AI don't trust techbros

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

NOYB at first glance appears to basically be a European version of the EFF, focused specifically on GDPR application. Not sure what will come of this, but that is something that hadn't even crossed my mind before - it's basically impossible wiht the current implementation to meet GDPR criteria.

With their "Train on the internet" model and no tracking on that, and AFAIK no way to "un-learn" something without basically going to a previous snapshot of sorts and re-training minus the problematic source(which is a fair impossibility at this point for almost everything that has already been fed into it) there's basically is no way for it to be GDPR compliant. They could maybe re-train it on specific things, but the incorrect associations are basically there forever; even if it's a tiny miniscule chance of those tokens being associated, it's still never going to be zero if they were associated at least once. You could maybe "program" it further with a prompt to avoid that specific association, but if you ahve to keep adding those on top of the base model for every person in the EU who requests a correction, it's going to get unweildly pretty fast IMO. On top of that it's still there if anyone were to acquire a copy of the model without those prompts added.

Then we also come to the fact OpenAI even admits it's entirely just word prediction, not a factual database, so given the previous stipulations, effectively using it as a database may be straight up illegal in EU land due to the requirement for correctness in the GDPR, since that can't be guaranteed.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
More legal action rolling against the AI-makers:

In addition to a couple from 2023:

While Stack Overflow is explicitly handing its data over to OpenAI(rather than them just stealth-scraping it):

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
lJwrgcp.png

I assume this is paywalled: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nt-imperils-climate-goal-as-emissions-jump-30

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Enabled by default for business machines enrolled in Intune:

Only saving grace is that right now it can only run on Snapdragon processors(meaning Surface machines). Can't wait for the new ransomware to be threat actors getting persistence, quietly enabling this, then hoovering up the database WITH all your credentials. (and then drop actual ransomware for the cherry on top)

Friend+Computer+-+Adam+McAleavey.png

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And someone will figure out how to expunge it quickly. Thankfully, the only time my desktop has a microphone is when I use discord, otherwise it's physically unplugged.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Oh, Microsoft says the DB is 100% local... but the training -results- I could see being slipped into telemetry communications. (And again, local means if someone gets access to your machine they could slurp all that up and review it later for any creds in cleartext, or perhaps bank account numbers.)

Also just heard that the "block recording on specific websites" portion only works in Edge. Chrome, Firefox, Tor, and all derived browsers are still recorded all the time, except for Hollywood DRM'd videos of course. That's one way to try to make users use your browser...

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Wait, so then it's not just caching the metadata that goes through it, but actually doing a full video recording of what's on the screen constantly? How is that not going to result in amassing terabytes of superfluous data every week???

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
It takes snapshots every few seconds, and it reserves 50GB of space for it, though it'll pause recording if there's less than 25GB free space left.

Not sure if this is a mock-up or from MS's test machines, given the 6 month time frame:

1716422786534.jpeg

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yet another reason NOT to upgrade to 11, though I run Linux most of the time anyway. Windows is only around for the odd game that I can't get working properly on Proton or the occasional pc game pass subscription.(which is essentially the same as the former)

Top Bottom