The Marvels

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I saw it. Super awesome mid credits scene that MUST BE WATCHED, omg! But nothing at the end of the credits except Goose meowing so no need to stay for that. Weird tho cuz I was expecting a 'Captain Marvel etc will return', the way Peter Quill had in Guardians 3.

Anyhow, I liked it a lot. A lot better than Blue Beetle anyway. There's that idea that kid characters shoved in adult work whatever is to be hated but I kinda loved Kamala's hero worship cuz, hex, I would love to get superpowers and meet whichever hero is around during my misadventure. Her fangirling doesn't last long but I love that she stepped up.

Funny but Carol Danvers is a bit of a non character for me. Her story arc there is too little, too late. But I guess it's credit to her that she didn't have the usual dumb 'you're a kid, you can't handle it' idea. Nope, Kamala was treated with respect, after a bit.

Monica didn't get her power set defined, boo. She said she sees spectrums of light and can absorb light. Didn't explain how she can phase through things tho.

I forget but did the bad lady actually introduce herself to the others?

Goose! I was so happy when they showed that she isn't really that much of a bloodthirsty, people eating monster, whew! Loved it.

Story wise, first act was messy in terms of the switching because it feels like they cut scenes out. Like, Kamala was in space, then probably had a talk with Fury that we didn't see then she's home again? Carol Danvers also traveling at lightspeed or whatever made distances from the switching feel weird.

Second act was the villain plot, which I rather liked. Won't say. There's music I wasn't into that was used for a scene that I liked a lot but I can't think of what song could have been used. There was culture shown and, wow, they really could have pushed that part more. Would have rocked.

Third arc is resolution. Still some nice action. The secondary twist was soooooo cool / bad but it pleased me to no end. Ending stuff, along with the mid credit scene is aaaaaawesome so hope they follow up on that soon.

Anyhow, me liking the movie is probably more for being familiar with Kamala and Monica in the Disney series and also the ending stuff. But I'd say watch it. It's better than Beetle and Quantumania.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I have to say I came out of this one really enjoying it. Although I've liked most of the MCU films since Phase 3 ended, the majority of them never really seemed to quite recapture the magic the first 3 phases (not to say there wasn't a light smattering of mediocre stories during those years, too).

Fero's also quite right that the mid-credits scene is NOT TO BE MISSED. That scene is the kind of fun I love in my Marvel flicks.

Iman Velanni was the star of the show here. I had a ton of fun with this movie. It was shot and paced really brisk.

Her fangirling over Carol (and Nick Fury impression while recruiting her own team at the end) was very cute, and I liked that the movie also gave her family something to do. I don't know what Marvel has planned for the future, but I hope she's included in future films and gets a follow-up season on Disney+. She was definitely this film's secret weapon, and added a lot of energy and fun to the story.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I saw Marvels a second time and, argh, I took a bathroom break and missed the part I wanted to see again the most! I was gone for just a minute or so and I missed the escape plan scene, darn!

Anyway, rewatching it made me realize what scenes were missing at the first part. It was parts of the switching out. When did Monica switch back to the space suit from Kamala? I missed that reaction. I thought Fury got Kamala from the suit and sent her down to earth.

On Monica's powers, during the living room fight, she threw guy, phased thru him then attacked him from the other side. Didn't she fly there? She hadn't learned that trick yet.

Also, Kamala in the comics can't fly, right?

Edit - I expected Nebula since she has the location and did say that was her purpose at the end of Guardians 3.

Last edited:

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I'm not sure this one can be attributed to the anti-women crowd... according to stats, a higher percentage of the moviegoers seeing this are men, not women. Most of the middle-of-the-road reviews I've read, and even a few of the negative ones, also tend to mention how Iman's Ms. Marvel was a bright spot in the film. If this were the "anti-woke" sentiment or whatever, that certainly wouldn't be the case.

Moreso, this just seems to be part of a general malaise that's settled over the MCU post-Phase 3. A lot of people out there decided they were "done" with the MCU after Endgame (or FFH), thinking nothing could ever reach those heights again. I've also seen numerous posts from real hardcore comic nerd types that don't like how the films are deviating from the source material. There are also people who are just diametrically opposed to Disney, and think they're ruining the film industry by forcing out smaller players. These people are eager to see the MCU fail, as it's an indicator of Disney's overall power. There also seem to be those who've been citing "superhero fatigue" for so long now, they seem to be taking it personally that it hasn't really happened to the degree that they expected or wanted. In short, there are a lot of bitter and/or miserable people out there that can't seem to just sit down and enjoy a fun movie for fun, for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Marvels' mid credits scene hints at the potential for MCU to reach those Infinity War Endgame heights again. Cuz, c'moooon! Hehe.

People seeing Deadpool 3 might backtrack to see Marvels. Maybe.

Madame Web, Kraven and Venom 3 are all under Sony movies for 2024 (and all kinda related to Spider-Man) so Deadpool is the only viable MCU vehicle for 2024.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Marvels' mid credits scene hints at the potential for MCU to reach those Infinity War Endgame heights again. Cuz, c'moooon! Hehe.

For sure; that's what got me so excited about it.

But I think a lot of people forget, after Infinity War and Endgame, that not every movie needs to be a big event movie. Sometimes it's nice to tell a smaller story, with less characters. And Marvel can do that, too, when they want to. Despite being a team up film (and involving a cosmic-level superhero) this was more of a smaller story.

The post-COVID box office seems very fickle... a few movies here and there are able to make big money like in pre-COVID times, but it seems to take something really special for it to happen. Disney needs to learn to make the average MCU flick without blowing $200 million every time. The Marvels is going to be remembered as one of the MCU's biggest box office failures, which is a shame. But it also didn't need to cost half of what it did.

Hell, look what The Creator managed to do with a mere $80 million budget.

Top Bottom