The Orville

Axaday

Citizen
Btw, I assumed that Data from Next Gen is manufactured in abundance so it was weird to find out (in the s1 Lore episode) that he is practically unique.

Since Isaac of the Orville is from a planet of machine intelligence, I guess the Orville-verse has more advanced technology in that respect compared to Star Trek. Even Star Wars (since they have C3PO and such).

Such a weird thing to find out. Sorta.

Humans didn't build Isaac and his planet. They were built long ago by someone else. Star Trek likewise found a few intelligent robots built by someone else.

Dake

Citizen
Finally watching the third season and considering all the problems with Topa why doesn't Klyden tell her that he was born female too. Feels like it could have saved some trouble.

That's the crux of the conflict. Klyden feels shame about having been born female and wants to "spare" Topa that shame (it also brings shame on the parents for birthing a female). Of course, the shame was entirely societal and Topa would've been welcomed as herself outside of their culture, but Klyden has always chafed against what he perceived as Bortus' homogenization of their culture. Ultimately, to admit to having been female at all Klyden would have to also admit to himself that being forcibly transitioned doesn't solve all one's problems.

I guess the Orville-verse has more advanced technology in that respect compared to Star Trek. Even Star Wars (since they have C3PO and such).

We've seen numerous species in Star Trek with tech more advanced than the Federation. That's nothing new.

Star Wars has always been more fantasy with a sci-fi flair. There's been very little technological advancement in that galaxy for millennia.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Humans didn't build Isaac and his planet. They were built long ago by someone else. Star Trek likewise found a few intelligent robots built by someone else.

Oh, I didn't really mean the earthlings / humans' level of AI technology but the Trek universe in general. I would have thought robots would be common place in a scifi show.

(I remember, now, the small machine Peanut Hamper from Lower Decks being a big deal but she turned selfish. I looked her up before and she came from a single Next Gen ep, which I haven't reached yet).

Btw, now that I've been encountering Trek alien races that are new to me, the close analog races are:

Alara's race = DS9 Bajorans
Isaac's race = Borg?
Bortus' race = Vulcan

Trill = Romulans

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The key difference between isaac and data is that data was a purposeful attempt at creating machine life... that wasn't psychopathic and narcissistic. Isaac's species was built as a commercial product and life emerged there.

Axaday

Citizen
I think Bortus’ race and Krill are both pretty analogous to Klingons in different ways.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah - there really aren't direct analogs. They're all combos of various ST species.

LiamA

Citizen
Oh, I didn't really mean the earthlings / humans' level of AI technology but the Trek universe in general. I would have thought robots would be common place in a scifi show.

(I remember, now, the small machine Peanut Hamper from Lower Decks being a big deal but she turned selfish. I looked her up before and she came from a single Next Gen ep, which I haven't reached yet).

Btw, now that I've been encountering Trek alien races that are new to me, the close analog races are:

Alara's race = DS9 Bajorans
Isaac's race = Borg?
Bortus' race = Vulcan

Trill = Romulans

I would say Isaac's race could also be the Founders. Two species hurt in the past going to the extreme measures of never being hurt again.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I would say Isaac's race could also be the Founders. Two species hurt in the past going to the extreme measures of never being hurt again.
Oooooo, I LUV that idea! Holy cow, that's a much better analog than the Borg! Makes both races sympathetic. Helps that Isaac and Odo are one of my favorite characters, hehe

Other Orville races or copies that I remember would be

Q to... whatever that nightmare race.

Gorn to... that viral, alien / mutation race.

Betazoid to... whatever that blue alien Rob Lowe was, except they inflict emotions.

Hey, were there Ferengi type aliens in Orville?

Dvandom

Citizen
Isaac's race has a more direct Trek analogue in the androids Roger Korby discovered, if you want the sinister aspects, or the Mudd's Planet androids if you prefer a more light-hearted view (e.g. no caverns full of the skeletons of the creators).

---Dave

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Isaac's race has a more direct Trek analogue in the androids Roger Korby discovered, if you want the sinister aspects, or the Mudd's Planet androids if you prefer a more light-hearted view (e.g. no caverns full of the skeletons of the creators).

---Dave
That we know of dvandom. That we know of.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
The interviews should be around but if Adrianne Palicki is out for sure then the double captains deal on the Orville is over.

I doubt Seth McFarlane could work on a season 4 if he's focusing on his new Ted show.

If the other case members have moved on, then Orville is likely over.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I mean... the nature of large scale sci-fi universes is that you can just, you know, follow other people and places.

Granted, it would be pretty stupid to follow some new ship, while still calling the show "the orville".

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean... the nature of large scale sci-fi universes is that you can just, you know, follow other people and places.

Granted, it would be pretty stupid to follow some new ship, while still calling the show "the orville".
Follow its sister ship, the Wilbur.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Or just pick up a few years later. Ed is now an Admiral, and we get a mostly-new crew, with maybe LaMarr and Malloy as the new Captain and XO.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Malloy as a first officer would be an interesting stor arc. On one hand it's hardly in character at all, but on the other, he came across as really professional in his third season test pilot job.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
It fits with the characters stated intentions. He wanted to move up in rank, become a captain... granted, for a the wrong reasons, but it was something he wanted. And it's a process, so he would have to be an XO eventually.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Yeah, Gordon's done a lot of maturing in the last season. He seems like someone who was a slacker because he never had to be serious. Once the pressure was on, he had something worth acting like an adult for.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Between the war and a couple of close calls, he kinda just... grew up. His raw talent alone wasn't enough for him anymore.

Top Bottom