Ghostbusters General

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, the entire point seems to be to try to hand off the torch to a new generation.

Either the original cast, or the corporation seems DAMNED scared to actually do that.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, the entire point seems to be to try to hand off the torch to a new generation.

Either the original cast, or the corporation seems DAMNED scared to actually do that.

That was almost always the purpose of Ghostbusters 3, for as long as I know. Even back when Dan talked about it the 90s, he wanted to bring in a new generation, talking about wanting to bring in new guys like Chris Farley or Chris Rock; guys that were starting to make a name for themselves and probably more SNL Alums.

Suits seen the reaction to ATC, a movie where the original Cast was barely in it and not as their original characters. And that was one of the really loud complaints. So now both 3 and 4 is trying to keep "new cast" and "old guys" as much as possible.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That was almost always the purpose of Ghostbusters 3, for as long as I know. Even back when Dan talked about it the 90s, he wanted to bring in a new generation, talking about wanting to bring in new guys like Chris Farley or Chris Rock; guys that were starting to make a name for themselves and probably more SNL Alums.

Suits seen the reaction to ATC, a movie where the original Cast was barely in it and not as their original characters. And that was one of the really loud complaints. So now both 3 and 4 is trying to keep "new cast" and "old guys" as much as possible.

The studio higher-ups almost always seem to take the exactly wrong lesson away from a movie's success or failure. It very much feels like a Steve Martin in The Jerk "he hates these cans!!" sort of reaction.

9 times out of 10, a movie is a success or failure because it's well written or at least fun-but-dumb. The studios almost always seem to look for any other possible explanation.

Echowarrior

Citizen
The sad thing is, they might think that JMS is a little too big for them. Which is a shame, but there you are.

Axaday

Citizen
In Hollywood, keeping a steady job is tricky. I can understand why JMS would like the work. But aside from sentimental value or something, there's no reason they actually need the guy who thought up weird villains in the 80s to think up similarly weird villains now.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, I agree. On one hand JMS did write some, if not most, of the best and memorable episodes of the series; so havng him involved in the movies could be very interesting; but on the other hand; yeah just becuase he's one of the talents behind the cartoon, doesn't mean he's needed for them homaging the cartoon.

Badgertron

Citizen
I still feel like, if they had just set ATC in-universe, as fans of the originals or having to step up bc the originals weren't there or something, the movie would have gone over a lot better, and could have served as a bridge for Afterlife.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Honestly, ATC felt TOO referential of the first movie. That movie was never going to be better than the original and beating the audience over the head with references not only negatively impacts the movie developing it's own identity, but also just reminds them of a film they'd probably rather be watching.

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly, ATC felt TOO referential of the first movie. That movie was never going to be better than the original and beating the audience over the head with references not only negatively impacts the movie developing it's own identity, but also just reminds them of a film they'd probably rather be watching.

And Afterlife DIDN'T? All Afterlife does is beat you over the head with refences to the first movie.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Both were mired in nostalgia enough to really ruin whatever was unique in both to be fair. Casting largely is what ruins AtC for me. Afterlife is just the fact that we got the first movie’s antagonist reused for the third time counting the Video Game. and unlike the video game they aped the whole plot.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
EDIT: I just realized we're just rehashing a conversation we had back in November. I don't hold my opinion in such high esteem that I think y'all need to listen to it again, so I'll just dip out of this conversation for the time being.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It does get very circular in how discussions go about the last two films in any group I’ve felt.

In the next films news however I feel like after they said something about taking RGB as inspiration for Frozen Enpire it really didn’t feel like we needed J. Michael Straczynski to chime in saying they didn’t consult with him. Sure he wrote a ton of the show and all, but someone doesn’t need to be called on to be inspired by their work. Kinda feels like he’s just disappointed that he didn’t get to play in the films.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
IMG_2888.jpeg

I finally got a true Slimer toy. That pack-in was nice and al, but I really wanted an actual Slimer toy.

IMG_2889.jpeg

Aside from fright feature, the only other thing you can really do is move its arms. Still Nice.

IMG_2890.jpeg

And here's its fright feature.

Shadewing

Citizen
I like that trailer better then the last one, this one starts to feel more like a ghostbusters movie and not focusing on being epic.

Top Bottom