Transformers Legacy toyline

Magnusblitz

Citizen
As is common with the Beast Era, the original toy's proportions are not as good as you remember. The changes are subtle, but they add up.

Yeah, my first reaction was "the new toy looks a bit better but not by much" then I went back and looked at some photos of the original and you're right - it's close, but there are a lot of little bits that add up.

That said, I'm still on the fence as whether the new one is (personally) worth getting. I tend to agree with Steevy that I wish they had experimented with changing some things up in the design a bit to try and improve it, but I understand that's always a risky move and may piss people off (just look at the reaction to Legacy RID Scourge). Might need to dig my original out of storage.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
If i were in charge of making a new Magmatron, the only thing that'd be on the list to change for sure are the head wings. Dude thinks he's Dumbo.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
If i were in charge of making a new Magmatron, the only thing that'd be on the list to change for sure are the head wings. Dude thinks he's Dumbo.
Ahem...

Megatron Bat Ears.png

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I bought the original version of Magmatron back in the day, and it was okay. Kinda fun, kinda fiddly, but it eventually went into a storage bin, only to be sold off a few years later. I have no connection to it whatsoever, and am not interested in paying Commander prices for a new version. Glad for those that like it, but I think I'll keep my 90 dollars.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I for one would welcome a new version of BW2 Galvatron. And a new version of Big Convoy, but I feel like Big Convoy's pretty much a given at this point.

It be tough for them to improve upon a bot who already pretty much prefect with Big Convoy, thou the only real improvements to the desgin would be:
1. A waist joint
2. Better feet
3. Hands that open
4. A more stable head joint

If I'm not mistaken Big Convoy was the first toy to have a removable Matrix, the original Lio Convoy desgin never and the previous Primals & Optimus's never, anyway, if they are going to do a modern Big Convoy, he better be commander class, it be only fitting for such a bot, the resent Lio Convoy is ok but rather on the small side, thou that is merely my view

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'm also interested in any potential recolours or remolds of "obscure" characters like BW Galvatron, etc as hopefully the potential new figure will be equally obscure or out of left field. Something like slightly remolding BW Galvatron and repainting it as Gigatron or Even Gigatron as BW Trypticon to name but a few. That or use Galvatron as a base for any Takara "Brave" kaiju-styled robots? I would like to see some then dip into the Brave figures and bring them into the TF multiverse.

Shadewing

Citizen
I for one would welcome a new version of BW2 Galvatron. And a new version of Big Convoy, but I feel like Big Convoy's pretty much a given at this point.
Why becuase of Magmatron? Then we should be getting Galvatron first. As much as I love and want Magmatron; Galvatron could REALLY use a modern toy to improve his proprotions and articuation, and maybe tank mode somewhat.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Why becuase of Magmatron? Then we should be getting Galvatron first. As much as I love and want Magmatron; Galvatron could REALLY use a modern toy to improve his proprotions and articuation, and maybe tank mode somewhat.
And his colors, too. His original toy was purple, but his on screen main color was pink.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
I feel that even with the more obscure characters, they’re still thinking with marketability in mind. Lio Convoy/Prime was the go-to lion mold repaint for over a decade and Magmatron was actually released internationally. Both also showed up in mass-release comics. Galvatron… got his colors used on a Botcon toy once and showed up in some club comics.

I'm also interested in any potential recolours or remolds of "obscure" characters like BW Galvatron, etc as hopefully the potential new figure will be equally obscure or out of left field. Something like slightly remolding BW Galvatron and repainting it as Gigatron or Even Gigatron as BW Trypticon to name but a few. That or use Galvatron as a base for any Takara "Brave" kaiju-styled robots? I would like to see some then dip into the Brave figures and bring them into the TF multiverse.
We might get Brave-y figures but nothing directly referencing Brave characters. Bandai owns the Brave franchise now.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I feel that even with the more obscure characters, they’re still thinking with marketability in mind. Lio Convoy/Prime was the go-to lion mold repaint for over a decade and Magmatron was actually released internationally. Both also showed up in mass-release comics. Galvatron… got his colors used on a Botcon toy once and showed up in some club comics.

We might get Brave-y figures but nothing directly referencing Brave characters. Bandai owns the Brave franchise now.
And yet they've released:
- boxes sets with minor (and/or non-transforming) characters from TF The Movie.
- Obscure G2 repaints that have never been released before.
- New TFs that turn into skeletons or rock vehicles.
- etc

So I doubt anything else previously mentioned is that far away from the stuff above. Anything is possible.

As for Brave, thanks for the update. Tfwiki does also state that it's been referenced (via AVP) a few times as being "obscure". ( https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Brave_(franchise) ). I'm sure though, that they could just repaint something as Brave figure and state it is from that obscure sector of the Multiverse and be done with it.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
Not saying it’s not possible but there’s a reason why some Japan-only characters get toys and the others don’t. As has been noted before, just because they do obscure stuff every once and a while doesn’t mean they do it full time. They have many more universes to work with, with characters more popular to more people

As for Brave, as I understand it, they can make toys with the usual white-red-blue-gold colors and crazy headgear but with how strict Japanese IP laws are, they can’t make anything that looks too much like any existing Brave character or make halfway clear references in-fiction at risk of getting sued. Hasbro might be able to get away with it in their markets but I doubt their markets care.

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen

Not because of Magmatron. I think that Big Convoy is a given to see release because he's a Maximal, therefore a heroic character, and good guys tend to sell better than bad guys. At least, according to the toy companies.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Not saying it’s not possible but there’s a reason why some Japan-only characters get toys and the others don’t. As has been noted before, just because they do obscure stuff every once and a while doesn’t mean they do it full time. They have many more universes to work with, with characters more popular to more people

As for Brave, as I understand it, they can make toys with the usual white-red-blue-gold colors and crazy headgear but with how strict Japanese IP laws are, they can’t make anything that looks too much like any existing Brave character or make halfway clear references in-fiction at risk of getting sued. Hasbro might be able to get away with it in their markets but I doubt their markets care.
Strict? I don't believe they're any more strict than other places, especially between companies. The debacle over the Takara Gobots was mainly down to how Takara felt and showing due diligence/a good public image rather than any actual legal action, from what I've gathered.

Regardless, Brave isn't a hill I'm interested in dying on here, but rather a placeholder for any interesting ideas we could get from some hopefully mandatory reuses of a hopefully released Galvatron mold and the current Magmatron mold. As both characters are fairly obscure, perhaps their repaints might equally be so?

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Big Convoy looks like Optimus Prime and will probably have "Prime" in his name somewhere. We'll see him at some point. There's just a bunch of other Primes they also need to get to.

Top Bottom