Ahsoka - streaming on Disney+

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
tumblr_p6h8isR0xP1v875xyo3_1280.gif

Shadhausen

Citizen
Well, tomorrow for those of us who can't stay up until 11 to watch it. Why is that even a thing, anyway?

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
This was really good. I'm pumped. The ending of episode 1 was something.

Hot Toys and Hasbro need to make a long haired Sabine figure like ASAP.

Axaday

Citizen
Early reviews said these episodes were bogged down by catching viewers up who didn't watch Rebels. Admittedly, we stopped the second episode early because one of us was falling asleep, but I watched most and while I could agree that the episodes were a little slow it wasn't for the reason given. Very little of the exposition was stuff that happened in Rebels.

They spent a lot of time showing us the loth cat, making me expect that it would be really important, but now I think they have just learned that successful Star Wars shows take time to show something cute. They actually spend a lot of time vaguely dwelling on things that happened AFTER Rebels, not during.

Dake

Citizen
Opening crawl says Ahsoka was a Jedi Knight in the Old Republic.

I missed that, but sure enough. It's a bit convoluted, but it looks like the short answer is "she may have left the order, but doing so made her more of a Jedi than most of the Jedi themselves." I suppose one could argue that she's a Jedi knight under the same rules that Luke is a Jedi knight in this time period.

Very little of the exposition was stuff that happened in Rebels.

I was a little surprised by the lack of Rebels backstory myself, though it sort of makes sense. The Star Wars stories do tend to follow the formula of establishing things in the first couple episodes, leading to the typical "slow" complaints. So far, that slow build has mostly paid off and I enjoyed the first two episodes. We'll likely get some flashbacks somewhere in the middle to let people who don't watch the animation know why we should care about Ezra and who Thrawn is and all that.

Some interesting developments too...

Elsbeth being a Nightsister (or descendant thereof). She certainly doesn't look Dathomirian but maybe that will be explained.

Definitely curious to learn more about "Inquisitor Marrok".

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the season!

Axaday

Citizen
I guess that the New Republic was badly stung and embarrassed by The Force Awakens, but continued to be a thing. Man is it ever hard to feel sorry for these guys.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
Huh? This takes place prior to TFA (around season 2 of Mandalorian), or about 9 ABY.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
My biggest peeve is what is up with

Elsbeth feeling Thrawn across another galaxy? What connection does she have with him? And last I knew Thrawn wasn’t particularly force sensitive. And how does she know that her ancient Star Map is supposed to point to where he is?

Axaday

Citizen
Huh? This takes place prior to TFA (around season 2 of Mandalorian), or about 9 ABY.
Oh, I know. I guess I didn't organize my thinking well on paper. I meant to acknowledge that as far as we know they haven't REALLY paid for their incompetence yet. But they are just so dumb and weak.

Axaday

Citizen
My biggest peeve is what is up with

Elsbeth feeling Thrawn across another galaxy? What connection does she have with him? And last I knew Thrawn wasn’t particularly force sensitive. And how does she know that her ancient Star Map is supposed to point to where he is?
Yeah, it's weird.

Frankly, I had been pretty mystified about the whole everything surrounding "When is Thrawn returning" stuff. I don't know. Why isn't he ready yet? It makes sense that he is just stranded.

And the thing they've constructed LOOKS like a giant hyperspace ring, but could it be a portal? I am guessing that they know where he is because he somehow got a message through and if he and she both knew about something special about this planet and its special pair in that other galaxy, maybe the message was, "I found my way to my end. Can you get your end ready?"

Dake

Citizen
Oh, I know. I guess I didn't organize my thinking well on paper. I meant to acknowledge that as far as we know they haven't REALLY paid for their incompetence yet. But they are just so dumb and weak.
Ah I gotcha. Yeah. They've set that up pretty clearly in Mandalorian - that it's the bureaucracy that ultimately fails the galaxy. Actually, it goes all the way back to TFA: the bureaucracy is why Leia is off on her own again with the Resistance.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I'm just thrilled that (A) this is the first Star Wars series with a majority-female cast and (B) one of the two male-identifying characters is Huyang (I knew he'd be around, but I thought he'd be a one-episode guest, not a full part of the ensemble).

He gets the best lines too.
jRYmxJs.png

kaQi03h.png

8pcBnTQ.png

I'm also guessing that Elsbeth isn't tracking Thrawn so much as she's tracking the purgills' migration patterns, as charted by the maybe-Celestials. But she thinks she's tracking Thrawn (or wants her followers to think she's tracking Thrawn), so Ahsoka has to assume Elsbeth knows what she's doing.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
So far I'm enjoying myself. I really like that the Sith-y duo in this are actually kinda personable and not "MWAHAHA IM EVIL AND VILE AND SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING DARKSIDE HATE IS EVERYTHING" like so many others on team red saber.

Speaking of sabers, she actually knows how to use them! Imagine that, lightsabers easily cutting through most substances instead of it being some big effort or completely forgetting that is a function.

Axaday

Citizen
So far I'm enjoying myself. I really like that the Sith-y duo in this are actually kinda personable and not "MWAHAHA IM EVIL AND VILE AND SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING DARKSIDE HATE IS EVERYTHING" like so many others on team red saber.
Their sabers are orange and they are different from Sith because they aren't Sith-y actually. Baylen was a Jedi that escaped Order 66 and now he is a mercenary. He's willing to do things a Jedi wouldn't have and he has some power ambitions, but I don't think he is on the Dark Side.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Baylan and his apprentice (and his allies) are exactly what the old pre-Prequels EU called "Dark Jedi" (back before the Prequels established the modern Sith and they kinda took over the whole ecosystem). They definitely use the Dark Side, but other than Silent-Marrok (who, as an Inquisitor was Sith-adjacent), none of them are actually part of that specific organization.

Top Bottom