Worst business decisions ever.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
This probably falls under the whole WB/Discovery merger debacle, but I'm calling this out specifically.

As a cost cutting measure, HBO Max delisted a BUNCH of shows. Here's a list:

12 Dates of Christmas
About Last Night
Aquaman: King of Atlantis
Close Enough
Detention Adventure
Dodo
Ellen's Next Great Designer
Elliott From Earth
Esme & Roy
The Fungies!
Generation Hustle
Genera+ion
Infinity Train
Little Ellen
Mao Mao, Heroes of Pure Heart
Messy Goes to Okido
Mia's Magic Playground
Mighty Magiswords
My Dinner with Herve
My Mom, Your Dad
Odo
OK, K.O.! – Let's Be Heroes
The Ollie & Moon Show
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Ravi Patel's Pursuit of Happiness
Select Sesame Street Specials
Make It Big, Make It Small
Squish
Summer Camp Island
The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo
The Runaway Bunny – Special
Theodosia
Tig n' Seek
Uncle Grandpa
Victor and Valentino
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs
And a few hundred episodes of Sesame Street

Of note, this means shows like Infinity Train, The Fungies, Mao Mao, OK KO, and Summer Camp Island have NO legal means to view them.

A statement from the creator of Infinity Train:

And Victor and Valentino is still technically ongoing...though I guess this means we're probably on the final season.

This DOES mean that Uncle Grandpa is sealed away forever, though....so it's not ALL bad news, at least. There's some positives, here.

Apropos of nothing, there's peg legs and eye patches next to the door. You have to buy your own parrot, though. Do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I heard about this. It is weird. Like, I understand cancelling things in the process of being made as a money saving measure. But to delist stuff that's already been made and is just up for streaming, that makes no sense.

Only thing I can think of is if they're delisting here so they can put them on a more premium tier later?

Still, I hate streaming. It used to be the cost effective alternative to cable. Now it's become even worse than cable ever was.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they're planning to cut down on the number of servers/computers that are hosting their content and just don't have room for all of it. Like, if they WERE using 100 servers to host HBO Max stuff before they might be planning to cut that down to 50 or something to save on server fees.

Which is a bad idea, but I believe I've read the new management wants to focus on Broadcast TV first and foremost, so...probably expect server or hosting problems in the near future for HBO Max? Maybe? This is all just speculation from me, but...given how cost-cutting focused the new management has been, I could see it happening.

Because these...are NOT the kind of shows you put on a "premium" tier. These are the shows nobody watched or have other issues surrounding them. (As much as I hate to say that about Infinity Train). If they did this with Harley Quinn or something...MAYBE, but not Uncle Grandpa.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Still, I hate streaming. It used to be the cost effective alternative to cable. Now it's become even worse than cable ever was.
People say this a lot recently and I don't get it.

I'm saying this as someone who exclusively uses free streaming services (I mean I do technically have a subscription to Peacock but that's only because it's included with my internet plan, I never actually signed up for it) but the simple facts that you don't have to rent any equipment, aren't locked into a contract, and can literally cancel your subscription at any time without having to pay any cancellation just inherently makes streaming a better proposition than cable or satellite ever was, even with the fuckery that HBO Max or other services do.

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
After hunting down Speedia 500 exclusives last week, I have a feeling the new open window boxes are going to be a problem with thieves. WAY too easy to steal product.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I heard about this. It is weird. Like, I understand cancelling things in the process of being made as a money saving measure. But to delist stuff that's already been made and is just up for streaming, that makes no sense.

Only thing I can think of is if they're delisting here so they can put them on a more premium tier later?
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they're planning to cut down on the number of servers/computers that are hosting their content and just don't have room for all of it. Like, if they WERE using 100 servers to host HBO Max stuff before they might be planning to cut that down to 50 or something to save on server fees.

It's purely about residuals; as long as those shows are available, some tiny trickle of money is going to the creators (i.e., not HBO). With the shows erased from existence, no one will ever see another eighth-of-a-penny.

https://bogleech.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F693031307246206976

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It's purely about residuals; as long as those shows are available, some tiny trickle of money is going to the creators (i.e., not HBO). With the shows erased from existence, no one will ever see another eighth-of-a-penny.
MegasXLR and Beware the Batman were both cited as series that got "tax written off", but both have remained available on digital market places.

As of the time I'm posting this, Infinity Train and most of the other effected Cartoon Network series are still available on iTunes for purchase.

And, to no one's surprise, copies of DVDs for pulled shows have skyrocketed in asking price and become sold out at retailers overnight.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Thinking about this last night, I wonder if the reason some of this stayed up on the digital storefronts was because the royalties/residuals were lower than maintaining the content on a streaming platform. I’ve generally understood it as “tax write off” means they can’t monetize the content, at least not for a certain period of time or incurring some sort of fee/fine. But I’ve yet to see content completely disappear, so I’m wondering/suspecting other factors are at play on some of this. Batgirl is probably completely dead, though, since it was never commercially released at all.

With the storefronts, each episode/season likely has a set rate, and is dependent on people seeking out the material to purchase. On a streaming platform, HBO was probably incurring a recurring rate JUST for the sake of keeping the content available to stream whenever.

I’m not sure those savings are really going to be that significant, however. And probably not worth the tremendous backlash they’ve received over the past couple days.

moses.chastain

Citizen
Absolutely, Blockbuster's decision to pass on the opportunity to acquire Netflix is often cited as one of the worst business decisions in history. At the time, Netflix was just a fledgling DVD rental-by-mail service, and Blockbuster's refusal allowed Netflix to evolve into the streaming giant we know today, demonstrating the significance of recognizing disruptive innovations. This pivotal choice not only reshaped the entertainment industry but also highlights the importance of lead data enrichment and understanding consumer preferences. Blockbuster's reluctance to embrace the digital shift is a stark reminder that failing to adapt to changing technologies and consumer trends can have dire consequences for even the most established of companies. This cautionary tale serves as a stark reminder of the ever-evolving nature of business landscapes and the risks associated with underestimating emerging trends.

Last edited:

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
We don't know if Netflix would have moved into streaming the way it did if it HAD been bought out by blockbuster. They could have squashed Netflix's experimental streaming thing before it was even a thing. (The buyout offer was proposed back in 2000)

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
They probably would have, since blockbuster made it's money on rentals of physical media. But the other side of that coin is that it would have probably taken less than another decade for some other enterprising system to replace netflix in that market. We'd be right where we are now, the only difference would be names.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Absolutely, Blockbuster's decision to pass on the opportunity to acquire Netflix is often cited as one of the worst business decisions in history. At the time, Netflix was just a fledgling DVD rental-by-mail service, and Blockbuster's refusal allowed Netflix to evolve into the streaming giant we know today, demonstrating the significance of recognizing disruptive innovations. This pivotal choice not only reshaped the entertainment industry but also highlights the importance of lead data enrichment and understanding consumer preferences. Blockbuster's reluctance to embrace the digital shift is a stark reminder that failing to adapt to changing technologies and consumer trends can have dire consequences for even the most established of companies. This cautionary tale serves as a stark reminder of the ever-evolving nature of business landscapes and the risks associated with underestimating emerging trends.
Probably the most on topic post we've ever received from a bot.

LiamA

Citizen
If Blockbuster did buy Netflix what are the odds that they would have screwed it up somehow.

Top Bottom