Identify an old robot toy, definitely not a Transformer so I put it here

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Saw this guy in a lot of Gobots figures on ebay. Anyone know what it is? I think I had one as a kid, but I can't find any information about it.

old robots - Copy.jpg

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Looks like a knockoff of Xabungle

Aha! Thank you. That's definitely the toy from the ebay lot, but not the one I'm remembering. The Xabungle one turns into a futuristic truck-thing, whereas mine was some sort of spaceship. Had a roughly similar look to it, though. The memories are old and super fuzzy now.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Max Solarzord?

Oh, I'm way older than that. This would have been right around the 1984-1985 time period. The one I had was absolutely a knock-off, too, so the original version was probably a few years before that. It predates my first "real" Transforming robots, which were Zeemon and Hound, both of which I got for my birthday in December of 1985. The one I'm thinking of was a blue-and-white robot with a similar look to Xabungle there that turned into a spaceship/jet sort of thing with a lot of partsforming involved. Being only around 4 or 5 at the time, my memories of it are pretty unclear.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Braiger maybe? The time period is about right, and if it was a KO the colors may have been tweaked. It does have a car mode as well as spaceship mode though.

1705596585292.jpeg

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's probably just Xabungle. It does have a spaceship mode.

You may be right. Looking up the bootleg, I found this review which mentions that it was sold at K-Marts. K-Mart was pretty much the only "department store" in my little town at the time, so it seems like a likely source.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen

This is the one I had as a kid.

ZacWilliam, cot him and a red one at a local drug store with my Grandmother.

EDIT: Red One -

Dvandom

Citizen
That one at top looks specifically to be the Xabungle knockoff available at Big Lots in the 90s, they also had the support robot Irongear (robot to "land battleship").

---Dave

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's definitely a possibility for mine, too. There's a Big Lots to this day right next to where the K-Mart used to be, about a block away from where my Dad worked. I'm sure he would have been the one to bring it home.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was a Big Lots kid so I had plenty of mystery robots. Somehow I never ended up with a Xabungle despite how often it got KO'd.

I do have the Soul of Chogokin though.

Dvandom

Citizen
Yeah, I often treated them as a cheap way to see how the transformation worked, even if it didn't work WELL and I ended up tossing it in the trash later. I almost always got my money's worth out of the KOs carried by Big Lots and (the sadly deceased) Tuesday Morning...but that pipeline dried up years ago. My guess is that Hasbro and other companies started providing product to Big Lots et al to discourage the stores from going with KOs. Like, "Look, you know this is illegal, and we both know actually trying to apply the law here is more hassle than it's worth, so how about you stop carrying that junk, we'll make a special line of cheapo toys for you to carry instead?"

---Dave

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
And yet somehow my local Family Dollar still has the same 2007 movie Legends KOs on the pegs right next to whatever Hasbro is calling their current cheapo line sold at those places and Big Lots.

Top Bottom