Anti-Semitism

NovaSaber

Citizen
Do Jews feel more fortunate than other minorities because they are basically considered and accepted as white?
(I accidentally liked this while trying to quote it and still feel icky about it.)

With anti-LGBT+ bigotry being more prominent than racism at the moment, this is an even more absurd question than it would have been in other times and places.

NovaSaber

Citizen
To elaborate on that point more, people in "invisible minorities" actually sometimes have to put up with more, because casual bigotry from people who wouldn't knowingly harass someone directly is a very real thing.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
To elaborate on that point more, people in "invisible minorities" actually sometimes have to put up with more, because casual bigotry from people who wouldn't knowingly harass someone directly is a very real thing.
Yeah. I'm both gay and Jewish, and I take after my non-Jewish side of the family looks wise. So I don't look Jewish AT ALL.
And I've heard my fair share of antisemitic and homophobic comments said around me because no one thought they'd apply to me.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧
This!!!!
People will say the worst things when they don't realize who they are talking to. I've heard so many ant-trans things since I appear as my AGAB. People also assume I'm Christian due to being an American with a slight southern drawl and because of that I've heard all kinds of nasty things about non-believers.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Why is there even a conflict between Palestine and Israel when both descend from the same guy Abraham. Don't Palestinians and Arab people come from Abraham mating with Hagar to spawn Ishamael?

Ungnome

Citizen
There have been civil wars because two SIBLINGS both wanted the throne after their father died. Two groups, who according to myth and legend, descended from the same man are many generations apart from that(that's assuming it's even true, which it likely is NOT). You can't be that naive.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Which, frankly, only serves to underscore how stupid organized religion actually is.

"We believe in the same god, let's ******* FIGHT OVER IT!"

diamondgirl

Citizen
Was the promised land of Israel formed when God told the Jews to break down the walls Jericho and take it by force from the Palestinians?

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Which, frankly, only serves to underscore how stupid organized religion actually is.

"We believe in the same god, let's ******* FIGHT OVER IT!"
Communist countries have invaded other communist countries for not being sufficiently communist in their view. The US Civil War was fought for reasons that had nothing to do with religion. The wars of the 18th century had to do with powers wanting a mercantilist advantage over the others. WWI was fought because agents of one government assassinated a government official of another country and a web of mutual defence treaties cascaded (it was also the midst of an arms race between the two primary power blocks focused on trade and soft power, not faith). WWII was fought because of the after-shocks of that, and religion only played into it insomuch as the new German government decided to try and wipe out a specific ethno-religious group for pseudo-scientific racist rationale, not religious.

Going into a thread about discrimination against an ethno-religious group (the same one mentioned above) and going "organized religion is dumb" isn't the best look, but pretending like it's the only reason humans have ever killed each other is another level.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Communist countries have invaded other communist countries for not being sufficiently communist in their view. The US Civil War was fought for reasons that had nothing to do with religion. The wars of the 18th century had to do with powers wanting a mercantilist advantage over the others. WWI was fought because agents of one government assassinated a government official of another country and a web of mutual defence treaties cascaded (it was also the midst of an arms race between the two primary power blocks focused on trade and soft power, not faith). WWII was fought because of the after-shocks of that, and religion only played into it insomuch as the new German government decided to try and wipe out a specific ethno-religious group for pseudo-scientific racist rationale, not religious.

Going into a thread about discrimination against an ethno-religious group (the same one mentioned above) and going "organized religion is dumb" isn't the best look, but pretending like it's the only reason humans have ever killed each other is another level.
The point wasn't specifically a knock against religion. It was that humans will literally use any excuse to fight. Russia invaded ukraine because one dude wanted dirt and otherwise cannot settle on an excuse. Some humans will happily use any excuse to impose their will, ideology and politics on others, and be more than happy to kill as many people as necessary to achieve that.

I mean, organized religion is still dumb, but the expression of stupidity is pretty egregious when two groups whom have already agreed that they worship the same god are killing each other over the minutiae. You want to pray, go to services, worship something that ostensibly has no reasonable proof of existence? Go ahead, you do you. The second you get so worked up that taking the life of another human being become viable choice: you have transcended the realm of religion and are treading the path of mental illness.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I mean, organized religion is still dumb...
I'm wondering if you'd saunter into a thread about Islamophobia and offer the nugget of "religion is dumb."
Or is it ok because "Jews"?

Like... assuming the best of intentions towards you... can you not see how walking into a thread about discrimination and bigotry towards an ethno-religious group and going "religion's dumb you guys" is a bad look?

It was that humans will literally use any excuse to fight.
Nah, m8. That was my point after you dropped the same point some of my edgier students like to drop when we get to the Thirty Years War.

Here's a secret for you wonko. The wars that were about religion? Hardly had religion as the main reason.
The Thirty Years' War? Deeper causes for the war were the tensions between a Holy Roman Empire led by the Hapsburgs wanting to unify and local nobles who preferred autonomy.

French Wars of Religion? Primarily over succession to the throne and the establishment wanting to fend off a more egalitarian movement the heir apparent happened to have sympathies with.

English Civil Wars? Taxes. Taxes mostly. Strip away all the religious "we will build a new Jerusalem" bs the Parliamentarians went on about and the whole thing could have been avoided if Charles I had just listened to Parliament re: taxes.

Even the Sunni/Shia split primarily started over succession to Mohammad- ie who has terrestrial, earthly power.

Now have humans killed each other in the name of religion? Absolutely! Along with a ton of other reasons.

But usually when you get full scale wars fought for "religion" the religion is mostly window dressing to cover up more mundane and practical reasons for fighting. Money, power, or both.

Last edited:

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
You have no idea what a recent development this is or how hard it was to achieve, because this country's long and recent history of very active antisemitism somehow doesn't make it into the average American History class.
A lot of it was dumb luck. Even after antisemitism fell away in its most overt forms in the late 19th century it was still very much in vogue institutionally. Sure Harvard would now admit Jewish law students but that new Jewish lawyer was going to have a hell of a time getting hired anywhere respectable.

"Jews control the media!"
Um no, we don't, but do you know why Jews play such an outsized role in entertainment? Because back when vaudeville, radio, cinema, and then tv started up polite American society considered them crass.

No prestigious law firms or corporations would hire Jews who otherwise were qualified for those positions so they went the only place where they could get a paying job, in fields that WASPy American society had no use for.

And then when those fields blew up into huge parts of American pop culture you start seeing "wHy Do jEwS cOntRoL hOlLyWoOd?"

And it's like... if mainstream American society hadn't been so antisemitic during the late 19th/early 20th centuries educated Jews wouldn't have had to congregate in "unseemly" businesses like showbiz!

Ungnome

Citizen
Was the promised land of Israel formed when God told the Jews to break down the walls Jericho and take it by force from the Palestinians?
I believe that is what Orthodox Jewish sects and a good chunk of Christians believe. Historical and archeological evidence is a bit iffy on said conclusion. The people who were their at the time would NOT have been what we'd considered Palestinians today, though. Same general region, but somewhat different ethnicity. Millennia of migrations from other areas have changed the demographics, not to mention the major religious and cultural shifts that have occurred in the area.

As far as Jews in Entertainment goes, the same can be said for Jews in banking. In a LOT of areas of Europe, Jews were BARRED by governments from working many professions. Finance happened to be one of the few areas they were allowed to work freely. When a group is limited to their employment options by outside forces, they tend to become rather good, culturally, at said allowed options. The skills then get passed on from generation to generation even after said limitations are lifted. The effects of said forces take generations to slow and reverse.

*edit. Looks like I left out an IS in my first sentence. Put it in to clarify what I actually meant.

Last edited:

Top Bottom