donald and Daisy.

Speaking of Daisy, this special marked the first time that she is voiced by Debra Wilson instead of Tress MacNeille. Donald is voiced by Tony Anselmo, Goofy and Pluto by Bill Farmer, Minnie by her new voice Kaitlyn Robrock, and Mickey by Bret Iwan.

Since I personally haven't been watching any of the current Mickey stuff that's aimed at preschoolers, this special was the first real instance that I listened to Iwan and Robrock's takes on Mickey and Minnie in a full production. While Robrock sounds like a convincing-enough match for the late great Russi Taylor's Minnie, Iwan I find has a very noticeably deeper voice compared to Wayne Allwine's Mickey. While, one could say the same about Walt Disney and Jimmy MacDonald's Mickey voices, I've just gotten so used to Allwine's Mickey over the years that hearing Iwan's deeper Mickey sounded just a little jarring to me. He captured the spirit of the character, but his voice just took some getting used to for me.

Overall, it was a nice, quaint little thing, and I wouldn't mind seeing more stop-motion model work like this to come out of Disney, as this kind of animation is always impressive.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Just a reminder, the first issue of the Gargoyles comic came out today.

In my opinion? It was pretty good. Not mind-blowing, but definitely solid. Good art. They tease JUST enough of future stories to keep me interested. I think if you're a fan, you'll have a good time.

It does feel like they're...slightly aware of how much backstory there is. They throw you into the deep end pretty much from the start. But, they do TRY to summarize different plot threads...in a slightly tongue-in-cheek way. You might want to rewatch some of the original show. And track down those SLG issues (seriously, reprint those Dynamite!).

But, it has me looking forward to more issues. So, they did something right.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Well, I meant Toy Galaxy in general. Like they would give the broadcast history of a show like Centurions or Gobots but they don't go into episode details like that female agent from Sea Lab who was training to be a Centurion or the use of the Astro Beam is for the Renegades.

I think we already got into what happened to Peggy and Pistol and why they were missing from the Goofy Movie. (I forget the reason). But Roxanne and Pauly Shore were never in Goof Troop, were they?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I think we already got into what happened to Peggy and Pistol and why they were missing from the Goofy Movie. (I forget the reason). But Roxanne and Pauly Shore were never in Goof Troop, were they?
Peg and Pistol weren't in the movie because the film wanted to focus on the father-son relationships.

Correct. Roxanne and Bobby were first created for the movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Peg and Pistol weren't in the movie because the film wanted to focus on the father-son relationships.
HOWEVER, in the 2021 English-translated release of the movie's French graphic novel adaptation, certain bits of extra continuity with Goof Troop were deliberately added to the English translation's dialogue (which were not in the comic's original French version), such as in this line by Goofy in Panel 3 of this page, which suggests that modern Disney wants us to believe that Pete and Peg are still married during the movie:

12.jpg
:

Top Bottom