Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I've been following Lower Decks but I've only seen two Strange New World eps (the first ep and the Aliens xenomorph ish type ep) soooo will I still enjoy the crossover, even without knowing much about the strange new crew?

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
There's plenty to love here for a fan of either show who's only passingly familiar with the other. It does incredibly right by both shows and is extremely true to the formula and cast of both. Some gags will inevitably be lost or a little confusing, but!

The first moments of the opening I was burbling "are they really? Is it really?!" and then they just really did it, I was in awe. Every shot of the opening had me giggling with how deliberately and thoughtfully they were adapted with things like the 2D parallax matte painted elements in the "flying over an alien world" bits even before the space energy parasite showed up. I never would have noticed the koala but April caught it.

Ortegas hanging out with Mariner was so satisfying. Kills me that this episode did more in the end for Uhura's work-life balance than the last episode that was nominally about it. Spock and Boimler trying to synthesize the heironium was a pure Lower Decks scene in live action and pure glee. Pike admitting that he already knows his own future when Boimler is trying desperately to say it without saying it after Boimler and Mariner have spent the episode doing nothing but stepping on butterflies so that this one thing that even Boimler thinks is a big deal is the one thing he didn't need to worry about was chef's-kiss perfection.

Absolute master class in setup and payoff too, holy shit. Not just Tendi near the start setting up the ending, but Boimler talking about Pike's Enterprise as the "original Enterprise - well, second Enterprise, but" in the way that fans always have to qualify ... and then Archer's Enterprise becomes a plot device for the ending. Incredible.

Loving the handful of DS9 callouts too, don't get enough of those IMO!

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, that was a truly fun episode that managed what could've been a ridiculous conceit very well.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ok, I saw it. Boimler was great. I think Mariner could have had one action bit, since she usually does one.

I don't get the thing about Spock smiling. I thought Boimler brought a sort of Vulcan space disease that caused him to shift emotions and they'd have to stop it. But, nope, it was something I don't know about.

I would have loved more tender moments like in the end with the Orions. Btw, what series did Orions first appear in?

Cute ending with the crew realizing what's up with their perception, hahaha

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I would have loved more tender moments like in the end with the Orions. Btw, what series did Orions first appear in?

91F0ABCE-81A9-44FC-B644-F38F3D77751F.jpeg

Original Pilot: The Cage

-ZacWilliam, literally as old as Star Trek

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
That's pretty old.

Oh, I didn't get all that 'don't tell Pike something and he should talk to his friends' like Pike is going to die in the immediate future.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
He has about five years. So it's not immediate immediate.... (Of course, Pike doesn't die, and ultimately ends up in a very good dream for an indeterminate lifespan, but his life as he now knows it ends.)

The gag is mostly that among all of the things that Boimler is terrified of revealing the specifics of, but inevitably reveals way too much of regardless, this could possibly have been the single worst, and even Mariner is basically in the same place now, but thanks to the time crystal and that visit from future Pike at the end of last season, Pike knows all about it, so this is the one thing they didn't actually have to worry over. Boimler's been doing nothing but nervously backing into stepping on more butterflies the whole time, so seeing him nervously alluding to the only bit of future knowledge that won't actually cause a problem is funny.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've been following Lower Decks but I've only seen two Strange New World eps (the first ep and the Aliens xenomorph ish type ep) soooo will I still enjoy the crossover, even without knowing much about the strange new crew?

You might not get the full gist of everything, but you should be fine. It's mostly focused on the LD characters than the SNW ones. Just know that Captain Pike knows that he is destined to be injured in a training accident in a few years, and the LD crew doesn't know that he knows.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ok, the Uhura episode was great. I loved that we got some more of Hemmer, even if the Zombie one freaked me out.

The LD episode, I watched last night and loved it! I liked that the Orions really appreciated that they weren't assumed to be pirates, and that they were able to peacefully resolve everything. Also, the guy playing Boimler is really tall, they should make his character a bit taller to match in LD.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I really hope that the crossover ep gets rebroadcast at some point, because I want it to live on my PVR forever...or until the hard drive dies, at least.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
The LD episode, I watched last night and loved it! I liked that the Andorians really appreciated that they weren't assumed to be pirates, and that they were able to peacefully resolve everything. Also, the guy playing Boimler is really tall, they should make his character a bit taller to match in LD.
I love that the Orions were written exactly as if they were in a Lower Decks episode. That last little negotiation felt like Pike and La'an were the ones visiting. Oh, and how cool was it that we got to see the old Orion ship again and in pretty CG? God.

Jack Quaid is so tall. It's bizarre. It's frightening. I think I would have preferred going the other way, where they could have used CGI and had him kneel a lot like Elijah Wood.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I realized while watching this latest ep that I think I like this guy better as Kirk than Shatner (blasphemy I know).

I'll happily join you in that blasphemy. Never liked Shatner, and don't particularly care for Pine, but I actually like this Kirk, which really isn't something I thought I'd ever say.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
You know whats great usually after ep of a show drops and you look at reactions of it your slapped in the face with some really bad take of some sad clown that didnt like the ep

I have not seen that take so far with SNW TOS Im sure there someone why has a no fun stick shoved firmly up there ass, but I have personally yet to see that
Genuinely this seems like a well liked ep all around

Dvandom

Citizen
I like Pine as an actor, but his take on Kirk was too different, too much "fan cliches given form" for my taste. Which, to be frank, was not his fault, he just got stuck playing a flanderization.

---Dave

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
You know whats great usually after ep of a show drops and you look at reactions of it your slapped in the face with some really bad take of some sad clown that didnt like the ep

I have not seen that take so far with SNW TOS Im sure there someone why has a no fun stick shoved firmly up there ass, but I have personally yet to see that
Genuinely this seems like a well liked ep all around
That's largely my reaction to the comments I've seen elsewhere vs. here about the upcoming musical episode.

Seriously, people who don't like musicals REALLY seem to hate them, don't they? Glad reactions here haven't been like that.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't like his hair color. It's like they are going with the movies hair where Shatner had it more like a dark brown than the Blonde/golden he had in TOS.

1690304425780.png

1690304506139.png

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Seriously, people who don't like musicals REALLY seem to hate them, don't they? Glad reactions here haven't been like that.
Those of us who like musicals* can be rather enthusiastic about them, so I think this is a longstanding division. For some people, the musical format just doesn't click or do anything for them, and I think people can fairly or unfairly begin to feel like the target of proselytism and respond defensively. It seems parallel to conflicts I've seen between furries like me and the people who really, really don't get it.

* I've also seen people insist that "musicals" properly refers to musical theater first. I don't follow this usage myself, because I think the film and television genre is just as good and creative, and that live theater in its present form is an inherently classist art form. But in this case it's probably their enthusiasm and my boundary maintenance at work.

Axaday

Citizen
I can't imagine what it would be like to just "Wanna go to Hamilton on Friday?" "No let's go to Lion King". You have to live in New York City or London. Where I live there is a shot at seeing either of them every few years.

My daughter asked out of the blue the other day if she could see Wicked. My wife was delighted. They'll go in about a year.

Top Bottom