Masterpiece Thread

MrBlud

Citizen
So, the cab-only Ginrai is part of the main MP line while the cab-and-trailer combo Super Ginrai (or is it just the trailer by itself alone) is part of MPG?

MP-60 is toy version Ginrai
MPG-09 is anime version Ginrai with Trailer

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The cartoon model may have been toy accurate but there's still some deco differences between the toy and the character model. (And considering that the Google Translate of the MPG-60 release makes mention of 'included stickers' to apply to the trailer to make the 'toy version of Super Ginrai', it's pretty clear what they're talking about when it comes to marketing the standard MP as being toy-based and the MPG as being anime-based.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This post is a paradox because Ginrai's cartoon model was toy-accurate.

It's an odd situation. Yes, Ginrai's cartoon model is toy accurate to the extent that pretty much any G1 cartoon model ever was. Most are lankier than the toys. But in this odd case, we have a whole alternate character model in the form of Powermaster Optimus Prime, and this is just not how I picture him.

NovaSaber

Citizen
For the cab robot specifically (which is the only part getting a toy-based variant), the Masterforce character model was considerably more toy-accurate than the Marvel comics model.
(And the US animation model was in, what, two seconds of one commercial?)

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
For the cab robot specifically (which is the only part getting a toy-based variant), the Masterforce character model was considerably more toy-accurate than the Marvel comics model.
(And the US animation model was in, what, two seconds of one commercial?)

About ten second or so.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The very thought of a Masterpiece Powermaster Optimus is making me remember all those ridiculous Powermaster fan customs people made way back in the day for the MP-1 mold, several of which tended to have a bunch of electronics and an excessive amount of weaponry.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In fairness to the Marvel comic, you can see that the recently-departed José Delbo tried to make him look like the toy in the first appearance, but the colorist, Nel Yomtov, must not have gotten the memo or something:

1711785309398.jpeg
1711785674763.jpeg

They got it together a year later, though. More or less.

1711785894100.png

And the TFU character model, for comparison:

1711786280961.png

Now the truck mode, on the other hand, looked all sorts of weird.

As for commercials, he was in at least one more than just his debut:

Blot

Citizen
That first view of Prime seems to show they included the panel behind his head as part of the character model.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That first view of Prime seems to show they included the panel behind his head as part of the character model.
Kinda, yeah. It looks like a curved version of his horns from the front, but then in views from behind...

1711857513928.png
1711857530255.png

And yet, in that same issue, during that same scene...

1711857578458.png

Incidentally, I've been fond of this model for a long, long time, and have always wanted a more... playable toy version of it.

Also incidentally, I love how it's so different from Optimus's original model, yet so similar, that I'd love to see someone give the same treatment to "toon-ifying" the Hot Rod component of PotP Rodimus Prime, since my headcanon for him is that he's more of a Powermaster Rodimus Prime (y'know, minus the Powermaster part... but hey, that didn't stop PMOP from being a "Powermaster" in Titans Return, so...).

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Despite my whining about the proportions, I am very glad that this is finally going to exist. It seems way overdue, but maybe it isn't. Takara did get a little out of practice with super modes and combinations, so maybe they had to warm up before doing this.

I am willing to believe that this is going to be worth the wait.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Very curious to see how this turns out. I'd love a good Powermaster Prime toy, as that was "my" Optimus growing up. Don't know if I'd buy a Masterpiece version or not, as I'd really prefer something more toy-like from the main line instead of a fiddly display piece.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I wonder how many people will complain about the truck kibble on the back of the robot mode because of how toy-accurate Ginrai's character model was lol.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is welcome, but I'll probably wait for a Commander Class or something. Which will proooobably be a while because this is a thing now, and we have at least one combiner torso in the offing.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen

Clearer and new images of Ginrai

Mirrored below:
Ginrai_001.png

Ginrai_002.png

Ginrai_003.png

Ginrai_004.png

Top Bottom