Transformers Legacy toyline

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
This persistent false dilemma of it ONLY either being this or a fully licensed Dodge Viper is not where I saw this going on the Allspark. I don't know that anyone's even specifically asking for a retool of Shadow Striker into a licensed Dodge Viper, so who is that counterargument even for?
The argument is that the Dodge Viper is very distinct and not as easy to get a "close enough but not" design as some other car designs.

I brought up Bumblebee because the VW Bug is the same kind of car. And when the VW was off the table they gave us various versions of G1 'Bee in alt modes that were too round, too blocky, and various levels of "eh that's not a Bug."

And I- and most people- were fine with it because we couldn't get a VW Bug.

And I guess my point is that after years of accepting generic yellow coups as Bumblebee this blocky car as Sideburn is just fine to me.

What with the overpriced Fire Convoy and this lame Sideburn, I think Hasbro has done RID dirty recently so far.
The RiD 2001 Prime HasLab is their most successful TF HasLab release yet.

Seems RiD fans don't share your perspective. And thank G-d.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The thing about this mold's altmode is that it is still 90% Cyberverse Shadow Striker, and no exposed engine or change in color scheme is gonna change that.

8ibTUG3.jpeg

s9rhjOM.jpeg

Besides the engine and the windows being red (which seems to be a reference to ROTF Shadow Striker), the only major visual differences are that its sharper angles have been rounded off and smoothed out a bit, but most of which are still visible in the molding.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Those two vehicles look pretty different, honestly. Like they didn't even get the hood correct, even ignoring the engine block, the middle is concave in cyberverse but convex on the toy. All of the shapes and stylings are off, the windows are the wrong shade, the wheels are almost flat on the toy while on the show model they're super concave.

It's more like a vague approximation someone made from memory.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I feel like the toys is what you would get if you put RiD Sideburn and Cyberverse Shadow Striker on either end of an animorphs type slide bar and moved it 75 to 80 percent toward Striker.

-ZacWilliam, it's her Cyberverse vehicle with just a dash of his changing it up in the details.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This whole thing is so weird. In trying to make something that's both, they made decisions that led to a weird mishmash that is not sufficiently either and so might as well be neither. It's almost Side Burn's robot mode transforming into Shadow Striker's altmode, except the altmode doesn't end up looking much like Shadow Striker's altmode.

It has some of the angular vibe, such as in the doors/sides. But the rest of the altmode, in particular the oddly blobby hood, looks nothing like Shadow Striker's. What should feel more like Prime Wheeljack with a different hood ends up being something like a stock car with an odd three-part hood.

(I don't know, were they taking inspiration from ROTF Shadow Striker's pointy hood along with the window colors? Because both of those are absurd choices for something ostensibly homaging Cyberverse Shadow Striker. But then, this is the design team that made a BW Scavenger head instead of an Antagony head, and decided to make Antagony.

Edit: Googling it and even the shape of the headlights is a closer match. What is going on.)

Last edited:

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
So Sandstorm is amazing. Like, spectacularly good. Shard is also really decent. I like her even without the whole 'pick her apart and use her as armor' gimmick. Haven't opened the rest yet. Really looking forward to Silverbolt and Starscream.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
The thing about this mold's altmode is that it is still 90% Cyberverse Shadow Striker, and no exposed engine or change in color scheme is gonna change that.

8ibTUG3.jpeg

s9rhjOM.jpeg

Besides the engine and the windows being red (which seems to be a reference to ROTF Shadow Striker), the only major visual differences are that its sharper angles have been rounded off and smoothed out a bit, but most of which are still visible in the molding.
When you order a car from Wishdotcom.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Honestly, as far as the mold goes, the only thing that really bothers me is the... protrusion... on the front.

(The flames should be better, too, but that's a separate issue.)
Exactly. Hasbro has made KO vehicles for many of their TFs (especially of licenced cars), so they could easily do the same for Sideburn.

What with the overpriced Fire Convoy and this lame Sideburn, I think Hasbro has done RID dirty recently so far.
In RiD 2001, even. They just made X-Brawn's headlights into circles and called it a day.

Lobjob

Citizen
Most of the car can even work as is, just the rear bumper is a flat plank and that car front is entirely... You know what, why is Shadow Striker's vehicle mode nose so... bulbous to begin with? I'm boggled at how one gets from the show model to this toy; If that were leaner and more angular like the Ultra class toy's, there might have been less work to do. Like, from there just round it off and make it a single shape rather than three.

This is the bit that genuinely makes it feel like an unfinished digibash.

This is what I was getting at when I asked "why" it had to look this way. This *isn't* how her front looked in the show. Its like, an inverted version of it. It feels like the car was designed in chunks and then just put together with the front silouette not being taken in to account.

Its just a weird car design, which only bugs me because everything else about the mold is so cool.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This is what I was getting at when I asked "why" it had to look this way. This *isn't* how her front looked in the show. Its like, an inverted version of it. It feels like the car was designed in chunks and then just put together with the front silouette not being taken in to account.

Its just a weird car design, which only bugs me because everything else about the mold is so cool.
I think I figured out what the protrusion at the front of her car mode might be a reference to:

ROTF-toy_ShadowStriker.jpg

This would also explain not just the red windows but also the car's anomalous bulbous shape.

Shadhausen

Citizen
Surprising no one, Gears is also super good. Like, can we revive Tiny Gawd status?
I need a Swerve from this mold so I can take him with me and have a tiny buddy for when I'm bored as hell at work.

I'd probably consider Gears a Tiny God if his vehicle mode wasn't crap.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think I figured out what the protrusion at the front of her car mode might be a reference to:

ROTF-toy_ShadowStriker.jpg

This would also explain not just the red windows but also the car's anomalous bulbous shape.
Yup. That was my guess too. The headlights being off may be part of it as well.

Top Bottom