We live in a capitalist dystopia

Ironbite4

Citizen
McDonalds really is trying to win that race to the bottom, aren't they?

Yeah it seems that one franchise is the one who has this policy. Which still violates all sorts of labor laws but you know, it's not the entire company.

Ironbite-wonder who came up with it and have they been shot out of a canon into the sun.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Not just labor laws; there's a word for not letting your workers leave their job, and we literally fought a war over it.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It's not like they could enforce said rule. I doubt they make their employees sign a binding contract complete with financial penalties for not discussing quitting with management first.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
So can the staff be easily replaced, or do they have to jump through hoops to quit? It can't be both.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Oh, it absolutely CAN! Firing you, replacing you, those are quick and easy. McDonalds rejects more applications than harvard and has a significantly lower acceptance rate than the institution. Oh, you want to quit: well, you signed a blatantly illegal and unenforceable contract, and we're banking on you being too poor, stupid and desperate to call us on it.

Now get back to your mcshift; the land whales won't fatten themselves.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
i agree with the first paragraph, but you really coulda made that point without the fatphobia, g.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So, fun fact: mcdonalds corporate uses the exact terms to refer to its customers that the drug rehab industry uses.

Was my comment fat phobic? Maybe. Is reality much, much worse? Yes.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
According to World Population Review, there are 724 billionaires in America. You may know Elon Musk and Bill Gates, but you don't know most of these billionaires, and they wield enormous political power behind the scenes.

If you know this and you're still dead set against wealth redistribution, you're a fool.

"Did you know that manufacturing productivity has doubled?"
"No. What are they doing with all those savings? Are they paying workers more?"
"No."
"Are they lowering the price of manufactured goods?"
"No. In fact, they've raised prices sharply."
"So what are they doing with the extra money then?"
"Have you ever heard of something called a stock buyback?"

Pale Rider

Citizen
FB friend:
It's weird how people can love capitalism while hating capitalist behaviour.

Micro-transactions in gaming? Capitalist behaviour.
Addictive additives in ultra-processed food? Capitalist behaviour.
Sleazy Big Pharma profiteering? Capitalist behaviour.
War profiteering? Capitalist behaviour.
Planned obsolescence? Capitalist behaviour.
Non-user-serviceable machines? Capitalist behaviour.
Cookie-cutter focus-grouped movies? Capitalist behaviour.
Shitty AI customer support? Capitalist behaviour.

Pale Rider

Citizen
FB friend:
BLJQ8Ab.jpg

Pale Rider

Citizen
FB friend:
It's remarkable how hard people push back when you point out that having wealth does not necessarily mean you're smart or hard-working.

How is that even a controversial statement?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I actually have used lucid dreaming to work on a paper I needed to write the next day. It wasn't just for extra time. Inhibitions are way reduced during dreaming. It does help with brainstorming. The thoughts just flow.

Still, what a bunch of dumb comic book villains. If this technology actually works (I am deeply skeptical) then the rest of their plan is completely unnecessary. The technology itself would be more valuable than any work they think anyone would get done with it. It would be more popular than drugs.

Pale Rider

Citizen
I would love to be able to have productive lucid dreams, but I wouldn't want to be expected to have them by my employer. And I would rather use them for topics I enjoy rather than work crap.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
More to the point: they would be the first to point out that there's no effective way to track that time, so no way to pay for it.

Top Bottom