Transformers Legacy toyline

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Yeah, there needs to be an official name for the act of trying to make a 3D object appear to be a 2D object that is trying to look like a 3D object.

"R'lyeh"?

-Perceptor's attempt to test the Key to Vector Sigma in reverse ended badly...

33337928648_485deca893_c.jpg

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Actually, I kind of DO care, precisely because I've been struggling with language to describe this not-even-what-folks-try-to-call-"cel shading" thing supposedly attempting to emulate the comic book look (but failing, IMHO). To know that "cel shading" isn't even the right term when talking about a look intended to emulate cartoon cels in toys is useful to me.

Now if only we can determine a proper name for whatever this actually is....
"Comic shading"

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
"Comic shading" seems like a reasonable term. Grimlock is comic-colored and looks good! Shockwave is comic-shaded and looks awful.

I do love the box and that Optimus head accessory though, that will be hard to pass up. Grimlock is an easier choice, and is really the first Legacy Dinobot I'm interested in.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
"Comic Sans Neon"-when the figure's colors mAKe yUr eYez HurT...

Odd thought, does Shockwaves Prime head come from any mold we've seen before? The base is new...

Last edited:

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
"Comic shading" seems like a reasonable term. Grimlock is comic-colored and looks good! Shockwave is comic-shaded and looks awful.

I do love the box and that Optimus head accessory though, that will be hard to pass up. Grimlock is an easier choice, and is really the first Legacy Dinobot I'm interested in.
Oh, on closer inspection, Grimlock does have a lot of that geometric black "shading," just not quite as prominently as Shockwave. The weird angry dino eyebrow is the worst offender. Meh... maybe I'll skip both.

MrBlud

Citizen
Wheeljack’s vehicle mode deco is offensively bad.

All the correct aspects are there. They’re just too small.

Shadhausen

Citizen
All I see that are too small are the green stripes. Otherwise, that's literally the deco he had in the cartoon.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
tf_rotf00083-24900-1024-1024-80-wm-left_top-100-Unicroncomwatermarkpng.jpg

It goes back to the discussion about the windshield. If he had his round windshield that ended before the split in the legs, it would give more room on the hood for the green stripes. It would really bring the whole thing together better. As it is, the car mode does seem a little too plain white.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah - almost laughably bland in altmode. Why oh why did they do the square windshield?

Top Bottom