Wizards of the Coast announced that Transformers characters are going to be joining Magic: The Gathering’s The Brothers’ War expansion, introducing 16 characters and two new keywords to the game.
Transformers introduced so far are:
- Optimus Prime, Autobot Leader / Optimus Prime, Hero
- Goldbug, Scrappy Scout / Goldbug, Humanity’s Ally
- Starscream, Seeker Leader / Starscream, Power Hungry
- Soundwave, Superior Captain / Soundwave, Sonic Spy
- Ravage, Token Legendary Artifact Creature
- Flamewar, Streetwise Operative / Flamewar, Brash Veteran
- Slicer, High-Speed Antagonist / Slicer, Hired Muscle
- Ultra magnus, Tactician / Ultra Magnus, Armored Carrier
- Megatron, Tyrant / Megatron, Dectructive Force
- Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist / Jetfire, Air Guardian
- Blitzwing, Cruel Tormentor / Blitzwing, Adaptive Assailant
- Ratchet, Field Medic / Ratchet, Rescue racer
- Cyclonus, the Saboteur / Cyclonus, Cybertronian Fighter
- Prowl, Stoic Strategist / Prowl, Pursuit Vehicle
- Blaster, Combat DJ / Blaster, Morale Booster
- Arcee, Sharpshooter / Arcee, Acrobatic Coupe
As far as mechanics, the Transformers cards so far are all considered Legendary creatures. The cards are double sided, robot mode on one side and vehicle mode on the back, to represent conversion. Converting from one mode to another is normal for these guys, so the More Than Meets the Eye keyword is being introduced as a different casting cost to make a card’s backside playable. Transformers don’t need pilots, so the Living Metal keyword is being introduced to make the cards playable in vehicle mode without a crew cost. These cards are designed to be fully available, at least in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage formats.
The characters will be available in both G1 style and Shattered Glass variants, with the exception of Arcee who lacks a Shattered Glass variant so far. The cards won’t be included in the main The Brothers’ War set, but will be available in boosters as well as the Bundle Box.
You can discuss this with Transformers fans in our ongoing PulseCon thread. Allspark also has a growing community of tabletop gaming fans. Come play with us in our gaming forum, on our Discord Server, @AllsparkNews, or our Facebook group!
Source: Star City Games