Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

TM2-Megatron

Citizen

i lost brain cells from how goddamned stupid this review is

I can't believe anyone would prefer Bay's excrement to this.

The Bay films are trash and best left forgotten and unconnected to this new, hopefully better, series.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Mirage finally showed us what it could have been like if Bumblebee had been allowed to have a voice from the get-go.

But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Spielberg wanted another E.T.!

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Mirage finally showed us what it could have been like if Bumblebee had been allowed to have a voice from the get-go.

But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Spielberg wanted another E.T.!
That wasn't even so bad in itself, but then they had to do this to us with his voice in the ending and sequels:

qU1mug7.jpg

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
That wasn't even so bad in itself, but then they had to do this to us with his voice in the ending and sequels:
Only because it was done in the first movie, which became an iconic milestone for the brand, so all parties involved felt that they HAD to keep it for the sequels.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But was it, though?

For all the discourse I've heard around the movies, from people like us who hang out on forums and chats talking about it day after day to more casual fans, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone be like, "Oh, but you know what the best part was? When Bumblebee used his radio to talk. I don't know what I'd do if they ever took that away..."

Okay, the last bit may be a touch hyperbolic, but at the same time, not by much. The only time I remember hearing anyone talk about it is how they were done with it yesterday.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Maybe if Bumblebee branded it as 'Talk TV, do you talk TV' like Wreck Gar did, it would be more memorable. Cuz people remember that Wreck Gar bit.

Btw, at the ending, didn't it look like the hanger was suppose to have more tech or whatever in it? There was only that... spaceship. I feel like it was suppose to be an impressive shot but... there was barely anything.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Maybe if Bumblebee branded it as 'Talk TV, do you talk TV' like Wreck Gar did, it would be more memorable. Cuz people remember that Wreck Gar bit.

Btw, at the ending, didn't it look like the hanger was suppose to have more tech or whatever in it? There was only that... spaceship. I feel like it was suppose to be an impressive shot but... there was barely anything.
Money’s tight when you’re doing an 11th hour teaser for another franchise…

I think the intent was just the fact there was this massive hitech lab in what appeared to be a generic warehouse sector.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Box Office Update! Numbers will probably adjust tomorrow, but as of the time I’m posting, Rise of the Beasts is already on track to beat Bumblebee’s US domestic gross by next weekend, though the international numbers have been softer. Of note, the film has yet to open in Japan, Australia and New Zealand and foreign results are usually slower to be reported. Assuming an average holdover, Rise of the Beasts is on track to beat Last Knight and Bumblebee at the US box office, with final gross likely in the $140-150 million range.

International is still a toss up at this point, but at MINIMUM, the film should hit near $450 million, about where Bumblebee ended up.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
You need to remember that the cinemas get a cut of that money and marketing costs, so the film hasn't broken even, yet as the budget is about two million and general rule of thumb is to doulble that for marketing, so the film is not very sucessful, yet not a out right flop, unlike Elementals and the Flash, the Flash is pretty much looking to be one of the worse bombs in box office history!

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Box Office Update! Numbers will probably adjust tomorrow, but as of the time I’m posting, Rise of the Beasts is already on track to beat Bumblebee’s US domestic gross by next weekend, though the international numbers have been softer. Of note, the film has yet to open in Japan, Australia and New Zealand and foreign results are usually slower to be reported. Assuming an average holdover, Rise of the Beasts is on track to beat Last Knight and Bumblebee at the US box office, with final gross likely in the $140-150 million range.

International is still a toss up at this point, but at MINIMUM, the film should hit near $450 million, about where Bumblebee ended up.
Yes, it's not out yet in Japan. I'm probably going to watch it at home via "teh intaneets"...

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But was it, though?

For all the discourse I've heard around the movies, from people like us who hang out on forums and chats talking about it day after day to more casual fans, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone be like, "Oh, but you know what the best part was? When Bumblebee used his radio to talk. I don't know what I'd do if they ever took that away..."

Okay, the last bit may be a touch hyperbolic, but at the same time, not by much. The only time I remember hearing anyone talk about it is how they were done with it yesterday.
It's the money that talks. Big corporate executives look at the money and think, "This movie had Bumblebee with a radio voice. People (especially kids) seemed to like it because this movie made us a lot of money. Therefore, we must continue to use his radio voice in the sequels if we want to keep pleasing kids people enough to give us more money."

All that money didn't come from us longtime fans. It came from casual moviegoers and the kids whose parents took them to see the movie.

Of note, the film has yet to open in Japan,
I'm also wary of how well that release will do, since it's been confirmed that that the Japanese dub director for this movie is none other than Yoshikazu Iwanami, the same man who directed the voice acting and script localization for the Japanese gag dubs that were Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated, Prime, and Cyberverse.

Prepare for every dramatic moment in this movie to be undercut by fourth wall jokes, many more pop culture references, severe personality changes, and oodles of gag humor.

Nightbird's being voiced by Blackarachnia's Japanese voice actor. Expect her to be one of the silliest characters in the dub.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I would rewatch the movie again just for a silly dub, hehe. Maybe they'd put more lines for Cheetor or Rhinox, hehe

Btw, I remember Prime practically only calling Bumblebee as Bee. Is that a thing now?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
It released in NZ as of the 21st, though box office results haven't been reported on it yet. My local cinema had a "preview" screening on the 10th which I went to.

Magnusblitz

Citizen

Which isn't as good as it sounds, unfortunately, because 1) inflation (quick google tells me roughly 20% from Dec 2018 to now) and 2) difference in budget (Bumblebee had a budget of ~$135M, ROTB had a budget of $200M). Not good to make 80% as much but cost 1.5x.

It's no bomb, but I think it also might do mediocre enough that Hasbro will at least second-guess their future plans for TF and GIJOE movies, especially with a lot of other 'cinematic universes' sputtering out.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
What bought down Marvel & DC is bad writing, a heavy relience on CGI and being very expensive! I think the future plans will likely be smaller budget movies, around the mid range, not like 200 million as in this case, but far less, of course, trusting the filmmakers to actually produce a good film will help, the Flash is a product of various regime changes and a attempt to try and pander to Twitter, thus was a disaster waiting to happen, while Marvel, they lost their mojo after End Game, well techinally before End Game, it was the directors who managed to salvage that film from having this silly girl power/girl boss thing from happening, aside from that one scene, since then, the returns have declined massively and they over done it with TV shows! Cinematic Universes should take a break, well the comic book ones if you ask me, its time for Hollywood to course correct and story wasting money, why spend 200 million to make one movie when you can do two at half the price or four for 50 million apiece and then you got a one in four chance of making a lot of money! So with Transformers, Rise of the Beasts feels like a step in the right direction but its coming very late, as Bay left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and in general, he went and butchered every major Decepticon that featured in the western G1 series and they barely developed the Transformers as characters, so with this film, the director was clearly trying to flesh out the characters but towards the end, it appears that the studio was messing around with the project!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The whole industry does need to stop and rethink these insane budgets. It's just not working anymore.

Except for James Cameron. I don't know how he does it.

Spin-Out

i cant take it anymore im at my limit
Citizen
Except for James Cameron. I don't know how he does it.
tbh at this point he could make a movie consisting of a CGI elephant farting the star-spangled banner for three hours and most critics would give him a free pass

Last edited:

Top Bottom