Superhero without secret identity?

Axaday

Citizen
The Tick and Arthur could be examples, but they are played for laughs. Black Widow perhaps?

I'd be really interested in a story about a meta who just disappears or fakes their death and, with the help of Batman or SHIELD or the like, just doesn't have a secret identity. They just fight bad guys and don't know anyone who isn't another superhero.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Just to make sure I'm understanding the question correctly, you're not just asking about heros whose alter ego isn't a secret (say, Wally West as the Flash... for most of the post-Crisis era), but one who isn't known by any other identity at all (as in your examples of the Tick and Arthur)?

No... I take that back. Black Widow has another identity. It's just not secret.

Carry on....

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
main-qimg-1f9ec0433600c70ecc3725e92e72606c.gif

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Yeah, when you think of it that way, there's really no overlap between what Tony Stark's civilian identity is, and what Superman's human OC offers him, aside from casual wear. And then even in comics, there are definitely a handful of heroes whose superhero costumes are built in so they don't have a casual wear mode - Red Tornado, Vision, Doctor Manhattan.

Axaday

Citizen
I didn't mean clothing. I meant someone who just abandons "civilian" life. Has no job and no attachments except superhero life.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Isn't that the case for those three? And where do you class someone like Martian Manhunter or Aquaman, whose home life is part of the superhero world and not the mundane one?

I'm sure it would depend on who's writing, but does Damian Wayne go to parties with Bruce, does he go to a normal private school? He might be the rare case of a heroic human who qualifies, even if it's partly the fault of his having been raised by a supervillain family. (Plenty of villains that live exclusively in the superheroics world, after all.)

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Fantastic Four are a big one. I don't follow modern comics, really, but from memory of the old ones I used to read, none of the FF really kept a "secret identity." They still answered to their civilian names and wore civilian clothes at times, but there was no separation of those from their hero identities. More like famous musicians who have a stage name that the public typically refers to them by but their real names are well known, too.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
The Fantastic Four are a big one. I don't follow modern comics, really, but from memory of the old ones I used to read, none of the FF really kept a "secret identity." They still answered to their civilian names and wore civilian clothes at times, but there was no separation of those from their hero identities. More like famous musicians who have a stage name that the public typically refers to them by but their real names are well known, too.
Yes, and unlike Silver Age Clark Kent of the Distinguished Competition (to use Stan Lee's term for then), it's not like Ben Grimm could just slap on a hat and glasses and avoid recognition....

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The X-Men also might fall in here, by some of those definitions. None of them really had a "civilian" life seperate from their X-men one - even when they're off the clock they're still dealing with Xavier's school, etc, and even more so if you consider modern comics and that whole mutant nation thing they did.

If you look at the 2099 stuff it's doubly true for the 2099 X-Men actually, as well, given the whole mutant society in that book.

A lot of Cosmic Marvel also should apply, like the various incarnations of the Guardians of the Galaxy, or Beta Ray Bill, just to name a couple.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
A specific variant of not having a secret identity is when there's a specific organization or government involved. The Fantastic Four have often been a nonprofit agency. X-Men have a school. Steve Rogers used to be the guy on the posters to get people to support America. And then there's all the royals. In fact, that's usually where DC picks up most of theirs. Wonder Woman has flip flopped between whether "Diana Prince" is a secret identity or if "Princess Diana of Themyscira" is a full ambassador title. And Aquaman is nearly always the king regardless of what DC's doing with Diana.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Recognizing that Tony Stark's identity as Iron Man isn't secret, he still has a "civilian," non-superheroic part of his life (the post said "no job and no attachments other than to fellow superheroes," and Stark has both). That would be rather different than, say, the X-Men, who connect almost exclusively to each other even in their "off hours" because the bulk of non-superheroic world hates mutants.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Recognizing that Tony Stark's identity as Iron Man isn't secret, he still has a "civilian," non-superheroic part of his life (the post said "no job and no attachments other than to fellow superheroes," and Stark has both). That would be rather different than, say, the X-Men, who connect almost exclusively to each other even in their "off hours" because the bulk of non-superheroic world hates mutants.
And I guess that even someone like Doctor Manhattan falls more into the Tony Stark category, even if he doesn't have a suit of armor he can take off and his only job is as Doctor Manhattan, on the grounds that having attachments outside of other superheroes is his one big character conflict and not having them ultimately leads to his ceasing to be a superhero at all. I'm not sure that's so distant from the Tick though, in the sense that there's nothing stopping him from making friends with the hot dog cart guy.

Someone disappeared by the Bat family to become a superhero while not creating a new identity for life on the outside actually seems like the opposite to me, that's someone who only has a secret identity. I can't help thinking of how often this comes up in Young Justice, like every second new hero is initially this, and they have an official policy to promptly assign them an alter ego to take on company bonding retreats to the mall or carnival.

Where does Invincible's Robot fit on this alignment chart? He's known exclusively as a (very non-human) superhero, similar to Red Tornado, except he does have a secret identity stored in a vat, but the secret identity doesn't have a job or attachments either....

Thefakelink

Citizen
Homelander would count. Probably most of the other supes as well. In the Amazon series, he even explicitly says he gave up on a secret identity.

Thefakelink

Citizen
Where does Invincible's Robot fit on this alignment chart? He's known exclusively as a (very non-human) superhero, similar to Red Tornado, except he does have a secret identity stored in a vat, but the secret identity doesn't have a job or attachments either....
I think Robot has the best of both worlds. The public at large knows him as a robot/drone, which can be controlled remotely. The rest of the heroes know what he looks like in his new body but the public doesn’t. He can just go on with his agenda without anyone the wiser.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Ah, okay, so having been a normie prior to becoming a superhero is an important qualifier too then. I guess the Tick had to be a normal guy who went to superhero school too. And by the same token, if a Damian Wayne type showed up and didn't bother wearing a mask or talking to non-super people, they'd still be disqualified too since they were born and raised in super business and didn't leave a normal life to get there.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Another non-metahuman who gets superpowers and immediately steps out of their normal life into an all superbusiness, all the time lifestyle is the other doctor, Doctor Strange. He just stops practicing medicine and starts practicing wizardry instead. I mean even his superhero name is just his what everyone already called him previously with a slightly different inflection. The wizarding world is his Themyscira, Atlantis, or Asgard, so he's keeping a lot of secrets about that from people not initiated, and he keeps one close friendship across the jump, but it's hard to get any more "no secret identity" than a guy who literally just uses his own regular ass name on the Avengers roster. Like his movie wasn't just called "Stephen" but it totally could have been.

Top Bottom