How to survive?

Axaday

Citizen
Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 3000 BC.

Why haven’t we found a cure yet?

We've had sulfuric acid for 4 billion years. Why does it still burn us?

People are able to live normal lives with HIV/AIDS with medications. Why haven’t we done the same for cancer.

A lot of people live pretty normal lives with leukemia nowadays.

If we were able to do it with HIV/AIDS in less than 40 years, how come we haven’t been able to do the same with cancer given well over 5000 years?

It is just two totally different jobs.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I only get a checkup once every 10 years, maybe longer, because I wouldn’t want to know if I have terminal cancer or if I have only a month to live.

Why would anyone want to know that?

Having that knowledge would weaken your immune system further, so your body cannot naturally heal and clear the cancer naturally.

I heard of people curing themselves of terminal cancer by watching funny movies, which leads me to believe people may be better off just enjoying and going about their lives.

I’ve heard from a couple of people that everyone has cancer. We all have cancer cells in our bodies all of the time. It’s just your immune system is constantly killing them off. Is this true?

If that’s the case isn’t it better not to know, so that your immune system is functioning at peak levels, and not suppressed by the anxiety, fear, stress, and depression that comes from knowing you have cancer.

I heard one of the kids on those St, Jude commercials say, “The worst thing about cancer is knowing that you have it. “

Perhaps ignorance is bliss, and gives your body the best chance at natural healing and survival.

Axaday

Citizen
I only get a checkup once every 10 years, maybe longer, because I wouldn’t want to know if I have terminal cancer or if I have only a month to live.

Why would anyone want to know that?

No one would want that to be their truth, but if it is in fact their truth, a lot of people who had only a month to live would want to know it so that they could get and give some closure with loved ones and make arrangements. Their will so they know others will be taken care of. Bills and projects so that untangling their mess will be as little of a burden as possible to others. Time to contemplate, perhaps explore some religion or philosophy that they've put off.

And really despite your continued insistence, people who have no idea that they have any problem do not go to the doctor and find out they will die in a month. Someone dying of cancer next month has gone to the doctor because they are having serious health problems that they want explained.

Having that knowledge would weaken your immune system further, so your body cannot naturally heal and clear the cancer naturally.

People with a month to live have had plenty of time for ignorance to heal them and it hasn't worked.

I heard of people curing themselves of terminal cancer by watching funny movies, which leads me to believe people may be better off just enjoying and going about their lives.

I have heard of how reuniting the unity crystals restored magic to Equestria.

I’ve heard from a couple of people that everyone has cancer. We all have cancer cells in our bodies all of the time. It’s just your immune system is constantly killing them off. Is this true?

Yes, probably. We are always getting viruses too. And toxins in our food. Our body has a certain capacity to take care of these. But when there is too much too fast, we are in trouble.

If that’s the case isn’t it better not to know, so that your immune system is functioning at peak levels, and not suppressed by the anxiety, fear, stress, and depression that comes from knowing you have cancer.

I heard one of the kids on those St, Jude commercials say, “The worst thing about cancer is knowing that you have it. “

Perhaps ignorance is bliss, and gives your body the best chance at natural healing and survival.

That kid did not mean he would rather have it and not know. He meant that knowing you have cancer is very scary and depressing.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO FINDS OUT THEY HAVE CANCER HAD CANCER BEFORE THEY FOUND OUT AND IT GREW TO A PROBLEMATIC STAGE WHILE THEY WERE IGNORANT OF IT. Why would continued ignorance turn things around?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
If a girl gets pregnant because she failed to take birth control, and then she decides to have the baby anyway after the guy offered to help pay for the abortion, why should the guy have to compromise his own survival by paying child support for her decisions not to take birth control and to have the baby?

Axaday

Citizen
Sounds like both of them failed to take birth control. The answer is because child support is not for the mother. It's for your child.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Is being homeless bad if someone chooses to be homeless? They think they’re being smart because they don’t have to pay rent or worry about bills. Maybe they work odd jobs to have money for food. Then at night they sleep on the beach in a sleeping bag. Is there an argument against this lifestyle if these people actually prefer it, living carefree and outside the rat race. Isn’t this similar to the hippie movement popular in the 1960’s where people lived in communes?

Axaday

Citizen
I guess I would have to say, though, that you mostly have a poorly framed question again. I DID see a documentary once where a homeless person was about 19 and from an economically stable family and she said was living on the streets because she liked the adventure. She was also doing drugs and I suspect her economically stable family had problems that she didn't talk about on camera.

If someone legit feels like unplugging and camping in the city for the sake of Thoreau's simplicity, I have nothing against it. But I think that is vanishingly rare. The vast majority of homeless people have psychological and emotional problems and have fallen through the safety net. They didn't have or couldn't trust friends and family to help them get help and they don't trust the government or charities or other organizations set up to help them. I think upwards of 98% of them did not make a decision of sound mind to go live on the streets. They just descended to it a few steps at a time and don't know how to repair their situation.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
It's not just people with mental issues - that's a bit of a fallacy too. With the huge portion of Americans living paycheck-to-paycheck, all it takes is a bad medical bill or some other emergency that can put you on a spiral you can't economically get out of. And once you ARE on the street, without an address for background checks etc, it's a lot harder to get hired to claw your way out if you weren't able to hold onto your job(and layoffs can cause this too). There are programs that help, but in some areas they can have a 6 month waitlist or more. Saying the majority has psychological or emotional problems dismisses all those issues. And let's not forget the LGBT barely-adults who get booted out of their homes by non-tolerant parents(or leave because they know what'll happen if said parents find out) and don't have a large enough support network to get a permanent roommate or couch-surf their way around the area, or the resources to get a place on their own.

As far as voluntary homelessness, it depends on how you define the homelessness part. I know one guy personally who's permanently moved into an RV by choice. He does IT so he doesn't need to be physically present, and he wants to go travelling, so he's bringing his home with him. So, is he actually homeless?

Also for a non-american perspective, in Europe backpacking across the continent or at least your county isn't a strange thing there - or at least it wasn't 20 years ago when I was taking German. Our books talked about people staying at hostels as your shelter as you travelled.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
During the pandemic, when we were working from home every day, I liked it. I heard some who were not working and collecting unemployment also liked not working.

When the pandemic was over, employees refused to to go back onsite into work because they liked working from home, and management was not going back into work so why should they. Those who were collecting unemployment decided they liked not working and dropped out of the workforce.

I lost my job and have also discovered that I like not working, and I want to find a job where I can work from home every day.

Is this a problem? Am I being unreasonable or unrealistic?

Can I survive with this mindset or do I need to lower my expectations?

The service industry is experiencing a shortage of workers everywhere because people have decided en masse during the pandemic that they don’t want to and are too good to work onsite for minimum wage. They realized they deserve better. They want to find jobs where they can work from home everyday and be paid well above minimum wage.

And if they can’t find this, they will resign from having to work altogether. I’m afraid this may happen to me as well.

Can we individually and as a society survive with such a great resignation from work? The problem I had at my work was that they wanted just a handful of the company to work onsite everyday while the rest of the company (ie. well over 80%-90%) would get to work from home everyday. I thought that this was very unfair. I’m guessing other organizations are also facing this issue, problem, dilemma.

How can we survive if most of us don’t want to work anymore, or commute to and from work ever again? I’m scared of what I may have become.

Axaday

Citizen
During the pandemic, when we were working from home every day, I liked it. I heard some who were not working and collecting unemployment also liked not working.

When the pandemic was over, employees refused to to go back onsite into work because they liked working from home, and management was not going back into work so why should they. Those who were collecting unemployment decided they liked not working and dropped out of the workforce.

It really isn't an opt in / opt out thing. People can only collect unemployment for so long and then they are going to need money.

I lost my job and have also discovered that I like not working, and I want to find a job where I can work from home every day.

Is this a problem? Am I being unreasonable or unrealistic?

Can I survive with this mindset or do I need to lower my expectations?

It depends on what you know how to do. Businesses ARE realizing that more jobs can go home and some of them are adapting, but there are still a lot of sticks in the mud. I'm not the person who can tell you if you are being unrealistic. Determine that by watching to see if you can find a job that works from home. If you can't, I am not sending you a check...

The service industry is experiencing a shortage of workers everywhere because people have decided en masse during the pandemic that they don’t want to and are too good to work onsite for minimum wage. They realized they deserve better. They want to find jobs where they can work from home everyday and be paid well above minimum wage.

And if they can’t find this, they will resign from having to work altogether. I’m afraid this may happen to me as well.

That is what some people want you to think happened, but it isn't what happened. The unemployment rate is at a very low 3.5%. A higher than normal portion of people retired during the pandemic, because there are always a chunk of people who COULD retire if they needed to, but don't mind working to get a better retirement. Those people retired because of pandemic hassles or pandemic fears or because jobs were furrowed anyway and it made it a good time. So a higher than normal portion of people were able to trickle up the job ladder. We don't have this giant chunk of people refusing to work because they got a big stimulus check a few years ago. You just can't do that.

Can we individually and as a society survive with such a great resignation from work? The problem I had at my work was that they wanted just a handful of the company to work onsite everyday while the rest of the company (ie. well over 80%-90%) would get to work from home everyday. I thought that this was very unfair. I’m guessing other organizations are also facing this issue, problem, dilemma.

How can we survive if most of us don’t want to work anymore, or commute to and from work ever again? I’m scared of what I may have become.

Unless you can find money, you will become a starving person. Don't go back to your old job. But you ought to look for some job.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
It really isn't an opt in / opt out thing. People can only collect unemployment for so long and then they are going to need money.

It depends on what you know how to do. Businesses ARE realizing that more jobs can go home and some of them are adapting, but there are still a lot of sticks in the mud. I'm not the person who can tell you if you are being unrealistic. Determine that by watching to see if you can find a job that works from home. If you can't, I am not sending you a check...

That is what some people want you to think happened, but it isn't what happened. The unemployment rate is at a very low 3.5%. A higher than normal portion of people retired during the pandemic, because there are always a chunk of people who COULD retire if they needed to, but don't mind working to get a better retirement. Those people retired because of pandemic hassles or pandemic fears or because jobs were furrowed anyway and it made it a good time. So a higher than normal portion of people were able to trickle up the job ladder. We don't have this giant chunk of people refusing to work because they got a big stimulus check a few years ago. You just can't do that.

Unless you can find money, you will become a starving person. Don't go back to your old job. But you ought to look for some job.

Is it just my imagination or have crime and homeless increased since the pandemic? How do you account for that when there are plenty of jobs and low unemployment?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
If anyone on this site works in the Los Angeles area on the Westside, let me know if you can get me hired into an easy, stress-free job at your company, hopefully a reputable and established company like Apple or Google. I don’t have the energy or motivation for a demanding job at a start-up.

Or if this website needs another webmaster, I’m willing to learn how to program.

I want to work from home in both cases if at all possible. I’d like full benefits, PTO days, holidays, vacations, 401K, vision and dental.

Please keep your eyes and hears open for an easy, low-stress job as I would like to bridge into active retirement.

Thank You.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Do you ever lie in bed and cry at night not knowing if you’ll be able to survive or if your family will leave you because you can’t find a job? And you feel like a loser, like no one will ever love you when they find out you’re not working.

Axaday

Citizen
Do you ever lie in bed and cry at night not knowing if you’ll be able to survive or if your family will leave you because you can’t find a job? And you feel like a loser, like no one will ever love you when they find out you’re not working.
No

Top Bottom