Petition: Inspire Hasbro to Release an Extended Cut of the Transformers 1986 Film

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, I'd buy it and watch it. It would probably be the only version I watch ever again. I love extended cuts. But this isn't happening.

Our best bet would have been a comic adaptation that included all the cut scenes, but IDW blew it on that.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
In all seriousness, I don't know how many 'extra' scenes even exist. It's not like live action where you might have a lot of extra footage done 'to try things' and so you have a lot of alternate takes. In animation, you usually don't have a lot of spare scenes as they have to be created very deliberately. Sure, you might have a lot of sound-booth stuff like Thundercats had, but no 'extra' stuff to add from it. I might be wrong but the idea that there is some huge amount of unused footage that could be added back in just strikes me as very unlikely.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If they felt like spending money on it, yes, but unless voice recordings exist the scenes would feel empty.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As much as people gripe about AI stuff they could probably recreate the character voices for something like this using AI generators.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Honestly, if they WERE going to mess with the movie, I'd rather they just put out a remaster that fixes animation errors, adds Snarl into the background of a few more shots and basic stuff like that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
They could animate the unused storyboards, couldn't they?
Who is "They"? Hasbro is a toymaking company. The movie (and the cartoon) was made by other companies licensed out with permission by Hasbro. and that took a lot of work involved since there were so many distinct parties at play at the time. There was Sunbow Productions, Marvel Productions, Toei Animation, Griffin Bacal, Inc., and many more disparate entities brought together for this project, and some of which don't even exist anymore.

And it's not like all the original assets used to make the film (character models, background art, script drafts, vocal recordings, sound effects, musical score, etc.) are all readily available to work with in one place. Heck, the surviving models, backgrounds, and scripts are something fans have been slowly trying to track down for decades, now.

To say nothing of the fact that several of the original voice actors have sadly passed on in the years since the film's release, and several of those still with us sound noticeably different than they did 30+ years ago, so any new dialogue from them (which would likely have to be recorded from scratch, anyway) for any new scenes would sound noticeably jarring compared to the vintage dialogue from way back then.

And because new dialogue would have to be recorded, that's more money that would have to be spent on this instead of just using existing voice recordings done back then that ultimately went unused in the final movie, of which there likely exists very little if any at all.

They could get modern voice actors to do the missing dialog.
But there's more to putting in new dialogue than just recording it. There has to be animation for it. And for that, new footage would have to be made from the ground up. And in this day and age, nearly all animation is now done digitally, which looks far different from the original hand-drawn animation of the 1986 movie. That clip you posted above is neat as a novelty on its own, but insert it into the actual movie and it suddenly takes you out of the movie experience due to the sudden stark shift in animation style that changes again when the movie resumes with its original footage. A whole movie like that with shifting animation that isn't trying to be an artsy film or a parody or some other deliberately outlandish experience would just be a mess.

Not to mention that the addition of new scenes would require a rescoring of the existing ones in order to accommodate the new ones. And depending on how many new scenes there would be, that could very well require a complete rescoring of the entire film!

Basically, no such extended cut of the movie has ever been made because it isn't seen as something that's logistically practical.

Last edited:

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I made this years ago, it explains everything about the movie's inconsistancies:

49142725902_d4d90b0288_o.jpg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The justifications on the petitions are pretty flimsy too.
Generate new social media buzz? Fan buzz doesn’t pay the bills. Buying CURRENT products, watching CURRENT media, THOSE will pay bills

And maximize revenue? It’s a nearly 40 year old animated film that has seen numerous releases across a theatrical run, syndication, DVD AND Blu-Ray. And are still leveraging that old film to sell toys TO THIS DAY. About the only film more maximized in revenue would be Star Wars by this point. And I don’t feel creating excised scenes (which is what this petition is really about) is going to magically make more people want to see this than already do. Certainly not enough to justify the expenses.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I see no point to releasing a so called extended cut of the 86 movie, aside from all of the lodgicial headaches and stuff, its not really worth it, about the only thing Hasbro could do is rerelease the film in its intended cut back into cinemas for a few days as a celeberation of the film, but that is about it, a lot of today's kids are unlikely to know of the existance of the 86 movie as they are watching whatever on TV or been exposed to the Bayfilms, so at the end of the day, a extended cut is pretty worthless as from what I understand, there is only couple of minor scenes that were cut and they are during the first part of the film when the Decepticons launch their attack on Autobot city, so in the end, its not really worth it!

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Yeah, for all the reasons people are giving, I don't see a need to back this. The 86 movie is fine as it is; its not high art, but it's a decent film in its own right. No reason to "improve" it.

Top Bottom