Andor - streaming on Disney+

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh gosh I luv that little red droid, haha.

Has that circular slicing attack been used in other media before? That's practically light saber.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
20221117_153333.jpg

Axaday

Citizen
When I saw Rogue One, Saw Guerera confused me. Obviously from the trailers, they changed their mind about the portrayal on reshoots and I am not sure what they had in mind. I am sure they didn’t think they were going to be doing Andor at the time. The character had nothing to connect him to the Clone Wars character who I found quite forgettable and in fact had forgotten. I refreshed myself afterward and found no resemblance. I don’t think they were familiar with the character. I expect they just asked if there was a Clone Wars character they could use and then did whatever they wanted. i suppose the point they wanted to make was just that the Rebellion that we had always seen from the top side in its prime had been rougher and had burned some people out. It is an interesting point but it wasn’t fun to watch.

Andor has been a gift for Rogue One. I liked Rogue One in spite of a few things that I didn’t care for, but I feel now like R1 saw was never going to make sense until they came back and made this show.

Dake

Citizen
Rogue One was made for people that had never seen the Clone Wars, but as a person who had seen the Clone Wars, I had no difficulty believing the young rebel (small "r") leader from the Clone Wars had become the unhinged man we saw again in R1.

I do agree though that Andor has done a good job showing us the middle.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Something Luthen said last week (about Saw struggling to concentrate) got me thinking. Remember when we met Saw in Rogue One, he was inhaling something from a breather. It was probably medicinal, since most of his body was prosthetics (and obviously not high-quality ones installed by a licensed professional), but being strung out on spice would certainly explain his obsessive, erratic behaviour. Andor now has me thinking that the paranoia and mood swings started before he needed the painkillers.

The man's been fighting one guerilla conflict or another for most of his life, it's no wonder his body and mind have fallen apart.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw ep12. (No, not Saw Gerrera. Kidding). Extra scene at the end..

Yeah, it was very cool.

Also, any time they kill a droid, it's a lot more tragic now.
They didn't even have to go that far but, wow. It's like when they're killing a fave character and people start to riot, haha

I guess it's over? It's pretty good, even though it wasn't as heist-y, caper-y like the other highlight eps. I hope they're vindicated enough to do a season 2. I'd be fine with that, as long as they don't have boring duds like the first two eps.

I love the part with the busybody. Laughable but I love it.

Axaday

Citizen
Season 2 has been presumed for a long time. I don't know if it is officially "greenlit", but the writers always intended to do it.

People have been praising the show, but I saw something the other day that said it has really low viewership. I hope that doesn't tank season 2.

=-=-=

What I came to say was that there was an article this morning on Facebook that said this show shouldn't have been called Andor. It should have been called "Spark of the Rebellion" because Mon Mothma is really killing it out there. I commented "I guess it is too late now" and just now Diego Luna liked my comment.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Maybe there's no season 2. There's just Andor : Spark of the Rebellion? (It has B2EMO getting a Transformers upgrade and getting recognition for starting the uprising?) Kidding.

Yay for Andor liking your comment!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Season 2 has been presumed for a long time. I don't know if it is officially "greenlit", but the writers always intended to do it.

People have been praising the show, but I saw something the other day that said it has really low viewership. I hope that doesn't tank season 2.
I initially thought there was talk of MULTIPLE seasons. Then, last week, Tony Gilroy and co were talking about just a second season. Guess we'll see, though it seems another season is, indeed, confirmed and is now filming.

Low viewership doesn't, necessarily, surprise me. The show DOES have a slow start, and it never does become the "pew pew spaceships!" show that Mandalorian or even Boba Fett were. This is VERY MUCH a hard political drama. This is about as close as Star Wars has ever gotten to the "prestige drama" HBO and the like covet so much. And it very much is NOT a show that's going to hit the same "buttons" as the prior Star Wars series. This is a series for Emmys, not toys.

That said, I'm very MUCH in the camp that has REALLY enjoyed what they did here. While I've been "in Star Wars" enough to see a lot of this other mediums, I can't recall any Star Wars live action project that actually touched on the more "extreme" realities the features films and cartoons often glossed over. Totalitarian governments and the rebellions they foster are messy and violent, and I think this is the first to really address that in a meaningful way (besides the little bit of lip service in Rogue One).

Dake

Citizen
I'd argue Clone Wars actually did a really great job exploring those things but there's an audience out there that only watches live-action so this would be a first for them.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
I initially thought there was talk of MULTIPLE seasons. Then, last week, Tony Gilroy and co were talking about just a second season. Guess we'll see, though it seems another season is, indeed, confirmed and is now filming.

Afaik it was planned for two seasons from the get-go.

Came across this on YouTube. I'm assuming this deep in the thread nobody is worried about spoilers through episode 10.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
It was always planned for two seasons. Loved the uprising of the people of Ferrix on the last episode. How helpless Dedra and the other fascists we're when the crap hit the fan. Obviously there were a lot losses on the side of Ferrix and it will end up bad for them. But still.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
This show has really been quite amazing. No gratuitous references, no flashiness with space wizards and crazy aliens, no mystery boxes or subverting expectations, but instead solid writing and spectacular performances. Disney Star Wars has felt reactionary in the worst ways, but Andor feels like they sat down and really thought about what the core of the brand was instead of just glancing at memes or twitter trends. The rest of Star Wars doesn't need to be this stripped down, but I dearly hope Disney's taking the right notes.

Maarva would be pleased her brick was used to cave in an Imperial's skull.

"Authority is brittle. Oppression is the mask of fear." The sheer panic of the Empire goons when the funeral procession... starts on time.

So not only is Mon Mothma marrying off her child for money, she's also throwing her husband under the bus to take the blame for their impending money problems. She wasn't kidding when she said she learned from Palpatine.

Syril himself has been a rather interesting one. Started off idolizing authority for the sake of authority (ironically in full obliviousness to how the Empire started by murdering the previous "keepers of the peace"), now he's in full stalker mode for one specific authority figures. Seems cartoonish, but well *gestures to the real world*

The grand Death Star reveal seemed a bit out of place in this show, but it not only answered just what the prisoners were making, but also whether or not they "needed" humans to make it. (that is to say, no of course not, droids can do all the labor.... but efficiency wasn't the point)

Top Bottom