Superheroes

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I cannot get myself motivated to sit down and watch the Superman, Justice League, and Justice League Animated Series. I don’t like how they have de-powered Superman in the cartoons, comics, tv shows, and movies in the last several decades.

I watched the 1950’s Superman TV show and Super Friends growing up, and Superman was always tops, all-powerful, invulnerable. Superman was always at least as fast as the Flash in the early comics. There was never a doubt he would save the day in the end, and that was comforting as a kid. He was miles ahead and head and shoulders above the rest of the superheroes.

I’m also getting tired of the dark, brooding, tragic Batman. He was always a positive character when I watched him on Super Friends, the 1960’s TV show, Filmation cartoon, and even the 1989 Batman movie. Even the early Detective Comics put a positive spin on the character of Batman, emphasizing his gadgets. That’s why I liked the Brave and the Bold and The Batman cartoon series.

I like Spider-man, but there are too many versions of him. There are so many Spider-man cartoons that I don’t feel like watching any of them. I do think it was cool how they mirrored the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of Smash, and Ultimate Spider-man. Although the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon by itself sucks compared to the 60’s, 80’s, and 90’s Spider-man cartoons, together with Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk and the Agents of Smash it is something special.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm moving this to the comics forum. I haven't checked yet to see if there's already an active thread about this. If there is I'll go ahead and merge it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I’m also getting tired of the dark, brooding, tragic Batman.

I am too.

I wish Kilmer's Batman got more recognition. He's maybe the most balanced live action Batman we've gotten. He's definitely brooding and tragic, but has a forward looking aspect. He wants to be happy. He just doesn't know what that means or how to get there. Whether it means being a happy Batman or a happy Bruce Wayne, he'll take it.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I kind of liked Batman and Robin in the Super Friends where their powers came exclusively from their utility belts. Without them it was said they were just ordinary human beings. It made me feel like if I put on Batman’s utility belt I would have power. The early Detective and Batman comics really got creative with is:

A96B7CB9-D986-4E14-B3CC-985408A5A699.gif

BA2ECA2F-5773-44A3-A6CC-FE8A4DD23573.jpeg

AEB7E492-CC17-4F24-AC41-6BF03DFDEF7F.jpeg
0F25C7DF-8D69-4864-90E5-C752B4569679.jpeg
B32F06E7-820A-4458-9654-DD1645A3D666.jpeg
21CCF20D-AB5B-4B75-8852-F1447D3CD8FD.png

You don’t really see this kind of detail in today’s Batman comics.

They seemed to care more back then and put a lot of thought and ingenuity into these aspects of the character. Thank you Bob Kane and Bill Finger!

Attachments

• 89F5A3CA-7057-4806-9E68-C5FF955C646F.jpeg
    89F5A3CA-7057-4806-9E68-C5FF955C646F.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 70

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
This is the greatest introduction/reveal of a superhero character of all time:

With all the technology, special effects, computers, and money Zac Snyder had at his disposal, he still could not come close to topping this 45-year-old movie.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There's a lot more over in the east than just that.

f79zKrF.jpg

BRrCPBA.jpg

Then there's Kamen Rider
rC6zTKT.png

7Wbw3w8.jpg

And on a less serious note from Super Sentai:

MqdMfTz.jpg

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’m not into the live-action stuff like Power Rangers. I’m into the old school Japanese animation of the 80’s.

I don’t like CGI either.

I’m not into anything new. I’m all about nostalgia, pre-1990’s.

My interest in the overseas content begins with Voltron and ends with Robotech.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Here is my top 5 list of greatest superheroes:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-man
4. Incredible Hulk
5. Wonder Woman

After this it gets really murky. These are the clear-cut winners.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Then you're missing out.

Ultraman is a symbol of HOPE and kindness. The light inside everyone:

Kamen Riders fight for JUSTICE

And Super Sentai is all about Teamwork and friendship!

And that's only the big three...

Rescue Force for example, has the primary mission of fighting extreme disasters, which is what their equipment was actually designed for(though they do have to fight at times too)

I could go on but of course the best scenes don't always make it into youtube, or if they do it's not subbed in English.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
My symbol of Hope and kindness is Superman:

Batman fights for Justice:

And Voltron is the essence of Teamwork:

Super Friends is my Rescue force:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Introducing the greatest cast ever assembled for a Superhero movie:

Now that’s how you give credits!

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
You mean the Ultra Galaxy movie?

Or for those who prefer the New Generation Ultras:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
45 years of Super Sentai, from 2021:

There's a 40-year version from 2016 here if you want to actually understand what they're singing, though of course it misses the post-Zyuohger teams:

And for teamups, it feels a bit off because it got upsampled to 60fps, but this teamup of Zero, Geed, and Z from early Z was great. You just can't beat a good sunset battle when it comes to Ultraman:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Design-wise, Faiz is probably my favorite Kamen Rider. The suit itself is simple and functional, without being overly extravagantly designed. It feels like a proper tech-based rider, and then you have the gadgets that double as weapons(and were high-tech for their time). And that belt voice is the chef's kiss on top of everything. Not to mention how it looks at night:
0GT1JDM.png

I have a harder time when it comes to Ultras though. I like how Mebius looks like a really modern update of the design with the embedded color timer, but Zero's got this nice mix of red and blue. The designs since have had a good mix of old and new too, with things like Decker's assymmetricalness making for anew take on Dyna's design.

Ultraman_Mebius_full.jpg
UltramanZeroProfile.jpg

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I liked “X-men Origins: Wolverine” a lot. I thought it was the coolest X-men movie because of its cast of characters (eg. Sabertooth and Gambit). I wanted to see the story of how Wolverine met Striker and got his Adamantium claws and skeleton.

Yet, why is this movie so universally hated and despised among comic book fans?

Top Bottom