Transformers Legacy toyline

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
That Wheeljack just looks awful. And Trailbreaker looks like a neutral move to me, so I'm pretty good at completely skipping this set.

ZacWilliam, I'd buy a Hound solo, but I'm happy enough with the Seige dude that I don't need it otherwise...

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I just don't really care about the 5 pack. I've already got most of the figures from the first go-around and honestly, I'm kind of over Hound now. I've got the WFC Stege release and while it's not my ideal version, it's good enough. I would like the earth mode (or would have liked it, were it released a couple of years ago), but not nearly enough now to throw down on four other figures that I don't.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Wheeljack is hilariously bland. And the Trailbreaker, while not bad, is the definition of a lateral move (although the sky blue windows work better for him rather than Wheeljack for reasons we've discussed). So far nothing's REALLY stepped up alongside Hound to justify this set. But then, cartoon decos aren't the ideal way to do that, I guess.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I do wonder for Origins Wheeljack, he has six slots for Energon rods, Bumblebee only came with five. I'm looking at some of the weapons from the Red Cog pack and wondering if any barrels would fit in those slots. I haven't bothered to get out calipers to see if any are equivalent as I'm not THAT curious and QC being what it is, a lot will require test-fitting anyhow.

On that note I am tempted when Bumblebee isn't in there, to just throw every loose accessory I have into the back and say Wheeljack dropped his sports car mode and went back to the hovervan because the car didn't have enough trunk space for all his junk he hauled around. One of the real life reasons I want one of those battery trucks, the huge front trunk combined with the bed would be a great thing for me.

Steadfast

Freelancer
Citizen
... Wheeljack dropped his sports car mode and went back to the hovervan because the car didn't have enough trunk space for all his junk he hauled around.

Tangentially, Wheejack's Cybertronian altmode never made sense to me in the context of everyone else's matching their Earth mode pretty well. ("Everyone else" being like four guys, admittedly.)

Storywise, I guess Wheeljack makes more sense in that scene than Ironhide or Ratchet or whoever, but it's always bugged me.

Toy-wise, it's interesting that they gave the engineer-inventor role to a sportscar, which is where this rabbit-hole starts.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's what I use Prime's trailer for. If he's gonna drag it around every time he converts to truck mode, he may as well haul all of the loose parts!

Cybersnark

Citizen
Tangentially, Wheejack's Cybertronian altmode never made sense to me in the context of everyone else's matching their Earth mode pretty well. ("Everyone else" being like four guys, admittedly.)
In the cartoon at least, it's likely Wheeljack didn't get to choose his alt-mode, it was just assigned based on whatever Teletraan-1 had scanned.

Maybe he just decided he liked being a sportscar.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In the cartoon at least, it's likely Wheeljack didn't get to choose his alt-mode, it was just assigned based on whatever Teletraan-1 had scanned.

Teletraan 1 just picked alt modes for everyone based on closest color match. It had been a long day and Teletraan could not be bothered with a bunch of repainting.

Steadfast

Freelancer
Citizen

That's actually a good point. They never dwelled on it in the fiction (that I recall), and later series generally made it more intentional, but as presented in MTMTE, yeah, it sure is a coincidence everyone matched so well.

It would be fun for a What If? toyline to really explore that-- keep the sizes, colorschemes and silhouettes (and not just random heads lol) and mix it up. Optimus as a motorcycle! Starscream as a tank! Constructions as random (and out-of-scale) whatevers. Just go nuts.

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
Has anyone actually seen any Legacy United figures physically in stores yet?
I've seen a whole bunch of animated Bee and Laser Prime repack at GameStop.

Attachments

• IMG_20240120_135135985.jpg
    IMG_20240120_135135985.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 30

Dake

Citizen

I'm convinced (with absolutely zero reason beyond the obvious), that Cybertronian Wheeljack was supposed to be Ratchet and wires got crossed somewhere in the early animation process.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
My brother claims to have seen some United at Walmart near him, but there's been no sign of them an hour away near me.

-ZacWilliam, I don't disbelieve him just sad to be left out.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
His bio even mentions that he's a really good driver on top of being a genius inventor and I feel like that aspect is rarely explored.

I like to think of Wheeljack as the Autobot mad scienist, who comes up with all sorts of crazy inventions and half of them blow up in his face, which is why he wears a face plate, for protection and the lights on the side of his face are for when he commucating with another bot who having audio problems after something went bang in his lab, thus they got to read what the lights are saying until their audio processors are working again! That my head cannon for Wheeljack, while my headcannon for Shockwave, who is his oppoite in the cons in a lot of ways, is that he is again so smart, yet lodgical that he makes clones of himself, to conduct all of his various experiements and has a hidden lab that deep breath the surface of Cybertron and apart of his experiements, he creates a time machine and purposely alters history while keeping his lab isolated from all of the changes!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The only Core class Legacy figures my stores have are a bunch of Iguanuses from all the way back in Wave 1. And they keep restocking them.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Iirc the 25th anniversary G1 toy reissue is sort of in that direction with its paler red cab.

Top Bottom