The 2022 Midterms Thread

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*little* early to get this going, but why not. What do you think is going to happen in the upcoming November 2022 midterm elections?

History tells us to expect Republican gains. Recent history (the fall of Roe v Wade) leads one to believe that might not be the case. Who knows.

Me? I'm going to predict some sort of weird tie where we at least hold the Senate. The crop of GOP Senate candidates are just so bad that maybe, just maybe, we can hold on.

Anyway make your predictions and let's look back in November and see who was right!

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I think the Senate stays with the democrats, the house, though, will likely fall to the Republicans, unless something radically changes

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If we're lucky, the various investigations going on will disqualify a pile of right wingers from holding office.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It depends. Does gas keep going down between now and then, or does it bounce back up to where it was this summer? Do food prices start to go down or do they keep going to the moon? Democrats will at least keep the Senate if it feels like we've been through the worst of it. If November comes and it feels like everything is horrible, nothing else is going to matter.

NovaSaber

Citizen
What's at stake, and why some often-overlooked elections are important:

In Arizona, Mark Finchem, a prominent election denier who said he would not have certified Joe Biden’s victory in the state, is now the Republican nominee for secretary of state in Arizona. In Michigan, Kristina Karamo, who baselessly claimed to have witnessed voter fraud as an election observer in 2020, is the Republican party’s choice to be the state’s chief election official. And in Pennsylvania, where the governor appoints the secretary of state, the Republican gubernatorial nominee is Doug Mastriano, a far-right lawmaker who led the brazen attempt to reverse Biden’s victory in his state and chartered buses to the rally that preceded the Capitol riot.

Ungnome

Citizen
Yup, local and state elections matter(probably MORE than the national elections, in many ways) I don't have much hope of changing things locally here(DEEP red alcove of a blue state) but I'm gonna try. Thankfully Cox is trailing Moore substantially for the Governors race, so I don't have much to worry about there. Not so sure on the current polling for the AG race, but I will be voting for Brown.

Paladin

Citizen

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Wait, Alaska has ranked-choice ballots? Since when? How did I miss that?

Ungnome

Citizen
this year, apparently, at least for the general elections. Wish more states would implement it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So that's two now, unless there are more that I missed. At exact opposite ends of the country, funnily enough, which makes it easy to remember at least.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Wonder Woman has spoken:

a8OQ7Rsh.jpg

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So with under 40 days to go to the election I still think we're looking at some hellish 50/50 electoral split where we barely lose the House, and barely keep the Senate just due to how terrible the GOP candidates are. So get out and vote and prove me wrong. And god help us all if we lose in a blowout.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
There is a real possibility that this year's midterm election will go down in history as the day that America decided tax cuts are more important than democracy.

Someday, they might say "2022 was the year that America changed its mind from 'no taxation without representation' to 'no taxation and no representation'".

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I think we're going to see a lot of nut jobs get state positions that give them the ability to screw with votes in the future. I also see them getting into a lot of trouble when they try that will result in many of them facing criminal charges, but the damage will be done.
As far as Congress, I'm not willing to take a stake right now. We typically see the opposition party come back in a big way, but the GOP has pissed off a ton of people lately. Their candidates are, frankly, shit. And SCOTUS has lit a fire that I'm sure Mitch really didn't want.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
The people who say they don't care if Herschel Walker is a murderer are the same people who wondered aloud for years how anybody could have voted for Adolf Hitler in 1933.

And yes, they are saying that they don't care if he is a murderer. Follow the bouncing dot: in their minds, abortion is murder, yet they still say they don't care if he paid for an abortion. They are literally saying that they're OK with him being a murderer.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
30 days until the election. Eep.

Following the generic ballot we're running a point ahead. Polls have been tending to underestimate the GOP vote. As of now I'm still expecting some hellish 50/50 split where the GOP barely takes the House and the Democrats barely keep the Senate. What do you all think?

Ungnome

Citizen
That sounds like the most probable result. Still better than the Republicans getting both houses, but just barely.

Top Bottom