Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Also, Trump desperately wants to spend a night or two in jail. It will do wonders for his fundraising and his 'poor oppressed me' narrative.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
But the judges (all of them currently involved in trump cases.) should understand that he's absolutely undermining what little trust was left the US legal system and consequently NEEDS to be put in jail.

I mean, he should have been in jail 3 years ago when they actually found and removed all those top secret documents in his ******* bathroom. Literally anyone else on earth would have been imprisoned right then and there.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
If he should have been locked up simply for the documents, so should/would have other former (and current) presidents. His problem was the attempt to prevent the FBI from doing so, which is all-but unprecedented.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Yeah, whenever they try to argue that presidents need immunity or else Obama might be charged for drone strikes, etc. my answer is usually: "Don't threaten me with a good time."
The question is less "don't charge Trump, or you have to try everyone else, too" (my former comment notwithstanding) and more "is the crime you're talking about really WORTH all that fuss?" Mere possession of documents has been (historically) deemed not to be "worth all that fuss," whereas Trump's efforts to HIDE documents, to LIE ABOUT having them, and to actively OBSTRUCT the retrieval of them, put him in a category we've hardly ever seen a president nor former president accused of.

The only time I can think of which comes close, the then-active President resigned rather than face impeachment, and was then actively pardoned, making further inquiry into the matter... if not actually impossible... very much "not worth all the fuss" given the lack of ability to properly do anything (else) about it.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Scope and scale my friend. He lied and refused to cooperate when repeatedly asked to return those documents. He made his lawyer sign an official attestation stating that everything was returned when that was also a lie. He STILL claims they were his documents, and given his previous actions: he was likely to sell them off to his own personal benefit. Secret information whose goal was to keep americans safe, and he likely was going to sell it to the enemy to either impress foreign despots or simply make money.

Other presidents, when caught with missing files cooperated completely, handed everything over without fuss, and encouraged further searches to ensure they were compliant. Trump literally played "keep away" by moving boxes of top secret information while his lawyer was supposed to be finding, and cataloguing for return. Hid them in a secret room, lied about the security conditions of his home while agents of foreign powers literally wandered around the property. Then tried desperately to cover up the whole thing, bribing people, threatening them, and destroying evidence.

There is no comparison here. What trump did was criminal if not in action (and by the end it was.) then in intent.

But yeah, if you want to hold american presidents to a significantly higher standard of morals and ethics under law: don't threaten me with a good time.

NovaSaber

Citizen
The question is less "don't charge Trump, or you have to try everyone else, too" (my former comment notwithstanding) and more "is the crime you're talking about really WORTH all that fuss?" Mere possession of documents has been (historically) deemed not to be "worth all that fuss," whereas Trump's efforts to HIDE documents, to LIE ABOUT having them, and to actively OBSTRUCT the retrieval of them, put him in a category we've hardly ever seen a president nor former president accused of.
I think you're emphasizing a distinction that no one has actually disputed. No one said said he should have been arrested for "mere possession".
"When they actually found and removed all those top secret documents" was after the attempts to obstruct.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen

I hope we can all be mature about this and only talk about Trump being called "Von Shitzinpantz" in the context of the court transcripts, and resist the urge to call him "Von Shitzinpantz" on Facebook, or call him "Von Shitzinpantz" on Twitter, or call him "Von Shitzinpantz" in TikTok videos, or call him "Von Shitzinpantz" on this forum, or call him "Von Shitzinpantz" in real life. And we definitely should not stand outside of whichever courthouse he's in that day and shout "How's the trial going, Von Shitzinpantz?" as he walks out, especially not in unison as a large group to ensure that he hears it. Because if we start sinking to this childish level of name-calling, then we're no better than Von Shitzinpantz.... I mean Trump.

Spin-Out

i cant take it anymore im at my limit
Citizen
giphy.gif

NovaSaber

Citizen
With defense like this, who needs prosecutors?

(That's rhetorical. Prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.)

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I think you're emphasizing a distinction that no one has actually disputed. No one said said he should have been arrested for "mere possession".
"When they actually found and removed all those top secret documents" was after the attempts to obstruct.
It's less that he disputed the point, but I felt that Wonko's assertion in post #2,222 was too generic about the crime for which he was advocating Trump's imprisonment, and I think that being too generic on this point is actively dangerous. Let's not give our opponents fuel to accuse of advocating for punishment for one side only, and not for our own. There's far too much of that around as it is.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Keeping top secret documents anywhere other than an authorized location (of which trumps shitter is not.) is hardly a generic assertion of criminality. More to the point: this is a major event in US culture and history, and we're all in here talking about it because we're each of us aware of most of the details thus far.

MORE more to the point: I am neither a litigator, adjudicator, nor reporter or influencer: me stating something generically has exactly zero importance to the world at large. Maybe stop focusing on pointless minutiae and advocate for the system to stop white gloving trump. Because, as I already stated: Stealing and hoarding top secret documents would have landed literally anyone else in jail within days of the crime.

If biden had done the same thing? If Obama, or ******* jesus had done the same thing? Yeah, enjoy the swimming lessons, I hear Guantanamo bay is lovely this time of year.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Oh hey, another finding of contempt of court, another thousand dollar fine. And once again: the threat of jail time if he does it just one. more. time.

Shall we hold our breath?

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
I love that one of the reporters who were shouting questions to Trump as he left the courtroom today tried to goad him into violating the gag order again.

1715040247683.png

Top Bottom