Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
That is...weird. I do think this Wheeljack is going to get painted by customizers a lot, though. Brains from Thunderbirds is a great fit for the head, Fillmore from Cars, the Mystery Machine, there's just a lot of really neat recolor ideas a person could do with it to spice up the tan and brown...
Yes, anything but Wheeljack really. If this figure was officially released under a new name, I would have been more interested honestly, so a new paintjob and name would work wonders for me.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Because people are still pretending to be unable to understand the issue, because there's this weird internet thing where pretending not to understand is supposed to be witty or something.

Personally, I dislike the Bumblebee movie designs and everything they stand for, but for the people who did like them and hoped they were indicative of a new direction for the series, it shouldn't be hard to understand how it could feel like there was a bit of a bait and switch here.

Meh. They got fanservice, and they'll continue to get it, just not in every single instance. Maybe down the line we'll get some G1 colors slapped on to this with a more G1 style head, like we did with DOTM Que. Maybe we won't. Whatever. Regardless, I have no problem with the altmode OR this head, which is actually kind of neat and characterful in a way not dissimilar to G1 Wheeljack's.

But then, I've spent like the last decade or so just cherry-picking bits and pieces from the movie lines specifically for repurposing on my own terms, and I need to remember not everyone bothers with that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I do think this Wheeljack is going to get painted by customizers a lot, though. Brains from Thunderbirds is a great fit for the head, Fillmore from Cars, the Mystery Machine, there's just a lot of really neat recolor ideas a person could do with it to spice up the tan and brown...
Don't forget the Urkelbot from Family Matters.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wow. This video's blacklisted regions are: AD, AL, AS, AT, AU, AX, BA, BE, BG, BY, CA, CC, CH, CK, CX, CY, CZ, DE, DK, EE, ES, FI, FJ, FK, FM, FO, FR, GG, GI, GL, GR, GS, HM, HR, HU, IS, IT, JE, KI, LI, LT, LU, LV, MC, MD, ME, MH, MK, MP, MT, NC, NF, NL, NO, NR, NU, NZ, PF, PG, PL, PN, PT, PW, RO, RS, SB, SE, SI, SJ, SK, SM, TK, TV, UM, US, VA, VU, WF, and WS.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, has anyone bought one of the Flex Changer figures and tried it out? Are they really just a new semi-auto transforming (oh, sorry, converting) gimmick? They're like $17 USD, and don't really fit in any size class well, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on one, but I do want to pick up a Nightbird figure of some type at some point...

On an aside, why can't we get Core-scale-class figures for RotB and Earthspark (and previously, Cyberverse)? Lots of great new characters and designs in those series, but the smaller size classes are pretty much just novelty gimmick toys. (Not complaining about the Beast Weapons, but the lack of RotB cast in the handy and space-saving Core-class. I will complain about the Earthrise finger puppets and Cyberverse half-transformed "action attack" modes all day long, though. What's wrong with just being a small figure that converts from robot to vehicle or beast modes?)

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
In terms of Nightbird, she’s seemingly a major antagonist, so there will be more toys of her. We KNOW there’s the Core Deluxe version (which will get an individual release later on), plus listings have confirmed Nightbird in the Studio Series as well. And I’d be shocked if she didn’t crop up in Beast Alliance at some point, we have at least one or two more waves completely unknown to us.

Given prior trends, it’d probably be safe to “wait out the line” until the fall before buying anything. In addition to future assortments, there is also the possibility of retailer exclusive offerings.

In terms of the Core-size? I think the issue is that it exists in a weird “middle ground”. To get something reasonably compelling you have to commit enough in part count and deco that it starts to lose out on the “value“ proposition. I think the Action Scouts and Fingerpuppets are a compromise in getting something interesting out at a small size AND a small pricepoint.
To be honest, I ADORE how Hasbro has handled Beast Alliance. Aside from some deco complaints, the size, complexity and price all ”feel” like they hit a wonderful sweet spot I don’t feel we’ve really had in years. I’m really hoping that Hasbro maintains this structure for Transformers Zero next year.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do like the releases we've seen so far, in that there's a healthy variety of styles and looks for a pretty good range of characters (rather than just an Op and Bee in all the lines and only one version of Cheetor or some such).

The Beast Alliance gimmick is pretty neat. What I'd love, though, as always, is plenty of redecos and off screen characters (or even same-characrer redecos that can pass as other characters, whatever) from this myriad of molds and versions. It might be fun to get, say, one of each Arcee version, but not if they're all Arcees.

Bit bummed that the ROTB mainline is for some reason SO much more expensive than Studio Series here (I was half expecting a markup since it's THE line being pushed for the movie and whatnot, but the discrepancy is wild). But I guess that makes the decision to just wait a bit even easier.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I do like the releases we've seen so far, in that there's a healthy variety of styles and looks for a pretty good range of characters (rather than just an Op and Bee in all the lines and only one version of Cheetor or some such).

The Beast Alliance gimmick is pretty neat. What I'd love, though, as always, is plenty of redecos and off screen characters (or even same-characrer redecos that can pass as other characters, whatever) from this myriad of molds and versions. It might be fun to get, say, one of each Arcee version, but not if they're all Arcees.

Bit bummed that the ROTB mainline is for some reason SO much more expensive than Studio Series here (I was half expecting a markup since it's THE line being pushed for the movie and whatnot, but the discrepancy is wild). But I guess that makes the decision to just wait a bit even easier.
To sound like a repeating record, there's what I hope they do with Cheetor. They could release it in Nightstalker and Shadow Panther colours and the bigger version in Beast Machines or Transmetal 1 colours.

Lobjob

Citizen
I couldn't resist buying these first wave toys. Mainline Primal is pretty awesome, but I know a better, more eye catching color scheme is coming. It has to. I'd love to see him in beast machines toy colors, but really any splash of color would rule. These figures are good. His gorilla mode, while not super articulate is pretty convincing.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
New character posters. Love how colorful and bright these are getting, and really, it's starting to feel real now, like this is really happening and the Maximals are for real going to be in a summer blockbuster.

It's kind of funny to be getting this cross-section of robot faces. Bay-era-tweaked-into-Knight-era Bee and Op, Knight-era porcelain doll face Arcee (and Mirage follows a similar "big plates" approach), Knight-era narrower-plates-and-rolled-foil-lips for Wheeljack). Is anyone else getting Milne art vibes from Mirage's face and expression? There's also some odd asymmetry above the forehead crest that I'm just now noticing.

FukkTV-aAAcZCBu.jpg
FukmDhiaEAESdZX.jpg
FukmKgJaEAUXrXp.jpg
FukmT0saAAAezuX.jpg
FukmaKwaYAAY4a9.jpg
FupqyFjaMAMdzbA.jpg

FupqBqZaMAAQRKY.jpg
FupqrYSaEAARuRd.jpg
FupqVYraYAAJ0I3.jpg

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Paramount pictures English language verison:

My thoughts:
More bayformers, big, overblown and little substance from what I can tell

The Phazer

Citizen
Huh, much more explicit about Unicron as the baddie then.

I don't think even Paramount know if this is a reboot at this point or not though. Everything seems a bit low energy in that trailer.

Top Bottom