TFcon Orlando 2023: October 20 - 22

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So, having been going to BotCon since 2010 but never TFCon, this will be my first one. What all should I know beforehand about what's makes TFCon different from BotCon (especially since BotCon is no longer official and now permits the selling of third-party toys like TFCon does)?

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
For starters, TFCon don't get high on their own farts like botcon did.

Registration isn't tied to con-exclusive toys. $55 gets you in for the weekend. That's it! No extensive list of add-ons other than shirts and pins, and the customizing class. There IS a "Premium" admission that lets you purchase the con exclusives on Friday before the dealer room opens Saturday.

Admission does not include a badge. Only staff and guests get a badge. Every time I go I ask about badges as an add-on "commemorative trinket", not tied to admission at all.

TFCon locations tend to be more closer to an airport than closer to attractions like botcon. So while there is stuff to do in the area, you'll have to go a bit outta the way.

BIG Third Party presence. 3P companies have a presence, and show sponsors like The Chosen Prime, Ages 3 and Up, etc set up the HUGE display. A WALL of lighted glass cabinets showcasing current and future offerings from Third Parties and Official high-end merch like Masterpieces and statues.

Room-to-room shopping Fri/Sat night happens.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Aside from the cheaper registration price, it doesn't sound that much different from how BotCon is now.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Question. Looking at the schedule, I see panels that are happening on Friday night, but it also looks like only Premium ticket holders have registration pick up that night? If so, then does that mean Weekend pass holders have to wait until Saturday morning before being allowed into the events and are thus not eligible to go to the Friday night panels?

I went with the Weekend pass as recommended here, but I was hoping to still be able to do the Friday night events too.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
@Sabrblade You can! The "Advance Ticket Registration" (5p-8p) is when we Weekend pass holders check in and get our arm band. You won't miss the friday panels if you're not Premium.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
@Sabrblade You can! The "Advance Ticket Registration" (5p-8p) is when we Weekend pass holders check in and get our arm band. You won't miss the friday panels if you're not Premium.
Ah, that explains it. The schedule made it look like that was mainly for people who hadn't yet registered ahead of time at all and wanted to do so in person, since it also placed the Premium pickup time after that which seemed unusual for the ticket level that would get folks the most advanced perks.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Quick request for anyone that is attending, can you get some pics of Nonnef's booth? Supposed to be revealing a line of 3" figures and accessories based on Dino Riders, Exo-Squad, Battle beasts, various Transformers Nebulon types, etc.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ping me if you find a Grandus for sale.

I can't afford it, but I'd like to see the pictures at least.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Was going to try and sell some of those Legacy Cosmos I got from Nevermore, but the timing of the Velocitron toys showing up at Ross makes my post on the room board hella sus.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Here's what this year's custom class options were:

20231022_115654.jpg

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
For my first Transformers con, it was alright. I had a tight budget and not much I was really looking for. Unfortunately most of what I was looking for was gone or waaaay too expensive (Titans Return Misfire and Legacy Cosmos)

Getting to see the dealer's room was fun, also seeing stuff I wouldn't normally get to see, like Haslab Unicron and Yolopart Optimus Prime and Primal. Tho it seemed some customizers were there that mustve slipped under my radar. The guy that does those 3d printed Animated Constructicons was apparently there, but I didnt see him. I walked past TJ Omega in artists alley, but he was talking with a friend and I didnt want to interrupt him.

Got to say hi to Garry Chalk and David Sobolov, also Alex Milne (finally know how to say his last name!). A buddy got a signed print from Bob Budianski. Got some art from Sara Pitre-Durocher for a friend who REALLY likes Starscream.

The costume contest was amusing, but that Waspinator got robbed!

I attended Aaron Archer's panel which was really interesting. Tho, surprisingly it was weird hearing him openly dislike the packaging artwork for the original Transmetal2 Megatron and flat out throw all of Dreamwave under the bus (said they hired Marcello Matere specifically cuz DW was "failing us")

Top Bottom