When is the last time we got an original character redeco from a G1 character?

MrBlud

Citizen
Me and a friend were talking about this and couldn’t remember how long it had been or who was the last release to do this?

I’m talking a wholly original character who didn’t exist in any way before being released, so no homages to past releases, no Diaclone homages, no cancelled toy homages, no replacement for G1 character limbs, etc.

Anyone know?

Dake

Citizen
I'm not sure I'm really understanding the question. A G1 toy redeco that was a wholly new character? How could there have been if G1 ended in 1990?

Do you mean a new character using the altmode of what was originally a G1 character, but not a new character attributed to one of the Diaclone recolors?

So just for an example, there were four colors of the Honda City in Diaclone: Black, blue, silver and red. We got Skids as the blue one, and later Crosscut as the silver. We've also had a name given to the black and red versions. Ehobby made an orange one named "Screech", would that count?

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I don't think the mold has to itself be G1 (as in, 1984-1990) but it has to be a mold that was meant as a (pre-existing) G1 character, so that leaves out guys like the Rock Lords or Fossilizers. Does that also exclude someone like Axlegrease, since Scraphook is a neo-G1 character?

I think some of the Battlemasters and Micromasters during Siege/Earthrise are wholly original characters, but I kinda figure Blud might be looking for someone Deluxe or bigger.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
I'm not sure I'm really understanding the question. A G1 toy redeco that was a wholly new character? How could there have been if G1 ended in 1990?

A mold that is made explicitly as an “updated” G1 character. Which should be the majority of them in the past few years and yes as Magnusblitz reasoned I’m thinking Deluxe or larger.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I think Red Cog logically counts, but I don't want to count him on the grounds that I hate the idea that it was Red Cog.

Xaaron

Citizen
This feels like a brain teaser more than anything.

- The character is G1
- The character is a redeco
- The character is brand new (i.e. the redecoed toy is their debut)
- The character is not based on an obscure unused deco (i.e. Diaclone, G2)

So not Cloudcover. G2 deco.
Not Riggorous, Reboost, etc. Based on Diaclone.
Not Tarn or Rung. Not a redeco.
Not Nautica. She was a retool.

Uh, Ricon...?

What's even an historic example of this (since 1990)? Like, Botcon 2009's Landshark?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'd say an historic example of this would be something like the original Toxitron that was made for Universe but never released.

It was a redeco of G2 Laser Optimus Prime, as a completely brand new character who did not exist prior to that point, and whose deco was Not based on any preexisting thing.

Granted, it was a redeco of a G2 mold rather than a G1 mold, but the first character represented by said G2 mold was still a G1 character.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
What's even an historic example of this (since 1990)? Like, Botcon 2009's Landshark?
Weren't Detritus and Flipsides wholly new when they dropped? I think eHobby had a decent amount of this sort of thing, come to think of it.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The ehobby reissues were the first thing that came to mind (that and maybe the Kiss Players cassettes?) but I figured there had to be more recent ones than that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
CW Alpha Bravo was a Vortex redeco (well, "predeco") not based on anything or anyone beforehand.

MrBlud

Citizen
Red Cog fits all the criteria. Although I guess if I was really being a stickler I’d have to go back to Scrapface since Red Cog could still be *technically* a variant of Cog.

Thanks for the assist everyone!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Wouldn't that fall under the 'no replacements for G1 character limbs' part of the OP?
The thing is, we did get all four of the original Aerialbot limbs in CW, so none of them were replaced. While at the same time, every CW limb could be a replacement. So that category doesn't really make sense to begin with.

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Nautica wouldn't count, not because she's a retool as opposed to a redeco (I don't think it was meant that specifically), but she was a toy of a comics-only character. I think you might be able to argue some leeway if the character came out simultaneously as a toy and in media (like, I do think Landshark fits the category, albeit being a convention exclusive), but in Nautica's case the character had been around in the comics for a few years already.

In that sense, even Red Cog seems a bit suspect, since he's based off the Security Officer in the Siege cartoon, and there were a couple years between release. OTOH it could be the case they always intended to have "Red Cog" as a repaint of the Cog mold, and they just had to wait a few years until finding somewhere to release it. Whereas Nautica was clearly conceived as a comics-only character first, and the idea for the toy came later, separately.

I kinda wrote off the new guys in the Combiner Wars teams like Rook and Alpha Bravo because they were brand new toys (not redecos), but hadn't thought about them being pre-decos, hmmm...

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Remembering Red Cog just brings to mind that Doofenschmirtz "if I had a nickel".

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The thing is, we did get all four of the original Aerialbot limbs in CW, so none of them were replaced. While at the same time, every CW limb could be a replacement. So that category doesn't really make sense to begin with.
To me what's confusing is that the list specifies "didn't exist in any way before being released" and "no CW replacement limbs". Alpha Bravo is definitely the former, but the latter is a gray area (he was technically a replacement at the time of release, but that was undone).

Although now the question is whether "exists in any way" includes the fiction promoting the upcoming toy (I'm hazy on the timing for AB's toy vs comic appearance). I don't think it should, but it isn't my list of criteria.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Although now the question is whether "exists in any way" includes the fiction promoting the upcoming toy (I'm hazy on the timing for AB's toy vs comic appearance). I don't think it should, but it isn't my list of criteria.
Alpha Bravo was introduced as a toy first before all else at SDCC 2014.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm not invested in quibbling about this because it's not my topic to begin with, but if I were counting that as a viable option on the same footing as the two I mentioned, I would have mentioned it.

Although sure, real-world reveal announcements and the like can also fall under the question of what "exists in any way" covers. Have at it.

Top Bottom