Star Trek Lower Decks

Dake

Citizen
Anything's possible, but I saw his interactions with the women in the first episode as just demonstrating his utter lack of awareness, while he clearly programmed the holo-girl to be his hot love-interest but no longer cared after the news.

Dvandom

Citizen
Yeah, Boimler is definitely interested in some women. But not the ones back on the farm...and while he can be kind of oblivious when focused on something else, he's not always in a monomaniacal state and he spent years with them before joining Starfleet. So, something is up. If it's just that Boimler's being obsessed with the captain, it would suggest that the "they're only interested now that he's become a Starfleet Hero" possibility is the right one.

Also, this season is showing that Boimler can win and still be the buttmonkey.

---Dave

MrBlud

Citizen
What hackneyed garbage.

The entire episode was like if a book of shitty sitcom cliches animated itself. Oh no the Boss is coming over for Dinner! I got embarrassed and through a comedic misunderstanding I took it out on someone that didn’t deserve it!

If not for the sci-fi trappings and fanwank this could’ve been a bad episode of “McHale’s Navy”.

It was certainly written like it belonged in the 60’s.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Got caught up to crisis point 2... should I be concerned that they seem to be closing the arcs on minor characters?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
There's a new ep already? Dang!

Also, I just saw it and had to share.
fU9H5de.jpeg

Why can't Tendi, Rutherford or Boimler be memes instead?

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
What hackneyed garbage.

The entire episode was like if a book of shitty sitcom cliches animated itself. Oh no the Boss is coming over for Dinner! I got embarrassed and through a comedic misunderstanding I took it out on someone that didn’t deserve it!

If not for the sci-fi trappings and fanwank this could’ve been a bad episode of “McHale’s Navy”.

It wasn't that bad. Though I will agree that the misunderstanding trope is old and tired and I'm sure there could have been a better way to have set the chain of events in motion.

The bigger problem is that the writers have regressed Captain Freeman to more of a season one version of herself (I also caught it a few episodes back when she was fighting with the Carlsbad's captain a few episodes back), which also seems to apply to her relationship with Mariner, too. The show should have been beyond this, now.

It's obvious that Admiral Buenamigo's check-in program was just a cover for the Texas class reveal, though that would also mean that he likely knew about the Breen occupation of Brekka. So, I guess he's trending towards "Badmiral" territory.

Starbase 80 is every bit as dire as it was made out to be. Old badges and unis, ratty shuttlecraft, bats... Yikes.

The show has a track record of resetting to status quo pretty fast, so I imagine it'll all be resolved by the end of next week.

MrBlud

Citizen
Starbase 80 is yet another example of them writing for a 20th Century sitcom but overlooking or ignoring the fact they’re in the 24th ******* Century. It’s also incredibly grating they demand to be full canon and do shit like this.

Outside of comedy, what’s the purpose/reason Starfleet would have a bunch of run down shit when they can literally rearrange/recycle matter? They can’t replicate current uniforms? They can’t have decent shuttle craft? They have to do stupid shit like chase an alien bat around with a broom in 2380!! instead of transporting it because “it funny when broom hit camera?”

I swear, this episode takes everything I hate about Lower Decks and shitty sitcoms and melds them gestalt like into something even worse than the separate components

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I can totally believe that a run down station can exist, especially when Starfleet has hundreds scattered across a quadrant or two.

Starbase 80 likely is a very old facility, stuck in a remote corner of space that has long since lost any kind of strategic value and subsequently been forgotten about. Probably every so often, some well meaning admiral remembers it's there and tosses whatever spare people and tech they can scrape up (even in the 2380's, resources are still finite). The only problem is that any talent they send that way likely pulls a Mariner and bails, and those that are left just can't maintain whatever is there, or has to prioritize the more important stuff over, say, shuttle maintenance.

Honestly, this could easily have been Deep Space Nine's - and to an extent Bajor's - fate, had it not been for the wormhole, and then the Dominion.

And, hey, maybe the broom was actually portable transporter on a stick! 🤣

Yes, I know I'm giving the writers too much credit, and yes, I know we're not going to agree on this, but, hey, discussion, right? :)

Shadewing

Citizen
I can totally believe that a run down station can exist, especially when Starfleet has hundreds scattered across a quadrant or two.

Starbase 80 likely is a very old facility, stuck in a remote corner of space that has long since lost any kind of strategic value and subsequently been forgotten about. Probably every so often, some well meaning admiral remembers it's there and tosses whatever spare people and tech they can scrape up (even in the 2380's, resources are still finite). The only problem is that any talent they send that way likely pulls a Mariner and bails, and those that are left just can't maintain whatever is there, or has to prioritize the more important stuff over, say, shuttle maintenance.

Honestly, this could easily have been Deep Space Nine's - and to an extent Bajor's - fate, had it not been for the wormhole, and then the Dominion.

And, hey, maybe the broom was actually portable transporter on a stick! 🤣

Yes, I know I'm giving the writers too much credit, and yes, I know we're not going to agree on this, but, hey, discussion, right? :)

Honestly, I kinda agree; even on the point of 'DS9 was kinda like this as well'; like of course it takes the idea a bit far and over the top; but then that's comedy. Starbase 80 could totally exist as a run-down station that's barely holding itself together while Star Fleet focuses on the most important parts. We've seen stuff like this before, again not to this extent; but things and places that sorta fall through the cracks because starfleet might be stretched a bit too thin, or because of corruption, or whatever. So yes, I am fine with comedy show having run-down station being comically rundown.

I'm also, mostly fine with the events around Mariner. Yes, its overall a classic bait and switch... but Mariner DOES have a rep about being reckless, and yes maybe the stories she told COULD have negatively impacted the reporter's perception, without Mariner being aware of it. She wants to tell 'the truth' and maybe her truth is telling a few wild adventure stories, that are ment to reflect well on the crew, but the Reporter only sees the negative side. That, to me, is totally in character with who Mariner is. She's a wild card. There's usually a method to her madness, even if occasionally there is a bit too much madness to her method. And she's been on thin ice since season one, and more so since the start of the season. Carol, I can also understand her regressing to a more Season 1 personality; because Mariner is right; She's under a lot of stress and 'Project Swingback' is her baby, and even though she's learned to accept her crew being... highly eccentric The idea that all that could be in the public eye, especially just after her trial? Yeah, I can totally believe she's stressed and doing her best to put what she feels is their best foot forward.

What I'm not fine with, is the rest of the crew shitting on Mariner, especially Jen. Carol being wound way too tight and making a rash decision based on the fact that it's something Mariner could have believably done, becuase she's extremely stressed? Yes, fine. For me there is enough logic there that it works without feeling too forced. However The crew, except for Boimler, Tardi, and Rutherford, all being assholes and thinking the worst of her? Even those that should also be close to her beyond the main cast? That's what hurts the plotline to me. That's where it starts to really feel forced.

Yes, this episode could have been better written and better executed; but I don't feel like its going completely against the characters, lore, and show's nature.

Dvandom

Citizen
Yeah, while I expect a reset to status quo ante pretty soon, a few things are not going back.
Specifically, that relationship with Jen is toast.
As for Starbase 80, have you considered that it might be left that way on purpose as a sort of halfway step to a penal colony? A place for people who really wanna be Starfleet but also really wanna just slack off once they find out how much work goes into being Starfleet, but haven't actually gone to the Do Crimes stage. You get assigned to SB80 and you have three options: You Have Found Your People, Shape Up, or Ship Out. If you're really intent on staying in Starfleet, you Shape Up and get promoted out again. But if you were just in Starfleet for the fancy uniforms and nifty tech, and didn't really wanna do the work, they're rid of you. The regulars on SB80 are therefore only those who really don't care. They probably get occasional visits from temporary crews who make sure they're not going to lose atmosphere or anything.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the 9th ep. No idea who the enemies were or how dangerous they are. I thought the worst of Mariner as everybody did so... haha? I do hope the status quo doesn't reset and we get a time skip ala Archer post coma, where we really how the crew handles as they are.

Shadewing

Citizen
At best, I see this going like Biomler at the start of Season 2, where its not instantly rolled back, and its like 3 or 4 episodes before Status Quo re-establishes itself. I'd love to be wrong, this show has been doing some really good things this season that at a bit less sitcom-y and pulling some away from the norm; but I have a hard time seeing them deviate drastically from the Status Quo for very long.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Saw the 9th ep. No idea who the enemies were or how dangerous they are. I thought the worst of Mariner as everybody did so... haha? I do hope the status quo doesn't reset and we get a time skip ala Archer post coma, where we really how the crew handles as they are.

The Breen were a late addition to the Dominion War, however they brought to the table a devastating energy dampener weapon that ripped through ships left, right, and center, with the exception of the Klingons (by sheer luck). It was only by getting their hands on a copy of the weapon that the Federation was able to counteract it (See Deep Space Nine, season 7). They were still a ruthless enemy all the same.

The Breen used the energy dampener against the Cerritos, and it looked to have been effective, though not quite to the extent that it had been during the Dominion War (as it took multiple shots to bring the Cerritos to a dead stop, and some control over systems was still maintained).

Having said that, the Texas class can apparently shred through Breen ships with ease, so they might not be as much of a threat as they used to be on the whole.

Shadewing

Citizen
The Breen were a late addition to the Dominion War, however they brought to the table a devastating energy dampener weapon that ripped through ships left, right, and center, with the exception of the Klingons (by sheer luck). It was only by getting their hands on a copy of the weapon that the Federation was able to counteract it (See Deep Space Nine, season 7). They were still a ruthless enemy all the same.

The Breen used the energy dampener against the Cerritos, and it looked to have been effective, though not quite to the extent that it had been during the Dominion War (as it took multiple shots to bring the Cerritos to a dead stop, and some control over systems was still maintained).

Having said that, the Texas class can apparently shred through Breen ships with ease, so they might not be as much of a threat as they used to be on the whole.

I just had a potential vision of the future. Here, we have an AI controlled Warship. It seems clearly designed to combat threats like the Breen and not sure how it could be used for anything else. This season ALSO set up the idea that the two evil AIs might team-up... and well... if two evil AIs somehow control/convince three super-powerful AI Warships to join them... That's gonna be a pretty epic finale in a later season.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
What hackneyed garbage.

Oh wow, I couldn't put my finger on it but it's that exactly! Like those old sitcoms with a class or a team and they have to get ready of an inspection or something or they get their funding cut.

There were a few good takeaways here but that A plot gets an F.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I just had a potential vision of the future. Here, we have an AI controlled Warship. It seems clearly designed to combat threats like the Breen and not sure how it could be used for anything else. This season ALSO set up the idea that the two evil AIs might team-up... and well... if two evil AIs somehow control/convince three super-powerful AI Warships to join them... That's gonna be a pretty epic finale in a later season.
Someone online suggested Badgey as the third evil AI, and despite not being sure how that would happen, would be a return I'd be ok with.

Cybersnark

Citizen
And we know from Picard that there's a synth "uprising" in four years (in 2385, whereas LD is currently in 2381).

Someone online suggested Badgey as the third evil AI, and despite not being sure how that would happen, would be a return I'd be ok with.
When Peanut Hamper escaped the debris field, we saw Rutherford's old implant float by and suddenly become active. There could be a trace of Badgey on that, either as or in addition to whatever "evil-Rutherford" protocols the Section-31-like guys installed.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
And we know from Picard that there's a synth "uprising" in four years (in 2385, whereas LD is currently in 2381).

When Peanut Hamper escaped the debris field, we saw Rutherford's old implant float by and suddenly become active. There could be a trace of Badgey on that, either as or in addition to whatever "evil-Rutherford" protocols the Section-31-like guys installed.
I'd forgotten about that! That would definitely work to get them back in the picture.

Top Bottom