40th Anniversary Haslab: RID2001 Omega Prime

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In the film it kind of looks like the remains of a planet, likely destoryed in some dramatic event millions of years prior and what remains of its gravity causes it to pretty much attract space junk, so it likely has a weird orbit where its going from one solar system to another and collecting the trash as it flies by, unless the remains of Cybertron destoryed in the Headmasters anime some how travels back in time and collects tons of trash!
In before "it was that chunk of Cybertron that was missing in the first two seasons" theories kick off again.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Here’s my view on Haslab:
I sincerely believe that Hasbro should be saving the initiative for stuff that are TRULY not viable at the mass market. Granted, that limit is pretty darn fine when it comes to Transformers. Deathsaurus was REALLY toeing that line, as I think they could have made a “just fine” version at mass retail, even as a Dragontron retool.
I BELIEVE the more appropriate options are either a complimentary Primus/Cybertron to go with Unicron (Hell, Hasbro could probably even get away with running a “second chance” on Unicron to go with it), or an actual play set. Transformers’ traditional play patterns and the current state of retail really works against the traditional large scale play set.

I think an Ark modular playset would do well. Allow options to either set up a command bridge setup or a “standing around Teletran” setup. Extensions could be more parts to build out things like Wheeljack’s lab, or the Medical bay. Maybe the Dinobot cave? It’s something we’d have NO chance of seeing at retail and would work to elevate the display across multiple collector ranges, from G1 to modern.

On the commentary about Omega Prime? I refuse to believe that Hasbro would find it impossible to find venues to do a RiD Optimus Prime and a RiD Ultra Magnus. Both are popular characters, and if they are willing to spend the last 3 years rolling out Leader 86 Dinobots, or two years rolling out a Studio Series Devastator across all price ranges; It shouldn’t be too hard to spread the two out over a couple of years. Even as Commanders.

That said…if Omega Prime was the HasLab, would I back it? Frankly…yes. As much as I might fuss about the release venue, RiD Optimus Prime holds a particular place in my memories. When I was FAR younger, when I was making the move from “kid fan” to “adult fan/collector”, the first toy I bought under that mentality was Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime. RiD really did hit at the “perfect storm” of conditions, and while I knew of the Japanese release, the ease of availability and cost lead me to using the funds from my first paycheck to get Optimus Prime. I never did get Ultra Magnus so being able to get a fresh version WITH Ultra Magnus? Hasbro would probably have me pegged with that…

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It was going to be a SS86 Grimlock retool.
Eh, it was one of those recent Leaders :p

But I think my point stands: Hasbro probably would have made a “good enough” Deathsaurus even if a retool. Just like I think Legacy Skyquake/Dreadwing have the potential to give us “good enough” iterations of King Atlas, Machine Wars Starscream or G1 Sky Quake, despite the compromises for the Prime characters.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
despite the compromises for the Prime characters.
And such compromises shouldn't have even had to exist considering all the Beast Wars characters got to keep their aesthetic, which is completely different from that of G1 and the Unicron Trilogy. If anything, Beast Wars's aesthetic is much closer to that of Prime than any others.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Eh, it was one of those recent Leaders :p

But I think my point stands: Hasbro probably would have made a “good enough” Deathsaurus even if a retool. Just like I think Legacy Skyquake/Dreadwing have the potential to give us “good enough” iterations of King Atlas, Machine Wars Starscream or G1 Sky Quake, despite the compromises for the Prime characters.
Good enough for a normal person, maybe, but... you've met Transformers fans, right?

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Well, tomorrow is the day we find out that HasLab Wheelie's final stretch goal is to raise enough money to hire a top attorney to draft out an ironclad contract that forbids Hasbro from ever doing it. ESPECIALLY not with the talking 'Tickle Me Elmo' based soundchip.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Maybe semi-circle, if they will show their new HasLab Botbots homage, a Snuggle Puggle lifesize transforming airplane neck pillow. The new promo will be,

"Great pillow, man! HasLab?"
"No, I has Pug. Don't turn into lab without 3rd party add-on kit..."
"Never mind."

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Omega Prime it is.

IMG_7660.png

The Phazer

Citizen
As expected character wise. To be fair they have done quite a good job of one of my favourite ever designs, but I still am not sure if I really feel the need to own this. A few minor things it does better. But likewise a few things are worse (all the headsculpts are off).

It must also be said it makes Deathsaurus look like very poor value when you see them side by side.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Looks Awesome.

The original Fire Convoy is a great toy and this one honestly looks even better. Making it bigger, more proportionate and more sturdy especially looks to take it from an A to an A+.

Ultra Magnus is a less great toy and this definitely seems to improve on that figures flaws. I'd really like to see how Bluebolt can fill in the gaps in Magnus that Evan mentioned cause that would be very nice.

Bluebolt himself looks awesome. Great design that improves on Magnus's big semi-awkward weapon by giving us a new character. Very cool.

And $250 seems like a great price for this to me. Love it.

-ZacWilliam, i'm kinda sold.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
While I cant back it due to income when it is backed because lets face it will be I might try and pick it up aftermarket

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Looks pretty darn cool. I don't think that I'm sold on the set yet, as I really only like Fire Convoy. I was always pretty "meh" on Ultra Magnus, and less enamored of the combined mode. Happy for those that want this though.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It looks good/fun, and actually not a bad value for $250, but I have no attachment to RiD, so this is one I can skip.

My main takeaway is that I'm glad that potential future Haslab Transformers projects won't necessarily all be in the $600 Unicron price range, but may well be down where I can theoretically justify them to myself.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, I like the changing of the weapons to Bluebolts, but other than that, I don't see a need to update my existing Omega Prime.

Nothing really wrong with this, I am just happy with the original and will put that money towards the Fort Max reissue instead.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
$250 is a solid price for these, and I don't even really care about the unlockables (maybe the Matrix Blade) but they'll likely get to them. But I'm really have to make some room on the shelves and in the budget, and it's not a good time for either.

Top Bottom