Tomb Raider

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Something to note for timeline sake. I didn't own a PS2 (and therefore something that could play PS1 games) until well after owning a PS3. By then, the grid based play of the old games was just as frustrating as save crystals.

IMG_2724.jpeg

Beat it on PC a couple times. Unfortunately now I don't have a computer that can run it. So I got the PS version. I just can't get used the to Save Crystals though. Never finished it on PS.

IMG_2725.jpeg

Ditto.

IMG_2726.jpeg

Never finished it. They really amped up the difficulty on this one. Never did find a PS version.

IMG_2727.jpeg

Probably my favorite on PC. Finished it once on PC. Never got past first level on PS.

IMG_2728.jpeg

My PC at the time didn't meet the requirements for this one. By the time I got it on PS, I had no nostalgia for it and just couldn't get into it.

IMG_2729.jpeg

This game is just a big mess. Totally unplayable.

IMG_2730.jpeg

I had Legend on Gamecube, Anniversary on Wii and Underworld on PS3. I guess I must've sold them to Disc Replay or something when I got this, because I can't seem to find them. I've beaten Legend and Anniversary on the original system and on this collection. Underworld I've only beaten once.

IMG_2733.jpeg

Beat it once.

IMG_2732.jpeg

Beat it once.

I also had a Game Boy Advance game I got off ebay. Don't know what happened to it. Never finished it.

I got Shadow of the Tomb Raider thanks to PS+. No picture since it's digital. Couldn't get into it.

I also got Guardian of Light on (I think) PS3. Also digital so no pictures. I played it quite a bit but I don't recall actually finishing it.

I'm debating getting the upcoming collection for PS5. Like I said before, the grid based movement of the originals is so annoying that I'm not sure if I can get into it again. I also dread whether or not they'll have save any time like PC or save crystals like PS. But with no way for me to play TR3 at the moment, it would be nice to give it a try.

Caldwin

Citizen
Welp! I went and did it. I preordered the remasters for PS5.

I hope they have save states. But even if they go with save crystals (though I really hope they don't), it's still my only way to play TR III (since I don't have a PC to run my copy) and I'd be no worse off than I am with just my PS 1 versions for 1 and 2.

So now it's just a waiting game.

Caldwin

Citizen
I needed a break from Baldur's Gate and was able to het Tomb Raider 2013 Definitive Edition via PS+. I beat it in two days.

I was surprised when I got to the end. I mean, sure I did very little of the side stuff and played on easy level no less. Even still...two days!

It was also no where near as high-blood-pressure inducing as it was the first time around. I think I must have been desensitized by Uncharted's unrelenting escape sequences and Mortal Kombat 9-11's viscera.

Caldwin

Citizen
So the Remasters are out tomorrow, so I'm gonna bump this back to the first page.

I saw a couple YouTube videos that showed you can still play the authentic tank on a grid control system or there's a new updated system. It might be worth checking out.

Unfortunately, I did see some save crystals. This is fine if it's also backed by save states. I was just really hoping they would go with PC save anywhere system. But again, if they do save states, it could be best of both worlds.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Digital Foundry posted a tech breakdown. I do disagree on the jank in the Classic Graphics mode, the 30 fps and odd frame pacing I think is more accurate to the original, unrefined, games. I'll be sad if/when that gets patched.

Caldwin

Citizen
*sigh*

That feeling when a preorder becomes live last night after you went to bed and now you're at work and can't play until evening.

😭

wentwood

Citizen
I took a refresher from playing Tomb Raider I on PC and as I have a PS 2 may finish the game.

Bear in mind this was 22 years ago I played on PC.

I'm on Level 10 for Tomb Raider I.

I only played a bit from each level to refresh my memory.

wentwood

Citizen
Tomb Raider V Chronicles

I set up 5 save file spots for each chapter in the game and may play them in order of difficulty.

Tomb Raider VII Legend

I'm on Level 4 West Africa.

wentwood

Citizen
I have

Tomb Raider I - V Chronicles (PS 1)
Tomb Raider VI The Angel Of Darkness - Tomb Raider IX Under World (PS 2)
Tomb Raider X (PS 3)

Will wait for PC for the Survivor Trilogy but can play the first 9 games on PS 2 so I won't miss any games.

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, so...how do I feel about the Remasters. I...honestly don't know. It's great nostalgia. It's also absolutely infuriating. Like, I have nostalgia for the Original Metroid and have played it many times in recent memory. So I have no problem going back to it even having played recent Metroid games. I have no nostalgia for Pokemon Red. So when I tried to play it on the 3DS virtual console after playing the more recent ones, I couldn't stand it.

Tomb Raider, I do have nostalgia for. But it's 20+ year old nostalgia and I've grown so used to todays games that... I don't know...maybe if I break it down?

First let me say I played the first 3 Tomb Raiders on PC back in the day. I didn't have a Playstation. That means I'm used to arrow buttons (they actually didn't use AWSD until later IIRC) instead of controller and save anywhere instead of save crystals.

SAVE SYSTEM
Thank goodness it's the save anywhere at any time mode of saving instead of save crystals. I'm so glad they didn't do the save crystals. That said, it feels like I got into the habit of save scumming because of this game. There are no auto-saves. There weren't any auto-saves in the originals either. So I don't think I'd even want them here. But for those who are used to today's conveniences, if you haven't save in a couple hours, your game hasn't been saved in a couple hours. Still, I'm just glad they didn't do the save crystals. I would've quit right there.

CAMERA
So, this game was made in the days when camera controls simply were not good. They improve it a lot with the modern look and particularly with modern controls. But to be honest...it still isn't good. The camera will still freak out and clip into walls and not show you where you want to go.

GRAPHICS
Well, I'm sure you've seen the trailers, so I won't spend too much time on this. Even the updated graphics look very polygonal. They pretty much have to do that though because the entire game and its puzzles are built on the whole grid thing. Besides, it adds to the nostalgia and I wouldn't have it any other way. Clean it up, don't change it up. One thing I will count as a negative however is that the new lighting they use can make some places too dark. I'm not sure how that will effect 2 and 3, but with 1 where there aren't any flares to use, it has me switching back to the old graphics just to see things.

CONTROLS
Now here's the big thing. The rest of everything I can totally forgive. But here's where I get the most frustration. I mean, they really tried with the modern control scheme. But like, yeah, I played the originals. Yeah I know they were built around grid-based tank controls. That they even tried putting a modern control scheme is nothing short of amazing. But its like, the graphics you can change between classic and modern at the touch of a button. Controls you can also switch on the fly, but is a little less convenient having to go into the menu to do so. And honestly, there are times you'll want to use tank controls and other times you'll want to use modern controls and I wish you could switch between the two as easily as you control the graphics.

SO WHAT'S MY FINAL GRADE?
Man I wish I knew. Like, everything I have against it is stuff where, honestly if I saw someone else bitching about it, I'd be the first to say that the old controls and old graphics are just like the original game and the new graphics and controls are there to make it more palatable to those who want the more modern take. So get good and stop bitching. And honestly, as frustrated as I got at first...I went right back to it after a short break. I'm sure I'll still be playing it quite a bit in the days to come.

And you know what? If all they did was bring back the originals and did nothing else but give it save states, I still probably would have bought it and been happy with it. So why am I getting so down on the new controls and new graphics, especially when you can switch between the two on a whim?

I don't know. I guess it's like, I was excited about going home all this time and just found out you can never go home again?

Well, I still spent my money on it. So I'm still going to play it. And there is nostalgic bit of me that is glad to be going back to Tomb Raiders roots after the grim and joyless survivor series.

Final Grade? I'm frustrated, but I'm even more frustrated that I'm frustrated. I'm still going to play it and I think it's amazing that we have it. I don't think anyone who's used to todays games would enjoy it at all just like I had no enjoyment with Pokemon Red. But for those who have the nostalgia for it...well...it's worth a shot.

3 1/2 stars out of 5

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I’m probably not going to get the collection until it hits a sale (what can I say? I’m a cheap ass and I know that Aspyr will run have it on sale at some point).
But in terms of the frustration in going back? I DO get that.

As I’ve tried to go back and play assorted PS1 games I’ve gotten over the years…that era, as a whole, has just NOT aged well. Be it graphics or gameplay. As a N64 kid, my “3D transition” was probably smoother than if my family had gotten a Playstation or Saturn. But I think it took a good “generation” to really grasp that transition from 2D sprite based games to full 3D games (especially on a multiplatform basis).
And, sad to say, a LOT of the acclaimed titles of that era were…just not that great. Or at least not as great as our memories might let us believe. Tomb Raider might well be among that number, where the fancy graphics and newness of the full 3D worlds helped overshadow fundamental gameplay issues. It’s akin to how everyone (at the time) lauded Toshinden as this amazing fighter (“Better than Virtua Fighter!”)…only for the novelty to wear off after a couple entries, the franchise sputtered out after just a few years, and people looking back wonder how anyone could have considered the game “good” at all.

Again, not going to say Tomb Raider was “bad” (still haven’t gotten around to play any of the first few titles aside from a Dreamcast demo for part 4, which I found clunky AF in 2000), but maybe it was a little rougher around the edges than people remembered/realized at the time?

wentwood

Citizen
Playing on PS 2 as the keyboard is clunky and I can use a controller.

I did play Tomb Raider I on PC up to Level 10

Following level update

Tomb Raider I
Level 10

Tomb Raider II
Level 1

Tomb Raider III
Will skip the first 4 levels and then play sections in order of difficulty

Tomb Raider IV The Last Revelation
Level 1

Tomb Raider V Chronicles
Set up save files for each story of the game so can play them in order of difficulty.

Tomb Raider VI The Angel Of Darkness
Level 2

Tomb Raider VII Legend
Area 4 West Africa

Tomb Raider VIII Anniversary
Area 3

Tomb Raider IX Under World
Area 2

Tomb Raider X
Starting

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
I bought all 10 Tomb Raider games on eBay.

I guinea pigged backwards compatibile with Final Fantasy IX.

I can play the PS 1 era on PS 2 so can play up to Under World.

What matters is that I haven't missed any games in the series. Even if I don't finish the games I will have had a chance to play them so nothing gets skipped.

I haven't played

Tomb Raider XI Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider XII Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
Lara Croft I and II (The mobile games)
The Prophecy (Game Boy Advance)
Curse Of The Sword ( Game Boy Color)

yet.

Caldwin

Citizen
I've waited a long time for this. It's morally imperative that these be posted.

wentwood

Citizen
For Tomb Raider I - IX I feel a game a year is too rushed.

There was the one year skip to switch to the Play Station 2 for Tomb Raider VI The Angel Of Darkness. Another skip and back to game a year for Tomb Raider VII - IX

There's no feness or polish. It seems they were just cranking games out.

I would have preferred a little more time in between games.

As for the games they seem to get harder with each one.

wentwood

Citizen
Tomb Raider X - XII (Survivor Trilogy)

For this group the games feel more polished and have a more reel world look to it.

As for the game play -

Starting with the PS 2 it felt like they were showing off what the system can do with all the rediculous jumps and what not.

With the Tomb Raider Survivor Trilogy it felt more like James Bond and Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible.

wentwood

Citizen
Tomb Raider X - XII

I got this trilogy as a give away from Epic Games store so I need to see if these can be played off line.

I will rotate out as I play each game to save space.

Epic Games now needs wi
fi connection darn it.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
Tomb Raider III

Iset up the key and extra health packs.

The reason is that when you're under water so you have time to pull a lever and get to a place to surface.

Other wise I don't use codes.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'm afraid I'm done with the Remasters. I really wanted to at least see the first game through to completion. But these games were hard back when I was comfortable with the controls. I'm afraid now I'm beating my head into a brick wall here.

May do some Croft Manor stuff or even beat my head against the wall every once in a while to see if something shakes loose. But with all the other games I'm working on, on is going to be on the back burner for now.

Top Bottom