This is terrifying

Ryougabot

Citizen
School just started here and there was an odd memo to all the teachers.
"All books in the classrooms on the attached list (provided by the state government) must be brought to the library to be collected for disposal. It is the view of this district that children not be exposed to misinformation."

So let me get this straight, the Democratic government of this state is actually having "book burnings" in one hand, and telling kids the dangers of Fascism in the other.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Doesn't sound like a state mandated list, but a municipal directive given the phrasing.

I am curious as to the books on the list and the location, though.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I try pretty hard to not give away where I live, (not the same place as Ryougabot, as far as I know) but a district somewhere near me has been in the news over banning books. Rumor has it the English teachers had to submit some sort of "transparency document" this fall, too, showing what books would be used in the classroom. On one hand, that's a way to let board members and admin know what's being studied in advance, but on the other hand, it shows a frightening lack of trust and support for those teachers. Especially since books they use in class are already part of a carefully planned (and vetted) curriculum.

In Ryougabot's case, I'm curious about what's on the list, as well as what's the other side of the argument. Is this a knee-jerk overreaction to something from Fox news, did a couple of very vocal parents stir things up, or is there a legit reason to pull any of these books from the class?

Ryougabot

Citizen
I try pretty hard to not give away where I live, (not the same place as Ryougabot, as far as I know) but a district somewhere near me has been in the news over banning books. Rumor has it the English teachers had to submit some sort of "transparency document" this fall, too, showing what books would be used in the classroom. On one hand, that's a way to let board members and admin know what's being studied in advance, but on the other hand, it shows a frightening lack of trust and support for those teachers. Especially since books they use in class are already part of a carefully planned (and vetted) curriculum.

In Ryougabot's case, I'm curious about what's on the list, as well as what's the other side of the argument. Is this a knee-jerk overreaction to something from Fox news, did a couple of very vocal parents stir things up, or is there a legit reason to pull any of these books from the class?
I have tried. They will not give it to me, "We don't want parents interfering in an internal school affair before it is over"

NovaSaber

Citizen
"Don't used these books as teaching materials" is a completely normal thing for education standards to include, not a prelude to banning books.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
"Don't used these books as teaching materials" is a completely normal thing for education standards to include, not a prelude to banning books.
But is also almost always attached to both banning books and extremist governments and ideology. Can't have all those little kids thinking differently, now can we?

Top Bottom