What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We're in trouble. This is a bad issue, but it's such a good bumper sticker issue that they'll probably go through with it. "Why should Disney get to act as its own government?" sounds like such a reasonable question if you don't understand it. Disney can afford to bury DeSantis in ads explaining it, but it's going to be hard to do that without sounding creepy.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
The motivations behind this pushback are monstrous but I don't know why letting a megacorporation run its overpriced theme park like a cross between a company town and Galt's Gulch is a good thing either.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Two villains fighting each other, essentially. No matter who wins, Floridians lose. Question is which is worse at the moment? A capitalistic monstrosity intent on making money no matter what, but mostly limited to the entertainment industry, or a power-hungry fascist pandering to hypocritical libertarians(come on guys, you can't call yourself a libertarian and support someone who does everything but scream "I'M A FASCIST"), so-called Christians who are full of hate, and all-out conspiracy nutters.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It honestly puts me in mind of those Looking Glass Studios games from the '90s and early 2000s, where there'd invariably be some conflict in the background between two different extremist groups that are clearly both bad. Like, turn all the knobs up to max and you could literally make a BioShock game out of this: Instead of building a lame-ass theme park, thinly-veiled analog of Disney actually managed to build that corporatocratic City of the Future they wanted; instead of merely being semi-autonomous, they were able to convince the US to let it be its own nation-state for the sake of carrying out a grand sociological experiment; instead of just that state being taken over by a party with fascistic leanings, the whole country falls to a fascist dictatorship; and instead of a legal dispute in the legislature, the conflict turns into an all-out war. Cut, print, slap a $60 price tag on it, coming soon to an Xbox near you.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:

Conservatives LOVE pointing out that liberal activists often lack a material self-interest in their activism, as if that somehow makes their activism insincere.

Whether it's affluent people advocating for the poor, or straight people advocating for LGBT people, or white people advocating for minority rights, conservatives point at the lack of direct self-interest and see it as proof that their activism cannot possibly be sincere.

Someday, historians will look back on this era and ask why conservatives benefited politically from the very problems which they exacerbated: environmental devastation, wealth inequality, violence.

Unfortunately, it makes sense. When the future looks grim or even uncertain, people look to the comfort of the past, and that's what conservatism is selling. People aren't interested in analyzing cause and effect. They just know how they feel, and they know what brings a sense of comfort.

The Internet: a place that was invented by scientists and engineers so they could talk to each other, and was then transformed over the next 50 years into a place where uneducated morons spread conspiracy theories in which scientists and engineers are all evil.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
Because apparently picking a fight with a megacorp over gay rights and making it impossible for victims of rape, incest or human trafficking to get abortions, Ron DeSantis is now going after trans kids. And he's not just stopping at medical transitioning; he's against SOCIAL transitioning. Which means he's basically saying the quiet part out loud about how he wants trans people to not even exist.

Someone needs to beat this bastard into unconscious before he comes within striking distance of the presidency, since if he became president? I have no ******* doubt he'd open up death camps for LGBTQ people. What a ******* monster.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
He really does, and if biden wins the nomination to run as the democract representative...

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ask them to recite the constitution and they just start singing Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be An American". Followed up by a totally clueless rendition of "Born In The USA"

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Ask them to recite the constitution and they just start singing Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be An American". Followed up by a totally clueless rendition of "Born In The USA"
In which case you can go full simon powell on them.

"I asked for a thesis on constitutional statutes and laws, not a drunken karaoke night!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Our house has now voted to repeal the Reedy Creek Improvement Act as well. It'll be heading to DeSantis' desk.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Congrats Florida GOP, you just cut your own throats with this move.

Ironbite-Disney is about to bleed ya'll dry.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Either the GOP continues to flex their "values" over the people, or a corporation proves they can beat the government by throwing enough money at it. Nobody wins this fight.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
At least the corporation is smart enough to recognize how important things like eco-conservation and acceptance of equality are to its survival and bottom line. If I'm going to be under the thrall of a corporation, at least I'm being entertained by Disney's content.

Under the GOP, I'm one of the medical marginalized who are most apt to suffer under their "medical freedom" bullshit.

Top Bottom