Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I got the pre-order update from BBTS 9 days ago. I'm waiting for the tape bots to finally hit before I ship.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
For the many of you that still need Snarl, keep your eye out. I've been seeing him a lot lately, particularly at Meijer. The one close to me has restocked his wave at least twice and I've seen him at other locations as well. In addition, I saw him at a Target just the other day.
There aren't any Meijers around here.

Shadewing

Citizen
Eh... not sure I like the penny racer look... This combined with Steeljaw just feels like they aren't trying. And makes me feel 86 Optimus is gonna be similar half-assed.

Agreeing with what a friend said: it feels like they wanted to get both Cliff and Bee out of this mold with very little work. With how boxy he looks, I think that is the thought.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I'm definitely considering it. The first MP Bumblebee and Origins Bee cover a lot of my Bee needs, but the penny racer look is one I don't have, and this'll be much cheaper than the second MP bee. It does seem to lack a bit on the roundness though in car mode.

The Phazer

Citizen
Springer looks better than the Siege toy, but that missile and his fun are so crazily oversized for no reason. Maybe that plastic could have been used to fix his helecopter mode a bit. Both of the swords are flat out bad sculpts too.

Bumblebee has a nice transformation and robot mode but that alt mode really doesn't work. And some painted windows and some clear ones seems like a scenario designed to please literally nobody. I wonder if a third party could replace the back of the alt model and give him clear windows and fix the curve.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It's not a bad Bumblebee, but definitely not better than the ones I already have.

But, give me this exact toy with a Bumper head, or repainted into Glyph or Wasp or something, and I'm all over it.
It feels like a side-grade. It's like they wanted to do a really nice little SS86 Bumblebee...but couldn't or wouldn't spend the money on the VW license for a true "penny racer VW" cartoon look. Further, the shape of the car mode is REALLY evocative of Cliffjumper, making a retool seemingly as simple as a new head and feet.
That said, I think the robot mode is one of the best we've gotten in a mass retail setting, with the head sculpt being the most cartoon-evocative since the Titans Return figure (on a better overall design to boot).

But, while I hate to term it like this, it DOES feel a bit "half ass" in how the vehicle mode is addressed. As part of an assortment (with TF One Deluxe Optimus Prime) said to run 9-12 months, it feels quite the cop out NOT to commit to the VW alt mode. Especially since the last time we DID get official VW alt modes, they were relegated to retail exclusives (and that might have been part of the issue, I don't know).

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Would it really have killed him to put this in either of the Studio Series threads instead of two wrong ones?

steeljaw-modes-jpg.21091

steeljaw-box-jpg.21092

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I'm definitely sticking with Netflix Bee. This one just isn't doing anything for me. I'll second the idea of giving him a Bumper head, though. That's something I would buy.

Steeljaw looks about as good as I'd expect for a WfC/Legacy/SS86-scaled cassette bot. Looks better than the MP Nightstalker mold, with that ridiculous floating backpack.

I'll be getting Springer to fill out the SS86 set of bots from the movie, but he isn't much of an upgrade from Siege Springer, aside from the clean paintjob.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Bee probably ain't a VW Bug because he's a mainline deluxe that's supposed to be on shelves for a year. No way modern Hasbro pops for that kind of license for a wide-release figure that's supposed to be on shelves well into next year.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
New hands, new thighs, new chest, I think that's a new head (most things look the same, but the cheek intakes on the new one are more shallow), new upper arms/shoulders to allow the pauldrons to do the diagonal orientation, hiding the forearm blaster in the transformation... It's a fair bit more than I expected on hearing Springer would be a retool, so I'm in for a third go at this version, even if I'm not proud of doing it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'm still gonna wait for side-by-side comparisons between SS86 Springer and Siege Springer to really see all the changes made.

Top Bottom