Deadpool 3!!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
They can! But sculpting and articulation reign supreme these days. An action feature is relegated to “baby” toys.
Not even there, anymore. At least, in so far, as the “standard action figure” is concerned.

The collector segment won’t tolerate any compromise to aesthetics or articulation. But the “kid segment” has declined to the point that Hasbro, largely, only offers the most basic of offerings. I think you can really see that with the X-Men 97 product range Hasbro delivered:
5 basic figures, one vehicle, one roleplay item, and two Titan figures (though, one of which was “cross marketed” with the Epic Hero range). While we got a solid set, several major characters were omitted- Magneto, Cable, Beast, Forge, Sinister, and Morph immediately come to mind as fairly core characters that should have made it. Pointing to another major line, Guardians of the Galaxy’s toy line omitted Gamora, Warlock and the High Evolutionary, the film’s main villain.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, they did it, but it came out looking like this...

1716268729156.png
1716268758441.png

Can't speak for anyone, but I'm not sure most find the aesthetic trade-off worth the gimmick.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
Oh wow! 🥶 You don't see that side of thing from in-package pics. Yeah, that does look bad. Shame! It would be an awesome gimmick if after several decades they could've found a way to make it work better.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Indeed.

And I mean, it's not even like the sacrifices in themselves are intolerable, but for the end result? Maybe if the claws were bigger and/or more splayed out, but for this?

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
There was also this one. I dont think the claws stayed in tho, they just spring back out.

20240503_181339.jpg

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I loved that toy. For all its issues, he was tons of fun.
Yeah, it wasn't until the recent years with the collector lines that we've started to get a Wolverine figure capable of both masked and unmasked, claws in or out in the same figure. Sure, it was a bit janky (though, coming from Toy Biz's second year with Marvel might have been a factor), but you have to appreciate the ambition on display.
There was also this one. I dont think the claws stayed in tho, they just spring back out.

View attachment 21325
I had a Deadpool from the first series of X-Force figures (made a year or so later) and they replicated the gimmick by giving him a hand sculpted to simulate him stabbing someone.
Aside from repaints, that gimmick kind of disappeared from the toy line going forward...

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I haven't received it yet. So I'm not sure if I should be angry or happy about it. We'll see how I feel when I have it in hand.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
It's a good toy, not $55 good. Even as a display piece. Hell, I have one I bought a while ago where the bubble glue gave away. And I paid less that $10 for it.

'97's popularity must be inflating 90's Toy Biz figures.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
It might be because it was still in the packaging. There weren't a lot of other listings...which could also have an effect. I should have it bu Thursday

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
The nerdgasm if the film DOES gives us this full look for even ONE action sequence...

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
IMG_3172.jpeg

IMG_3173.jpeg

The packaging itself is pretty nostalgic, particularly with that Kay Bee sticker on it. Fortunately there was minimal damage when I busted Wolvie out. So I can keep the empty package too.

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3175.jpeg

Mmm! Nice classic toy goodness!

IMG_2556.jpeg

Alongside my other Wolverines.

Im sorry, bro. I feel partially responsible for that purchase.

I'm actually happy with it. It would've been nicer if I'd found it cheaper. But it's one of those toys I debated getting at the time and always wished I'd had done it. Now I have it!

IMG_3177.jpeg

Also, not absolutely certain, but pretty sure... I think this Cyclops is from the same line.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
View attachment 21574

The packaging itself is pretty nostalgic, particularly with that Kay Bee sticker on it. Fortunately there was minimal damage when I busted Wolvie out. So I can keep the empty package too.

Also, not absolutely certain, but pretty sure... I think this Cyclops is from the same line.
That's a pretty late run for the figure, too. The co-sells are from a mix of 92 and 93. Might have even been part of his last cycle in the assortment.

And yeah, that Cyclops is "from the same line" (X-Factor Cyclops came from the intitial series in 1991, stripe Wolverine comes from series 2 in 1992). But their quality of sculpt work improved DRAMATICALLY between their initial roll outs (X-Men and Marvel Universe) and by 1993. Just compare Bishop to the likes of Forge and Gambit. The improvement was DRAMATIC.

Top Bottom