Andor - streaming on Disney+

Cybersnark

Citizen
Cassian also explicitly says "we're cheaper than droids and easier to replace."

Of course, what we know that Cassian doesn't is that the Emperor is a Sith Lord, and the Dark Side feeds on suffering (and distance is irrelevant to the Force). For Sith, the cruelty is literally the point.

Droids can suffer (as Threepio frequently [and loudly] demonstrates), but droids aren't "alive" in the Force, so their pain isn't useful.

LiamA

Citizen
I've noticed that Andy Serkis is in this. Have people started the speculation that this is the origin of Snoke?

Axaday

Citizen
We are all caught up and I am confused by the end of 9. So someone who was supposed to be released from level 4 got put on level 2 and when everyone got upset by that, they killed the whole level. I guess to shut them up. The beginning of the paragraph is "They made a mistake" and there are a few different meanings for that. Did the prison do something they didn't intend to do or did they just do something that turned out to be a bad idea?

The first thing that popped in my head is that they do it all the time but don't usually get caught because people from one level don't know people on another level, but then I realized that can't be it. The person getting put in another level when they were supposed to be released knows what happened and they would tell. So I guess this is the first time they did it. But how can they have thought they could pull it off?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I view it as a combination of issues from Imperial ego/neglect to the fact that, as a forced labor factory, Imperial commanders have an incentive to NOT let people leave. We've seen it throughout the prison stay of Andor that Empire officers and troopers had practically ZERO interaction with the prisoners outside of delivering new people or addressing illness/death. That means if there was a mistake, the staff would be unlikely to care or look into the issue. Which also means the prisoner was able to "confirm" his status by his little "countdown" in his cubicle.

From there, it would be easy to pass along to the rest of the floor that said prisoner should NOT be there. From there, I assume the issue escalated to the point that the Imperial in charge fried the floor to maintain order.
Regardless if it was a mistake or not, the fact nearly 100 were murdered for the sake of "keeping order" demonstrated to Andor and Loy that, in addition to the euthanization of the old man, the Empire viewed them as disposable assets with no guarantee of SURVIVAL, much less release.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw ep 10. That was pretty great! I have a feeling it ended a lot worse than it looks but Andor doesn't care.

I don't get the 14 thing but it's probably a reference.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeah. Like, if that works out, who would the result be? Luke and Leia are... probably 10 (?) years old now so whatever results could be seen in A New Hope? Maybe?

Dake

Citizen
I am not following you at all.
Me either.

What I got from that exchange
is that Mon Mothma is not willing to put her daughter through the same twisted "tradition" she was subject to when she was betrothed to her husband at a young age - a person with whom she clearly has zero in common. We've seen repeated instances of the two of them not liking each other at all, and Mon does not want to put her daughter through that even if it means not getting access to the funds. I don't think they were laying any sort of groundwork for a future character. Leida Mothma is not anyone of note in the OT to date.

Axaday

Citizen
Yeah. Like, if that works out, who would the result be? Luke and Leia are... probably 10 (?) years old now so whatever results could be seen in A New Hope? Maybe?
Luke and Leia are 15. If Leida Mothma gets married right away and has a child right away, the child would be about 4 at "A New Hope". Probably Jek Porkins.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
There was word a couple months ago from the showrunner that there'd be no easter eggs/fan service in this show. I have a love/hate relationship with that stuff. I have fun with it like anyone, while also being irritated sometimes when it is gratuitous. And when I read the detail of what the showrunner said, he was essentially on board with me. Obviously we already knew Mon Mothma was going to show up and that is the sort of thing some people would relate to this. But his point was that if they showed anything you'd seen before it would be for a really good reason that was important to their story.

Saw Gererra is sort of his character. He didn't make up the name, but when he showed up in Rogue One is was pretty much pure Easter Egg. There's little to connect one to the other except to make a hard reference to Clone Wars. While the characters having little to connect them beyond the name can be forgiven for the 20some years intervening, it is still a fact. He can say today, sorta, that this doesn't count because it was his own character like Cassian and he is continuing his own story (in reverse). But what I'm getting at through all that complicated preambe is that I enjoyed the scene with Saw, but it doesn't look at this point like it was anything other than, "Hey remember Saw?" as far as THIS story goes. Was that it, one and done?

Maybe he'll be back for the finale or more prominent in season 2.

-=-=-

I appreciate development of the idea that at least at this time period the good guy/bad guys lines are being blurred. In OT the good guys were the Rebellion and the bad guys were the Empire. In PT the good guys were the Republic and the bad guys were the Separatists. But Cassian can't really tell the Republic and the Empire apart. That's in keeping with speculation that had been done to cover his misstatement(??) in Rogue One that he'd been fighting these guys since he was a kid when he was too old to have grown up in the Empire. Mon Mothma sticks up for Separatist Do-Gooders. I don't have anyone in mind and maybe there's no one to grab, but it would be nice if they could pick up a sympathetic separatist character from Clone Wars and drop them into the Rebellion now. It would be more poignant than Saw.

Last edited:

Top Bottom