Pest Control Among Toy Collection

Axaday

Citizen
I have an outside building that is dedicated space for my toy collection. It is generally uninhabited space and ought to be more dust free that my house, but the trouble is that I have allowed bugs to inhabit the space and they have affected things.

I'm pretty afraid of setting off a bug bomb and finding that it does even more damage. Does anyone have experience with this?

Dake

Citizen
Stop letting kids in?

But seriously - what kind of pests? If it's roaches or waterbugs (big roaches), you can sprinkle Boric Acid (it's a white powder, sometimes sold under the label "Roach Proof", but you can buy just the basic stuff unbranded from pharmacies) around the bases of the walls and the backs of shelves and whatnot. It actually works for numerous bugs and will do a good job of killing them off and keeping them out.

You can also buy something like "Ortho Home Defense" which is a spray product you can spray around the outside of the building. Reapply it quarterly or even monthly to start, and it will help too. I believe it's also safe to use inside and helps more if you're dealing with spiders and the like.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
I second the "Ortho Home Defense." I get the gallon jug (some come with a spray nozzle, while others a wand) and use it around my place. It does a good job at killing and keeping bugs out. I use the wand for outside spraying and the nozzle for controlled inside spraying.

Just don't get it on your collection.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Was looking at the list on my gallon jug. Spiders and crickets are among the long list of insects Ortho Home Defense can help with.

Axaday

Citizen
Do these guys come in and out? Will spraying outside stop the colony on the inside?

I have honestly fantasized about just opening up a compressed nitrogen bottle in there and leaving it for a few days and then airing out.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Spraying outside forms a barrier to help keep the pests out. Anything dumb enough to cross it, whether coming in or out, will be contaminated and die. I know spiders will come in and out, but not sure about the crickets.

You'll still need to spray inside as well. Every crack, nook, and cranny you can find. Around doors and and windows also. All this makes more barriers.

How bad are they inhabiting the insides of your toy collection? If it was me, I'd get all the spraying done inside and out (without getting it on the toys,) then take the bug infested toys outside and clean them manually. It would be time consuming, but at least you wouldn't be getting any spray on your collection to cause potential damage.

I had a bug infestation inside some of my toys years ago, so I feel your pain. 😿

Top Bottom