The Repaint Concept Thread

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
Given the current discussion could someone do Legacy Sandstorm in MW colors?

I'm trying to think of a hypothetical MW Optimus Botcon could have done and I'm kinda coming up blank, other then (if they could have got the mold) Prime Ultra Magnus. Or instead of Optimus they could have done an older Rodimus from I guess a Prime Optimus or UM.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Honestly, I thought Strika and Obsidian were the best additions to the set; the characters were meant to be great generals, but were unknown up until their appearance in Beast Machines. Why not make Machine Wars the campaign where they came to prominence?
I'm not against these toys existing, and the characters were absolutely well-used in the narrative (which I've been consistently saying I also liked). But the tradeoff inevitably is that about half the set is now no longer on theme (not counting how these characters are retroactively placed in MW), which would have been one of the strengths of that year's offering. It's like making a Victory themed set and putting Animated Sentinel Prime and Elita in there.

Making them attendee exclusives would have increased the headache of getting them (and so I don't ENTIRELY mind they were in the set), but would have at least allowed the box set to be less diluted. (I guess a big part of it is they just plain outshine the others in terms of execution.) They would also have been perfect for the subscription service, but were a good bit before it.

Tbh, I do wish we'd get more of these sorts of redecos/retools today. Shame Selects appears to have run its course, but the capsules could probably pick up the slack.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
While that's true, it's seemingly the only one on the horizon, and exists to catch a batch of stuff that may have been too late to cancel outright. Idk.

I mean, I'd LOVE to see it continue, but we're a pretty long way from the somewhat steady stream of releases from the first 2-3 years or so.

(And it's been a hell of a run, with not one but TWO Titan class figures in it, wow.)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
We still haven't seen or heard about the releases of Fractyl and Packrat yet, who were both in the same big leak from awhile ago that first revealed the existence of Antagony, and she ended up being a Selects release. It'd make sense for the similar former BotCon 3H exclusives Fractyl and Packrat to follow suit as Selects.

Last edited:

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
We still haven't seen or heard about the releases of Glyph and Tap-Out yet, who were both in the same big leak from awhile ago that first revealed the existence of Antagony, and she ended up being a Selects release. It'd make sense for the similar former BotCon 3H exclusives Glyph and Tap-Out to follow suit as Selects.
To say nothing of Packrat.

GXE18

Citizen

WFC-E Battle Damaged Optimus Prime​

Damaged Optimus.png

SG_Roadbuster

Citizen
Given the current discussion could someone do Legacy Sandstorm in MW colors?

I'm trying to think of a hypothetical MW Optimus Botcon could have done and I'm kinda coming up blank, other then (if they could have got the mold) Prime Ultra Magnus. Or instead of Optimus they could have done an older Rodimus from I guess a Prime Optimus or UM.
I'm not against these toys existing, and the characters were absolutely well-used in the narrative (which I've been consistently saying I also liked). But the tradeoff inevitably is that about half the set is now no longer on theme (not counting how these characters are retroactively placed in MW), which would have been one of the strengths of that year's offering. It's like making a Victory themed set and putting Animated Sentinel Prime and Elita in there.

Making them attendee exclusives would have increased the headache of getting them (and so I don't ENTIRELY mind they were in the set), but would have at least allowed the box set to be less diluted. (I guess a big part of it is they just plain outshine the others in terms of execution.) They would also have been perfect for the subscription service, but were a good bit before it.

Tbh, I do wish we'd get more of these sorts of redecos/retools today. Shame Selects appears to have run its course, but the capsules could probably pick up the slack.

Strika and Obsidian should have been club store exclusives, Strika as the 2013 Incentive freebie. Obsidian and the club store exclusive with the fancy box that has a cutout for Strika.

replace the Rainmakers with Prowl and Hubcap
Optimus and Soundwave in the boxset to replace strika and obsidian.
if the Cybertronin defense red alert tooling isnt available for MW Soundwave, then use RTS Perceptor
MW Optimus could maybe work as a Beast Hunters Optimus redeco?
that leaves Megatron out in the cold, but maybe he could also be a club store boxed figure?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
You still gotta find a place for Depth Charge, who was the actual incentive freebie that year.

There also tended to be a dividing line between the BotCon exclusives and the club store exclusives when it came to their appearances in the fiction. The former were more advertised by the magazine comics, while the latter we're featured in the convention comics. So making Strika and Obsidian club exclusives kinda falls outside of that.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
You know what? I'm going to defend the Club's release of Electro instead of Hubcap.

Aside from obvious things like the Kup mold makes a terrible tow truck, but a better...whatever Electro was, Hubcap was a nothing character with his bio being the only thing to latch on to (which the fiction did nothing with, and I really don't think anyone would've cared about Hubcap if we got him (People aren't treasuring their MW Hoists).

No, the key reason why I think FunPub went with Electro is that 90's Hubcaps still function.

Bonus hot take:
MW Mirage is my G2 Mirage. not that purple and green thing.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
People aren't particularly strident in treasuring MW Hoist, but that's as much because people aren't particularly strident in treasuring MW in general. I think it's less about people having a particular attachment to Hubcap or Hoist and more that, again, it's yet another notch in the "we're making a Machine Wars batch this year that's only about half actual Machine Wars stuff" column (after the Welcoming Committee, Blastcharge, and the Vehicon generals).

I do really dig how Electrons turned out though, except for the execution of the chest deco. And he does have the benefit of retroactively fitting right in with the Botcon 2010 stuff. (That's a much stronger set, although I'm less fond of the Streetwise and Breakdown inclusions in it.)

Still, to go back to the original original point... wow, if Hasbro really threw their weight behind capsules that specifically revisited this theme, it would be a fun time.

Top Bottom