Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
He thinks Biden wouldn't ever do something like that, even if he could legally(and he's probably right). And he thinks once he's in he probably plans to never leave again.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
You can point out that Trump is a predator, and his idiot fans will say "Yeah, predators are tough and scary and cool! That's what we want in a president!"

You can point out that Trump is a con-man, and his idiot fans will say "Yeah, con-men are cunning and smart! That's what we want in a president!"

You can point out that Trump has had shady connections to criminals and money launderers for decades, and his idiot fans will say "Yeah, people like that know how to get things done! That's what we want in a president!"

You can point out that Trump is a serial adulterer and his idiot fans will say "Yeah, he knows what he wants out of life and he gets it! That's what we want in a president!"

You can point out that Trump is a bully, and his idiot fans will say "Yeah, it's about time this country had a bully for a president!"

The root problem here is not that Trump's fans are unaware of his flaws: it's that they don't think they're flaws. They don't think these traits are flaws because they have a VERY different idea of what makes a good president than you do.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Either they think it's fine to commit crimes because getting their own is all that matters, or they don't actually care and they're just trying to piss you off by arguing. Or both. Either way, it's a waste of time to try to use logical arguments when no actual logic went into their side in the first place.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
There is no reasoning with Trump fans. Literally, they will not listen to any argument no matter how logical or sound. Their belief is pathological. The cult does not want real answers.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
I'm glad Joe said it, but he's asking for the impossible. The media is desperate to have Trump back in office. Cable news ratings are down across the board, fewer people are doomscrolling and clicking on newspaper's websites, nobody wants to publish books about a competent administration that no one would read, and political comedians have only had the "Biden's old, lol!" joke for the last three+ years.

Michelle Wolf had the media's number when she hosted the 2018 WHCD:
You guys are obsessed with Trump. Did you used to date him? Because you pretend like you hate him, but I think you love him. I think what no one in this room wants to admit is that Trump has helped all of you. He couldn’t sell steaks or vodka or water or college or ties or Eric, but he has helped you. He’s helped you sell your papers and your books and your TV. You helped create this monster, and now you’re profiting off of him.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yup, The quest for profit is killing journalism. Granted, it's always been a problem but with the way the economy works now vs 50 years ago has severely exacerbated the issue. 24 hour news cycle, giant conglomerates owning all the major news outlets(both national and local), the killing of the fairness doctrine, black-box algorithm based social media feeds..... It's just suck a mess and I don't know if anyone knows exactly how to fix it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
You tear it down, then restart. Restore the fairness mandate, then legislate that all news information organizations MUST BE not for profit. This way they entirely support themselves and are incentivized to both tell the ******* the truth, but also to grow their own infrastructure since not for profits are required to invest in themselves or invest in charities.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I maintain that there is not a single issue in our politics (not a SINGLE one) that the news media isn't actively making worse.

Tear it down. Wait a while and see if we even want to restart it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Didn't the Fairness Doctrine require giving equal time to both sides of the political aisle? Wouldn't that just turn horse-race reporting and both-sides-ism from something they do because it makes money to something they're actually required to do?

I think the ban on for-profit news media would be enough, and already beyond what any other country in the history of the world has attempted. Let that play out and then we'll see if we need to get even stricter from there.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Fairness doctrine did not require equal time, but did require that organizations give time to people wishing to issue rebuttals to the narrative the broadcaster was sending out. The removal of the fairness doctrine is what led to Fox News and its nuttier kin. Reinstating it would not a magic bullet and it won't eliminate the issues associated with for-profit news organizations and it definitely won't help the current social media side of the equation, but it would be a moderating step. If Fox, Newsmax and OAN were forced to air opposing views on major issues, it would help limit the echo-chamber effect we are currently in. Heck if it were still in effect, I really don't think Trump would have won in 2016(he may have not even ended up as the republican candidate).

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Oh, and while we're at it, let's ban social media sites from being for-profit too. (And then maybe we can work our way into every other industry...)

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I hear tell that if you take the profit motive out of medicine, no one will want to be doctors anymore. Of course, that ignores all the doctors in countries with universal healthcare, but you try telling that to these rednecks.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And apparently they're doing another "show cause" trial on thursday morning. Unless thursday comes with the open and direct threat of jail time: this is a nothing burger.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Look, much as I'd love to see the Orange Shitgibbon behind bars, I get what the judge is doing and why. The very idea of incarcerating Trump is a logistical nightmare. It will cost the area millions, even if only for a day or two. There's staffing, extra security, you'll have to move the other inmates, a whole host of logistics that I can't even get into.

Top Bottom