How to survive?

Axaday

Citizen
My fridge has a filtered, chilled water dispenser on the front and most of the water I drink comes out of that. But the water fountains at work are just chilled tap water and it is fine here. I think your utility company is required to publish testing results.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen

Matthew 6:25-34

New International Version

Do Not Worry​

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’ve heard some people swear by meditation.

It sounds like a useful survival skill.

How do you do it?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I really wish this was true to life:

but I heard this only happens in less than 10% of the cases where a person’s heart stops. I think the cold water preserves the brain for a little longer here.

TV shows and movies would have you believe that this happens all the time, but it doesn’t. It’s very rare. It’s just not good for the body and especially the brain for the heart to stop.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
When I had a job, I wished I did not have to work so hard. I wanted an easier, better, less stressful life, more time to relax and have fun.

Now that I’m unemployed I feel like I should be doing something to get a steady flow and stream of money coming in.

It’s a paradox.

I felt my job defined me, gave me status and self-esteem.

Now that I lost my job, I feel like my family is distancing themselves from me.

I feel lonely and depressed, like I’ve been dumped. Sometimes I feel like nothing without a job.

I can see why some people turn to drugs and alcohol.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I never went to the doctor when I was growing up. We couldn’t afford it.

None of my immediate family goes to get a physical once a year like they say you should.

My family’s thinking has always been to go to the doctor when there’s something wrong with us.

Is this a problem?

Axaday

Citizen
I never went to the doctor when I was growing up. We couldn’t afford it.

None of my immediate family goes to get a physical once a year like they say you should.

My family’s thinking has always been to go to the doctor when there’s something wrong with us.

Is this a problem?
In the majority of cases that is fine. But things can be found in a physical that can be corrected in a timely manner. If your blood sugar or cholesterol are getting too high, you won't feel the symptoms for a while. When you do, there may be irreversible damage.

My work pays us $100 to get a blood screening every year and they don't get to see the results. They just feel like if we see the results it may benefit them.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
In the majority of cases that is fine. But things can be found in a physical that can be corrected in a timely manner. If your blood sugar or cholesterol are getting too high, you won't feel the symptoms for a while. When you do, there may be irreversible damage.

My work pays us $100 to get a blood screening every year and they don't get to see the results. They just feel like if we see the results it may benefit them.

I used to preach so-called “early detection” but I’ve seen more damage to people knowing than if they had just not gone to the doctor.

I had a friend who got a doctor’s check-up, and they said they needed to cut out 2/3 of this stomach because it had the precursor to cancer, something called metaplasia. Mind you he had no symptoms. He looked just fine, and as far as I know he felt fine.

I pleaded with him not to do it. He was over 70 years old and he was already naturally too skinny. So I had a bad feeling about this operation.

He went ahead with it anyway the next week.

He was cancer-free if you want to call it that since from my point of view he did not have cancer in the first place. There was nothing wrong with him.

Well he died in a matter of months after the procedure, from extreme, uncontrollable weight loss, resulting in pneumonia.

And I’ve been blaming myself ever since because I felt like maybe, somehow I could have stopped him from getting that damn operation. I felt something bad was going to happen afterwards and that’s what happened. I saw what was happening in front of me and I failed to stop it.

So it seems to me that getting checked out in many cases may only tell you that you are going to die. That’s it. And there’s nothing that can be done about it, and the things that can be done will just make you worse and make you die a lot quicker and sooner.

So I understand when people say to me, “Why would I want to know that?” This was when I used to preach getting physicals every year and early detection.

Axaday

Citizen
I'm surprised that they did that. My dad has cancer on a kidney, found while looking for something else. It is small and slow growing and he is 72 and they just told him they'll keep looking at it once or twice a year, but they do not believe the cancer has enough time to do much harm.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’d like to give kudos praise to Starbucks and Coffee Bean baristas, and Ralph’s and other grocery store workers.

You guys and gals have a much stronger survival instinct than I do.

I tried to work at the Coffee Bean and Ralph’s and only lasted a couple of days. I couldn’t hack it.

Baristas and grocery workers are truly warriors.

This was me at the end of just 2 days trying to work at a coffee shop and a grocery store:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
When are you allowed to fight back physically and legally?

People say that violence does not solve anything, but I don’t think this is an absolute rule.

I think there are times and circumstances when you should defend yourself by throwing a punch.

For example, I’ve been encountering random homeless people on the streets or at Starbucks that sit or walk close to me, sometimes hassling me for money or to buy them coffee.

I also am concerned that they might be trying to steal from me. Is this a situation where fighting back makes sense?

Axaday

Citizen
How many times have you encountered them so far and how many of those times have they stolen from you?

Laws vary, but the general concept is that you are allowed to use violence when you have a rational belief that you are in immediate danger and the allowed violence is only what you have a rational belief is necessary to get you back out of danger.

It is a pretty risky calculation. But if you hit a homeless person asking you for money in a well-lit public place and no homeless person has ever harmed you, it is reasonable to expect that you'll get arrested for assault. You will be presented to a jury as a person who hurts less fortunate people and your freedom will depend on whether you can give them a reasonable doubt about it.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
If anyone has tried this or any other supplements:

I’d like to know if it worked for you. I’d like to increase my drive, energy, passion, and motivation for life.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
If you were an employee at a company for a long time and got laid off because you suspect that it was because you refused to work onsite every day while 90%+ of the employees were working from home every day, would you go back to that same job if they wanted you to come back as a contractor with no rights, benefits, days off, or prospects of ever getting hired back as an employee? And you suspect the reason is because as a contractor they can require you to work onsite every day without pushback.

Would you go back? Or is it better to move on, and not look back?

Isn’t it a bad idea to go back the way you came?

I think it might be like a tv show that stays on the air way past its prime. Instead of canceling the show when it’s still semi-decent, they just keep going with it until they run the show completely into the ground.

I left my company on fairly neutral to good terms when I got laid off. I wasn’t close to anyone, so I didn’t need to say goodbye to anyone. I was always someone who kept to myself; that’s why I liked working from home.

I feel like I should just leave it at that. I’m afraid if I try to go back I’ll ruin any positive memories I have of that place, possibly leaving next time with animosity, hate, and a lot of bad/negative/angry feelings.

Axaday

Citizen
It just depends on your options. If it would pay your bills and you are already competent on the work, I would definitely consider it as an option.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I would see such a thing as an opportunity, as it lets you bring in money, keep your skills current, and prevents a resume gap, while also as a contractor allowing you the flexibility to look into other jobs and opportunities as they come. It also can help you get out of the mental rut of desperately hoping you can stay home. You need to stop obsessing about '90% of the company', and instead look at what the job IS and why it is needed to be on-site. Even IT has things that can not be accomplished remotely. Ever had to have a breaker reset FAST? You can't wait for someone to drive out, someone has to be on-site to do the job NOW. The COVID job situation is over, and now the economy is being forced to reset in new ways. Most 'at home' workers I know who didn't wind up back in the office wound up out of a job.

If you have the chance, it would be a good idea to accept it and use it to help yourself up and reset your perspectives. You have said you don't want to work, but unless you work NOW you will have no means to set up for retirement, and you will be working low-wage jobs into your elderly years.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Exactly. That's why I figure, take the opportunity that's there, so you can better prepare yourself for a better oppertunity later. Otherwise you're just taking resources away from yourself, and that's self defeating.

Top Bottom