What would you want in a Transformers Playset?

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
We don't need playsets.

What we need is equipment. Mainline TF-scaled/themed repair beds, computer terminals, chairs, snack dispensers, games, etc. There are enough avenues to make a base/playset/diorama/room, it's filling up that area that's the challenge.

And early 2000's wrestling playsets and equipment are getting hard to come buy.

02122011 093.jpg

02122011 099.jpg

backstage1.jpg
backstage2.jpg
backstage7.jpg

kiss6.jpg

Then there's repurposing other playsets.
cgs2.jpg

playset.jpg

north.png

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
To be fair, that's about a decade plus in the past, and was followed by at least one bigger play base for smaller bots that did have a "big robot" mode. Come to think of it, playsets in general have kind of not been the TF team's thing for some time.

But I agree that turning from one mode into another is still something that can be a fun selling point without a robot mode. Especially if there are a lot of accompanying little bots that DO have that traditional mechanic. It was awesome for that Cyberverse subline that gsve us that Ark, and it was awesome for the Micromaster years that preceded that.

I think playsets still seem to be something that could be bet on at regular retail, if other recent toylines are any indication (TMNT hasn't missed a chance to have one in a while). Transformers' reluctance to get back into it since those Cyberverse lines has been disappointing, with their focus seeming to be on committing to one scale in their main lines.

Part of it may be the challenge of making a playset big enough to be an engaging world for those mainline bots of various sizes, but then they HAVE kept up making Core class stuff that would work fine with it.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

So yeah, they come and they go, usually for smaller-scale stuff.

Still, my main point is that they've been part of the "scope" for the line for way longer than they haven't.

The only problem is doing something that can fit larger scale figures, but again, that's where the HasLab part of the discussion comes in.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
For me, a Deluxe-scale playset would need to be a good display background and have a lot of accessories; things like Teletraan-1's room, Wheeljack's lab, Shockwave's tower, the Insecticons' hideout, etc.

Honestly, I think a playset would lend itself more to Core-class scale figures. For those, I think my priorities would be portability, modularity, and action features:

Portability- the playset should be able to fold up into a vehicle or even box that has storage for a couple figures inside. Spaceships are an easy do (Androbase, Guardian Command Center, and Renegade Thruster all come to mind), but other vehicles and even buildings (Gas Station, Car Wash of Doom, etc). I feel like Micro Machines has had a lot of good examples of this kind of portability.

Modularity- allow connections between playsets, ideally also maintaining connectability with past Titans and AIR-lock figures. (Obviously I am envisioning several smaller playsets, not just one big one)

Action features- jail cells that can be broken out of, launch ramps, movable accessories with many options for connection ports, collapsing floors or bridges, traps, etc. I'm not a big fan of firing missiles or water squirter, but a weapons pack with lots of options produced in various colors (different color for each playset) would be nice. Also, track sections for laying out roads (and connecting playsets!) would be a welcome addition.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I will say this. I don't buy Core figures unless it's characters that should be small (Rattrap, BW Snarl) I really don't have any interest in small scale figures of Regular scale characters.

But IF they started doing expansive play sets, or play environments, especially ones that could connect to create intricate larger environments, like the Micromaster Playsets,... well, that might be enough to convince me to buy into Core in a way I absolutely havn't.

-ZacWilliam, the WFC road guys were a neat step in that direction.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Personally, I like the idea of having the playsets scaled at Deluxe level. You could still play with the core size figures but deluxe would be the scale for it.

Like I imagine that it folding closed for transit or storage is a big thing, and have it open up, either by unfolding or on a hinge. Like the rest of you, I like the idea of the ark or a generic space craft that opens up and reveals specialized rooms, or the Mt St Helens with the crashed ark opening up to have its iconic rooms featured. The marvel comics space bridge could be done well too, especially given how that one unreleased bridge playset worked.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The only problem is doing something that can fit larger scale figures, but again, that's where the HasLab part of the discussion comes in.
Tbh, if any playset (even the exact sort I've been describing) wound up as a Haslab offering, it'd have to be an automatic pass for me. That would bring it a fair bit beyond a fun novelty I can try out and have space for.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Tbh, if any playset (even the exact sort I've been describing) wound up as a Haslab offering, it'd have to be an automatic pass for me. That would bring it a fair bit beyond a fun novelty I can try out and have space for.
I think that the larger scale figures would have to fit on the outside of the playset or in a more compact alt mode. Like even the USS Flagg would have trouble storing some of the commander and larger figures inside of it.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh that's very likely. I think that was part of why I suggested a playset that had a lot of backdrop panels and such, because dio-setups could probably look workable with deluxes and that sort to walk around and pose in front of. When unfolded as a play venue, not a storage thing. But a full-on thing with like manned cannon seats and banks of command consoles for deluxes and up, that's gonna look awesome but I'd be priced out immediately.

Haywire

Citizen
FWIW, this is the same reason I still prefer GIJoe figures at 3-3/4"-4" scale over the pretty-to-look-at-but-also-larger Classified figures, as vehicles and playsets for the larger scale become prohibitively expensive and harder to store for all but the smallest things...

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
FWIW, this is the same reason I still prefer GIJoe figures at 3-3/4"-4" scale over the pretty-to-look-at-but-also-larger Classified figures, as vehicles and playsets for the larger scale become prohibitively expensive and harder to store for all but the smallest things...
That scale was really awesome for vehicles and playsets in the 80s and 90s.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Sadly vehicles and playsets seem to be prohibitively expensive for 3 3/4 nowadays too.

As someone who owned the Flagg, The Terror Drome, the Shuttle Launch set, and the Mobile Command Center as a kid I LOVE bases.

I would love for those to be affordable again. I don't think they likely ever will be.

-ZacWilliam, it sucks but there ya go

Haywire

Citizen
Sadly vehicles and playsets seem to be prohibitively expensive for 3 3/4 nowadays too.

For GI Joe, yes, and yet SpinMaster is cranking out vehicles for their DC figures all the time (granted, they're mostly different versions of the Batmobile, but still...)

I really wish that Hasbro would revisit some of the big-ticket vehicles and playsets, too, but they could start small:
For the Joes, there are things like the RAM and Silver Mirage motorcycles, the Devilfish boat, the Polar Battle Bear, and all manner of smaller playsets that could be produced to build a large playset layout Ala cart, as it were.
For Cobra, there's the Ferret ATV, the Night Landing raft, the venerable Trubble Bubble, pretty sure they was a Cobra bunker, Missile emplacement, things like that.

Just get the some stuff out that at least can promote the idea of vehicles and playsets for Joe at an affordable price, and work up from there. The same kind of thing could be done with Transformers, too, but might require a little more creativity...

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I sold off my massive Joe collection back in 2003 to finance my trip to BotCon that year. I don't regret it though as Joe seems to be an expensive hobby these days as well. Plus there were the lean years of the 2000's that had basically no Joe.

Haywire

Citizen
I guess what's ironic is that GI Joe, the original action figure, was created to get in on the action started by Barbie where you sold one doll (or figure), and then made bank selling the accessories and/or vehicles separately. It worked for 12" Joe, and it worked for the original ARAH 3-3/4" line. (Less so for Transformers, but they were almost more like a puzzle toy, originally)

Now, the figures either come with every accessory possible, or none at all, and the idea of playsets, vehicles, or accessory packs to sell alongside them is almost nonexistent. Maybe Hasbro has some inside info we aren't privy to, but from the outside looking in, it seems like there ought to be room in the market for add-on accessory packs?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would love to see those. Hasbro DID dip their toes into it with the likes of the Centurion pack and similar. They hedged their bets by making them pack-ins with a figure, but I would be just as happy to buy them by their lonesome.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think that's more in the sense of "the car" (as in Batman and the car he drives) rather than "the one true batmobile", although there are definitely ones that come to mind for different people when the latter sense is invoked. (Which one is yours? Mine's either the 89 or BTAS.)

But damn, I would absolutely love a proper Hasbro-made Collaborative Batmobile. (And then retool it into Boss, haha.)

I would love to see those. Hasbro DID dip their toes into it with the likes of the Centurion pack and similar. They hedged their bets by making them pack-ins with a figure, but I would be just as happy to buy them by their lonesome.

I wouldn't mind accessory packs by themselves, but there's lots of fun to be had the Centurion Drone or Tricranius route (if they give us newish characters like that). The sheer number of things packed in with the Centurion was very cool. Imagine a new cassette 4-pack that came with a big box/bundle or two of blast effects, Legacy clear weapons in new colors, and new/debuting accessories.

I'd even love to see like random gangmolded accessories packed in with, say, Core class figures, the way the 4inch DC figures come with a few.

[awesome pictures]
Feels to good to seeing the various TF lines, from such good years for the franchise, represented here.

Also, damn it, I still need a Hammerstrike.

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Ditto! I would love some more of those centurion packs. Like imagine having a popular and desired troop builder figure, like a Sharkticon, aligatron, Insecticon, Sweep, Junkion with random paint apps and face, etc, packed with weapons and accessories? They couldn't make enough of them.

Top Bottom