Petition: Inspire Hasbro to Release an Extended Cut of the Transformers 1986 Film

CrockAlley

Citizen
I feel like the scene of Magnus being drawn and quartered was absolutely animated since the voice/sound effects in the film are 100% from that version.
Animation work is done after the voices are recorded, no? Voice work is not an indication of finished animation.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ultra Magnus sure moves like the scene was at least partially animated as originally intended.

MrBlud

Citizen
Animation work is done after the voices are recorded, no? Voice work is not an indication of finished animation.

I was under the impression they’d do the voices last since it’s a much less intensive process.

Even so, look at the scenes in the finished film. The Sweeps very clearly fire non-broken energy ropes before it cuts to Magnus audibly straining (as if he was being torn apart) and being hit by distinct energy blasts which are quite clearly not the kind we just saw.

This is direct from the storyboards so I’d find it very strange for them to bother animating the first part as-is and then suddenly switch it to an incongruous shot. I figure it’s much more likely the sequence was animated fully and then they had to go back and animate something less violent after test screenings. That’s why the original energy beams shot was left in.

B592B4F0-D5A3-48ED-9BCC-F22F34CD0C84.jpeg

Platypus Prime

Citizen
It actually can vary. many times the voices are put in after animation, but there have been cases where animation was done around a performance (Robin Williams supposedly caused this in Alladin because he was so hard to script for) and other times the voices are done with the partially done storyboards. There's also variation in 'individual in sound booth', a more round-robin 'radio play' style like Beast Wars used, etc. And this is just stuff I picked up attending Voice Actor panels, there are probably even more styles I don't know about and I don't know how TF the Movie was done for any of it. The fact that so little 'extra' has popped up after this many decades is why I think it's probably just not there, but I've been wrong before.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A fan petition.

So many immediate reactions to the overly optimistic nature of this, the dressing up of a We Want This Okay concern with transparently spurious justifications, the very idea of believing a bunch of signatures is ever going to force the hand of a company to spend god knows how much creating stuff whole cloth (essentially) to tack onto what is already an asset that makes them money in its current "at no added cost" form.

But mainly, all of those together just make me feel old.

I remember when these were new and when most of the people around were easier to whip into an excited "yeah this'll totally work!" rather than the more cynical, more rational "yeah, this'll totally work."

I mean, I'd love to see it happen, but for decades now (OLD) I've made my peace with why it won't and doesn't need to.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
spend god knows how much creating stuff whole cloth

This is why I like the comic adaptation possibility. The deleted scenes don't cost any more to draw than anything else.

It's so annoying that IDW did the least interesting possible thing and just did an adaptation of the movie we already have.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This is why I like the comic adaptation possibility. The deleted scenes don't cost any more to draw than anything else.

It's so annoying that IDW did the least interesting possible thing and just did an adaptation of the movie we already have.
The TPB version did add this one new scene set during the Autobot City battle:

TAM_TPB_Gestalt_Fight.jpg

Granted, this scene was a completely new one that was made up for the comic, instead of being something cut from an earlier draft of the movie's script.

Rodimus_2316

Citizen
The TPB version did add this one new scene set during the Autobot City battle:

TAM_TPB_Gestalt_Fight.jpg

Granted, this scene was a completely new one that was made up for the comic, instead of being something cut from an earlier draft of the movie's script.

Well, my understanding was that the movie was started before these guys showed up in the cartoon, thus why they didn't show.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
An example of an actual deleted scene from the movie's storyboards that has been given the comic adaptation treatment would be this scene that Fun Publications published in Issue #43 of the TCC magazine:

3Av4EU1.jpg

Ai39aez.jpg

yMG2Npy.jpg

iY1zzDw.jpg

There are two more pages, but I left them out since they weren't related to the adaptation of the deleted scene, instead set at a time long after the events of TFTM, with Runabout and Runamuck talking to Jhiaxus about the aforementioned deleted scene events.

Anonymous X

Citizen
In all seriousness, I don't know how many 'extra' scenes even exist. It's not like live action where you might have a lot of extra footage done 'to try things' and so you have a lot of alternate takes. In animation, you usually don't have a lot of spare scenes as they have to be created very deliberately. Sure, you might have a lot of sound-booth stuff like Thundercats had, but no 'extra' stuff to add from it. I might be wrong but the idea that there is some huge amount of unused footage that could be added back in just strikes me as very unlikely.
I have to be honest, if the cut animated scenes still existed, or ever existed, in vaguely broadcast quality form (let alone HD or UHD) we would’ve probably seen them already in some form over the last 16 years. If they do exist and haven’t been seen… Well, there’s not long left to grab the film cels from the Toei vaults before they vinegarise.

Top Bottom