THE GARFIELD MOVIE - Coming This Summer...

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I gotta admit, if ever a good Garfield project were to be made in this day and age, this is very close to what I would expect it to be like.

Pratt may feel overused as an actor nowadays, but his voice does fit Garfield along the same vein as Bill Murray's voice did. He's got that monotone drawl that Lorenzo Music made Garfield famous for, and which both Murray and Frank Welker continued with for their respective takes on the character.

I actually left at the pizza parlor scene at the beginning of the trailer and, from what little we can see of it in the trailer, the relationship between Jon and Garfield does seem quite charming and endearing in all the right ways, with Jon showing genuine affection towards Garfield while also getting annoyed by his excessive eating habits, as should be the norm for any Garfield project.

If nothing else, this seems to be righting the wrongs made by the live-action movies of the 2000s, which, aside from Garfield himself, featured Garfield characters who were those characters in name only. This looks vastly more faithful to the source material than we could have ever hoped it to have been. I wouldn't expect it, but a cameo appearance by any of the U.S. Acres characters would be a nice surprise.

For now, I'm not worrying too much about this one. It looks like a step in the right direction. Though, I am a little disappointed that Gregg Berger isn't still voicing Odie, since it sounded on awful lot like him in the trailer, but he's being voiced by someone else instead. It would have been nice for them to have kept at least one of the classic Garfield voice actors in this. Do we know whose voicing Jon, yet?

Axaday

Citizen
It probably isn't for me. But I think it CAN use a fresh take every generation.

Garfield started on my mom's birthday in the year I was born. She was very pleased to share his birthday every year and he's one of the main things I drew as a child.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I detail my thoughts on the trailer here. (It's a little long for a forum post.)

Though, I am a little disappointed that Gregg Berger isn't still voicing Odie, since it sounded on awful lot like him in the trailer, but he's being voiced by someone else instead.
Huh, really? I thought it didn't sound like him in the trailer. I share the disappointment, in any case.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They're just determined to shoehorn Chris Pratt into everything now, aren't they. He's like the Nolan North of movies.

Coincidentally, Nolan North could probably do an excellent Garfield voice. I remember hearing an interview with him once, just talking in his normal voice, and once or twice he suddenly sounded like Lorenzo Music to me. It was weird. Pretty sure he'd have to join the union and be locked out of doing video game voices forever to be in a movie though.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Combined budget of the live action Garfield films: ~$110 million.
Box Office Gross? ~$311 million (and that doesn’t count ancillary revenue)
They're just determined to shoehorn Chris Pratt into everything now, aren't they. He's like the Nolan North of movies.

Coincidentally, Nolan North could probably do an excellent Garfield voice. I remember hearing an interview with him once, just talking in his normal voice, and once or twice he suddenly sounded like Lorenzo Music to me. It was weird. Pretty sure he'd have to join the union and be locked out of doing video game voices forever to be in a movie though.
He IS part of the union. He has had a steady stream of live action roles (however minor) for years as well as bouncing between animation and video game voice work. But Nolan North isn’t as big a name as Chris Pratt.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay, let's be real here. I don't think that we would have as much of a problem with Pratt as Garfield if they didn't try to shoehorn him into the Mario role this summer. Pratt does a decent job with Garfield in the trailer, and I am looking forward to seeing this with the family when it pops up on streaming.

Axaday

Citizen
Okay, let's be real here. I don't think that we would have as much of a problem with Pratt as Garfield if they didn't try to shoehorn him into the Mario role this summer. Pratt does a decent job with Garfield in the trailer, and I am looking forward to seeing this with the family when it pops up on streaming.
Sort of. It is overexposure in general that people are talking about, right?

I have never seen Chris Pratt in anything he didn't do well. He was a good Mario. It just kinda seems like he is doing all the jobs nowadays...

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
He's just using his normal voice here. I frankly can't read any of the comics and hear any of the lines in that voice.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Lorenzo Music is for you. This is for another generation that won't hear Lorenzo Music when they read it.
I mean, no one from "this generation" has ever picked up a newspaper in the first place, and certainly wasn't around when the comic was still funny. Garfield is already being foisted upon them by old geezers with outdated ideas of what IPs are worth a damn.

Axaday

Citizen
I mean, no one from "this generation" has ever picked up a newspaper in the first place, and certainly wasn't around when the comic was still funny. Garfield is already being foisted upon them by old geezers with outdated ideas of what IPs are worth a damn.
Well, you aren't wrong. But is it more reason to let Garfield detach from "Garfield in the Rough" and "Garfield and Friends"? "This Generation" WILL watch a movie.

I'm 45. Whatever generation I am from, I never read a newspaper. I only read the comics and glanced at the obituaries. The newspaper in my city stopped printing comics a few years ago. I haven't touched one in over a decade.

Top Bottom