War Sci-fi Fantasy Horror Mystery Crime Thriller

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why isn’t there a Robotech toyline? Wasn’t Matchbox supposed to make one in order to finance the Sentinel series?

With Robotech’s vast cast of characters, vehicles (eg. the different mecha and veritechs), and potential play sets (eg. SDF1,2,3, Macross Island, Monument City, Mars Base) it seems like it would be a no-brainer, perhaps rivaling Star Wars and G.I. Joe in sheer size and scope.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why isn’t Robotech as popular as Star Wars? Robotech has a better, more epic, bigger, more extensive, deeper, and more compelling and complex story. Those who have written for both properties, like James Luceno, have said that Robotech is every bit as good as Star Wars, and wish they could write more Robotech.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Robotech has the most beautiful women:

EB84F141-47B1-4A94-B1DC-B43493177F2B.jpeg
7A84E491-431A-4B18-ABE9-4EB4B71BA610.jpeg
E9982040-BCA7-4769-A047-13FB1FFFB3A5.jpeg
A00EDF65-D9E4-490D-BB16-7A169AE9327D.jpeg

I prefer the old-style Japanese anime. It seems more realistic.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Robotech knew how to pay off:

I want more Lisa Hayes, Claudia Grant, Rick Hunter, Captain Gloval, and the SDF-1 Bridge bunnies.

Can’t we bring them back using time travel? Isn’t that how Star Trek: Picard brought back Picard and Data?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Vehicle Voltron would pair very well with the Robotech Expeditionary Force:

I would not mind merging them.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I have to admit, even though I’m Macross Saga all day everyday, I have to concede Dana Sterling is an attractive, compelling, badass female character:

especially with having the backstory of being the daughter of Max and Miriya Sterling.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
This could have been so beautiful:

This mission was supposed to stop the Masters and Invid, and save future generations from having to fight.

Boy did they fail.

The only reason why we had to have Southern Cross and the New Generation was because there were not enough episodes in Macross to translate.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Some 80s classics you may not be familiar with:

Armored trooper VOTOMS
A former special ops soldier with PTSD stumbles into and tries to save a genetically engineered super-soldier from her creators and escape the ongoing war between the two major powers of the galaxy

Fang of the sun Dougram
The son of a rich beurocrat joins a small group of rebels fighting to free their colony from Earth's control after it's been abused for so long to only supply food etc wihtout giving the colonists a say. Also has one of the more realistic depictions of politics you'll find in any war anime.

Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Half-alien escapes to Earth to try to warn them about the incoming invasion from his alien half, and ends up finding a UN-sponsered student trip to Mars who team up with him to try to escape back to Earth

Heavy metal L-Gaim
The last survivng member of a former Royal family joins(and takes over) a Rebellion to defeat the dictator that rules the 5 Pentagonia worlds with an iron fist, and killed his entire family.

Round Vernian Vifam
In the middle of a war, a ship is attacked and all the adult personell are killed in an encounter with the alien race. Now the kids and thei teacher have to run the ship and mechs alone and make their way back to friendly space.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
ANd since we can only include 5 videos in a single post(and a few of these are actually from the 70s):

Space Runaway Ideon
A archeological crew finds an ancient ship and three vehicles that combine into a giant robot that has some mysterious power, then are chased by aliens at war with Earth who want it for their own reasons.

Metal Armor Dragonar
Kind of a riff on Gundam, it was released alongside Zeta Gundam and if Zeta ha not taken off, this was intended to replace it.

Panzer World Galient
Nominally a Fantasy setting, but there are mecha buried in the world that are dug up and used by the protagonist(a former prince), as well as a seemingly evil lord called Marder who took the protagonist's kingdom, for motives of his own

Space Battleship Yamato
Linking the 2012 remake, but this was originally from 1974, and was brought over as Star Blazers. Earth is on the verge of destruction from the attack of an alien empire, but the planet Iscandar sent them plans for Intersteller drive and the Wave Motion Gun, and asked them to come there, so Yamato is put together and sent out to find help to save Earth.

Legend of Galactic Heroes
This is a massive anime adaption of a novel series about a galactic war. I haven't seen it myself, but it's always been highly reccommended by anyone that's watched it that I've heard.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
That was because of the reactions to Optimus Prime dying in the 86 movie. After that blew up the way it did, they quickly dubbed in the lines about the coma before release to prevent a second blowup of negative PR about kids crying in the theater etc, but that was all they had the time to do without pushing it back.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
eh, you might want to broaden your horizons a bit:

582675.jpg

If you want to really go deep into sci-fi, there's a bunch of military sci-fi series out there that have never made it to video in any fashion, despite deserving it.

OnBasiliskStation.jpg

The Honorverse basically starts off as Napoleonic Wars in space, with Honor standing in for Hortaio Hornblower, though it does eventually introduce carriers(and yes, there is legit technical reasons fighters didn't work in this universe, due to quirks of their spacedrive technology that also informed how their ships are designed and armed, and apart from one particular twist regarding gravity technology, they play fair with Newton and our physics.)

512DR0R55EL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The Bolos are essentially supertanks with AGI, made to protect man throughout many wars. there's a whole history I can't get into here, and MANY authors have played in this universe in the various collections.

vorkosigan-saga.png

I'm not too familiar with this saga, but I've seen it recommended multiple times. It revolves around a mercenary company in a sci-fi universe, is all I can recall at the moment.

Mkwars3.jpg

Like the Bolo books, another situation where a bunch of authors come to play in one author's world - in this case Larry Niven's Known Space universe. These all revolve around the warlike Kzinti and their interstellar wars with the newly expanding humans(and typically getting their tails kicked back to Kzin due to how inventive humans are with their lesser tech)

And that's just a few I'm aware of off the top of my head. (Also I highly recommend the Honorverse books if you want to see how an actual space navy might run things)

Cybersnark

Citizen
I'll chime in to suggest the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie, about a ship's AI trapped in a human body, seeking vengeance for her murdered crew.

radch-empire.jpg

Top Bottom