Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's as much of a reach as anything. At least half that paragraph is fanbase perspective Bay would simply not know or care about. I highly doubt he, or anyone involved in the writing, intended this to be a polemic skewering redecos and retools.

"Transformium" isn't even something really associated with the scientists themselves; the movie specifically calls out the brand name as something focus groups (i.e. average Joe six-packs, not the company itself) liked/chose. This was likely more a dig at that aspect of marketing than anything (or a self-deprecating joke thrown in there to justify a meh writing choice). Ascribing all this to that kind of satirical authorial intent is some TV Tropes level stretching.

"I hate cheap knockoffs" is about the only substantial bit of commentary in that vein, especially given its delivery in the middle of a battle in Hong Kong. But given how the movie panders so heavily to the Chinese audience to begin with, as well as the fact that it's an American corporation doing the knocking-off, it ends up being a sort of mixed message at best.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Sure, Bay has gone on record claiming that he became a fan of the brand after his initial skepticism, but his movies really conveyed an attitude that heavily suggested the contrary.
It could be that he really did become a fan, just not of the stuff most fans are into. Like how Zach Snyder really loves Superman for wanton destruction potential and Jesus symbolism when that's not what most fans like.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It sure feels like Transformers to me whenever Optimus and Megatron are arguing. Or Optimus and Sentinel. Or Megatron and Starscream. I don't know where the "Give me your face" stuff came from, but a lot of the dialog is spot on. Someone involved in these films had some idea what Transformers is about.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
It sure feels like Transformers to me whenever Optimus and Megatron are arguing. Or Optimus and Sentinel. Or Megatron and Starscream. I don't know where the "Give me your face" stuff came from, but a lot of the dialog is spot on. Someone involved in these films had some idea what Transformers is about.
Megatron, with half his face blown off, lying on the ground beaten to a pulp and yelling "STARSCREAM!" in RotF was spot on.

MrBlud

Citizen
I always chuckle when Movie Megatron handles Starscream’s head in TLK and comments on his treachery; because while that his most defined and stereotyped character aspect the films never bothered to actually include him ever doing it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I always chuckle when Movie Megatron handles Starscream’s head in TLK and comments on his treachery; because while that his most defined and stereotyped character aspect the films never bothered to actually include him ever doing it.
Some have argued that Starscream was hidden among the Air Force jets who fired on Megatron as a group in the first movie. But I do admit that that's something one would have to be looking for pretty hard in order to notice in that scene, and it requires one to already be familiar with the typical treacherous nature of most Starscreams beforehand in order to even come to that conclusion in the first place.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
ROTB clear Chainclaw coming out in Japan, with purchase of new Japanese Earthrise toys.

Takara-Tomy-Mall-Exclusive-Transformers-EarthSpark-Burning-Chainclaw-02-200x200.jpg

Takara-Tomy-Mall-Exclusive-Transformers-EarthSpark-Burning-Chainclaw-01-200x200.jpg

I also saw these for sale at a local supermarket.

IMG_20230905_171545.jpg

ROTB Sticker.jpg

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

It might be in ROTF. Resurrecting Megatron was easy, but it's a safe assumption that Starscream was happily planning on never getting around to it. I take it that Soundwave did that on his own.

MrBlud

Citizen
Eh, that’s basically a promotion. Like the difference between someone walking off a cliff by themselves and you pushing them.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I’m still a little disappointed (especially with Transformers One getting pushed back) that the product line ended so soon and so sparse. Right now, the only things really left for US retail are for distribution to catch up to Battlemaster Airrazor and Combiners Optimus Prime.
And whatever the frick Hasbro’s doing with the Core Deluxe and Voyager figures (outside of the Voyagers being Walmart exclusive)

I’m also sad that the toy line(s) didn’t offer more coverage for the villains and Cheetor. Both Nightbird and Cheetor would have been great supplements to the Battlechanger assortment, while Battletrap would have benefitted greatly from a Weaponizer release with a Terrorcon.
My hope remains that Transformers One’s product line echos what was done with Rise of the Beasts. I LOVE the Weaponizers and Battlemaster play pattern, and the Weaponizers turned out to be, generally, pretty solid $10-ish toys on their own right.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
As always, I want a Unicron Trilogy style sublije imprint of all the molds getting redecos in entirely new color schemes.
I still want a “Classic Maximal” 4 pack with the Core figures in classic Beast Wars deco. Or at least something more colorful in the case of the Voyagers (GREAT molds, lackluster colors)
And even then you had better odds of winning the Powerball Lottery than finding a Primal.
I don’t recall Primal being hard to get last May when stuff first rolled out. But he seemed to move pretty well and now Walmarts are flooded with Rhinox.
Speaking of, did ANYONE in the US find the Core Voyagers outside of Walmart? The wiki might need to be amended to denote them as Walmart exclusive.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
As always, I want a Unicron Trilogy style sublije imprint of all the molds getting redecos in entirely new color schemes.
Some of us have said we wanted them in the previously made/designed recolours for those characters, especially if they have been limited to certain shops in the past (such as Nightprowler colours, Halloween colours, Fox Kids, etc).

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I can't seem to find a Beast Wars thread (or one for Japanese news) so I'll post this here.

Image of Beast Wars Japan Screening Event with Hozumi Goda Voice of Lio Convoy__scaled_800.jpg

Completion of key visual Super wanted diffusion

10/1 (Sun) 16:45 open, 17:00 start Ikebukuro Shinbungeiza "movie version #ビーストウォーズ " screening event

A super cool key visual flyer by Naoto Tsushima @naototsushima has been completed Ah‼

ticket

Tomorrow 9/9 (Sat) 18:00~
Sold at the ticket pay below! !
4,500 yen
https://ticketpay.jp/booking/?event_id=47853

Screening works

BW clash! beast warrior
BW Ⅱ Lio Convoy Close Call
BW Metals
BW Convoy makeover! 4 bottles of ...! !
Applause, cheers, cheers welcome! !
Bring My Transformers OK! !

Talk stage!

Hozumi Goda (as Lio Convoy)
Mr. Wotafa (toy reviewer)

RCX

Citizen
That's the best price I've seen for this toy, 20 bucks over retail and free shipping.
Interesting thing is that it is sold and fulfilled via Walmart.com with that inflated price.
This is a first...since when is Walmart themselves in the business of gouging?!? Voyager OP is that price now as well.

Last edited:

Top Bottom