Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - Trailer 1 Released!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The more I think about the whole "reboot or not" debate surrounding Bumblebee, Rise of the Beasts, and this movie, the more I begin to realize that all these post-TLK movies seem willing to mainly/only keep continuity with the 2007 movie, but none of the sequels.

Bumblebee threw out TLK's claim of Bee having been on Earth since World War II and many other Transformers having come during various points in history, but still uses Sector Seven, a younger Agent Simmons, purposely omits Megatron from the opening sequence on Cybertron (since he'd be frozen inside Hoover Dam on Earth during that time), and ends with Bumblebee scanning a pristine version of the old Camaro he'd have at the beginning of the 2007 film.

Rise of the Beasts ignored TLK's depiction of Unicron as being within the Earth by instead opting for the more traditional appearance of him as a massive monster planet separate from Earth (though, the movie also subtly hinted that the Maximals and Terrorcons came from the future, meaning ROTB Unicron did as well, but I digress), but also took steps to ensure that the greater world at large remained oblivious to the existence of the Transformers per the initial status quo of the 2007 movie. Creator comments also described Optimus's character arc in this movie as being meant to show how he becomes the person that he is in the 2007 movie.

Now, while those two movies seemed to have only disregarded the messy movie that was TLK (and Steven Caple Jr. even admitted that he didn't care for either it or AOE), going by what we can see in the trailer for TF One, it seems very possible that it may end up ignoring the events of both ROTF and DOTM as well. TF One seems to be drawing heavily from the backstory created for the Aligned continuity, which took some aspects from the 2007 movie's backstory, but greatly contradicted what both ROTF and DOTM added to said first movie's backstory.
  • Namely, the TF One trailer shows what look to be the corpses of the Thirteen, with D-16 giving particular attention to what looks to be the dead body of Megatronus, The Fallen. Whereas ROTF was all about The Fallen's survival into the present day and being the living mentor of Megatron. The Thirteen themselves are also an issue since there were only Seven Primes in ROTF.
  • The Aligned backstory also had Optimus acquiring the Matrix of Leadership in the distant past on Cybertron long before he ever first came to Earth, whereas ROTF had him first acquire the Matrix on Earth in the 21st century, after it had been hidden away on the planet within the Tomb of the Primes since ancient times. And sure enough, we see a glimpse of Orion Pax becoming Optimus Prime, Matrix and all, in this trailer.
  • And then there's Sentinel Prime, who appears to the be blue guy being tortured by a Quintesson in the trailer. In the Aligned backstory, he died on Cybertron during this past era. If he dies in this movie, too, then that goes against DOTM saying he departed Cybertron aboard a spacecraft named the Ark, crash-landed on Earth's moon in 1961, and was reawakened on Earth by Optimus Prime in the 21st century (and had also made a deal with Megatron regarding the conquest of Earth).
Granted, it still remains to be seen just how much of this movie's plot will be faithful to the Aligned backstory, but a pretty fair amount of what's seen in this trailer seems to line up with it. And, the trailer still made a point to mention Bee's original name of B-127, as first given in the Bumblebee movie, in order to at least align with that.

So it seems that what we have here is less of a hard reboot like so many have been insisting, and more of a case of the 2007 movie occupying multiple expanded universes consisting of different movies. A "sequel continuity" (2007 plus ROTF, DOTM, AOE, and TLK) and a "prequel continuity" (2007 plus BB, ROTB, and One), if you will. This is basically like how the Beast Wars cartoon occupies multiple expanded universes of its own (the BotCon one, the Dreamwave one, the 2006 IDW one, the Japanese G1 one, and the Wings Universe), or like how the Marvel G1 comics are followed by the Marvel G2 comics in one universe, followed by the Fun Pub Classics fiction in another universe, and followed by Regeneration One (and preceded by both Transformers '84 and Secrets & Lies) in yet another universe.

Is all of this complicated, confusing, and convoluted? Yeah. But that's what happens when different creators all want to play in the same sandbox, but not with each other. It happens. A lot.

Last edited:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I cannot imagine any reality where TF: One is not completely and obviously in its own new continuity. They are certainly not going to care one ounce to make it line up with the continuity of anything previous.

-ZacWilliam, Which is fine and good. Let it be it's own thing telling it's own story.

Blot

Citizen
I'd be very shocked if they tried to tie One into the live action stuff.

B-127 is just a cute way of allowing the characters to keep calling him "Bee" even though there's no reason he should be called Bumblebee what with the bumblebee being an terran animal.
"And who's this?"
"Oh that's Hound. Nice guy."

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I cannot imagine any reality where TF: One is not completely and obviously in its own new continuity. They are certainly not going to care one ounce to make it line up with the continuity of anything previous.

-ZacWilliam, Which is fine and good. Let it be it's own thing telling it's own story.
Transformers films are in continuity the same way all the X-men films were in continuity with themselves.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Well... the X-men films had contradictions certainly but they were still WAY more in continuity with each other than most of the TF films.

-ZacWilliam, background and minor character contradictions are fairly overlookable, as opposed to major backstory and plot contridictions.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I keep forgetting they made him one of the O13, to be honest.
That was his whole thing when he was introduced.

Lw5YHNw.jpeg

(Yes, this came out months before the Cybertron cartoon first hit English-speaking television.)

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The more I think about the whole "reboot or not" debate surrounding Bumblebee, Rise of the Beasts, and this movie, the more I begin to realize that all these post-TLK movies seem willing to mainly/only keep continuity with the 2007 movie, but none of the sequels.

Is all of this complicated, confusing, and convoluted? Yeah. But that's what happens when different creators all want to play in the same sandbox, but not with each other. It happens. A lot.

FFS.

It can also stop happening. This is exactly why they need to pull the thumb out and just start the hell over already. Commit to SOMETHING rather than keeping wtihin the gray area of reboot-or-not, to no one's real benefit. Tell the new story and let it be its own story. The second best time to do it is now.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This movie definitely seems to not be in any kind of continuity with the Bay era movies. It borrows some elements from it, yes, but no more than any other new series reuses elements from other previous iterations. This is about as clean a break as is possible. I, for one, am glad they finally did it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It can also stop happening. This is exactly why they need to pull the thumb out and just start the hell over already. Commit to SOMETHING rather than keeping wtihin the gray area of reboot-or-not, to no one's real benefit. Tell the new story and let it be its own story. The second best time to do it is now.
They're simply too afraid of alienating fans of the 2007 movie (because of how much money both it and its pre-TLK sequels made) to let go of it. That's what it boils down to. Typical executive mindset.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm still a fan of the 2007 movie and I do not want any more sequels or maybequels. Let it go.

Which I do think they're doing here. Nothing about this trailer makes me doubt for a second that TFOne is a completely new continuity.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The first sentence tells you everything you need to know. It's not about quality, it's about the old-timers wanting the warm blanket of nostalgia and being the audience, not those silly kids.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I couldn't help but chuckle when the Hasbro team went out of their way to state that the odd grey used on TFOne Deluxe Optimus Prime was a result of the Pantone colors sent by the studio. Like, they KNEW it looked bad in person, but were compelled to be accurate to the studio sources.

And in fairness, in "natural lighting", the "warm grey" doesn't look AS BAD as the bright promo pics lead me to believe.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Man, it was like this back when that show first premiered, and again with the Prime Wars Trilogy before then. We longtime fans recognized that both of those shows were bad, but casuals on places like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. praised them both as masterpiece works better than any other Transformers media ever created (minus the sacrosanct G1 cartoon, of course, for it can never be matched in all its glorious 1980s perfection). :rolleyes:

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
While I do like the WfC Trilogy on Netflix, trying to compare that to Transformers One is a joke.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
That's just a glorified "hot take" I see on forums all the time.

I should stop being lazy. If that guy can make a living churning out that, surely I can make a mark with my thoughts and analysis. The volume of content he seems to churn out indicates his articles are about as well thought out as my posts!
Rant over, back to Transformers One discussion...

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I suggest not engaging the obvious hateclick bait. The author knows the Netflix series suck, they know we know it sucks but the ad revenue don’t care. To call these article mills rags is an insult to rags which are quite honestly very useful

Top Bottom