Studio Series discussion

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
They seem to be rather stretched thin resently with all of ROTB tie ins and from the comic con panel, said they didn't have access to some of the CAD files for WFC, so a lot of things were lost when Microsoft bought out Activsion (somewhere in their archives) so, they don't exactly have everything they needed, so they might of been going off video footage from people who played the game in the past to get the transformations, simply put, to much going on at once, but with ROTB toys now out in the wild, hopefully future releases will be better quailty, but we'll see, maybe they'll revisit the figures to make improvements including better paint jobs, again, only time will tell!

Microsoft hasn't bought Activison yet; they're still fighting regulators in the UK.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just wonder if they never really had much of a budget for this line. I know this design team really does love the franchise and they really do want to do right by it. I don't think they are intentionally putting out crappy designs because they think we'll buy anything. I really do think they weigh all their options and make decisions on where they feel their budget will be best spent. I guess if we can complain about any particular item of the design team might be us not agreeing with the allocation of funds. Some things this team finds important in their design might not be something everyone agrees with. I just know they aren't doing it with malice in their hearts.

Dake

Citizen
I think it's mostly money.

It's tough to redo a relatively modern line without it. All the updates to older properties are one thing, and the G1ification of Prime and Animated is doing something different. But WfC is just not that long ago, and the original figures were decent. Throw in today's smaller budgets and they've removed the one thing they really need if they want to improve on what we've had before - the cash to really up the parts count and engineer them all out.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
The game subseries always seemed like filler to me. Maybe the disarray caused by ROTB getting rescheduled caused them to push these out half-baked? I dunno, all I have to base this on is the clusterhug of the ROTB toyline

unluckiness

Citizen
I find Bumblebee to be the most egregious. Megatron just needs a different cannon, Prime just needs mudflaps and maybe gap fillers and Barricade's kibble is more or less where it's supposed to be, just bigger due to restrictions of three dimensional space. I don't think there's any easy solution to Bumblebee's chest.

It's a shame. I love the design but the new one's got issues and the old one was big for a deluxe back then but positively ginormous nowadays. He's probably near the current Optimus/Megatron height with double the mass

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Noah.jpg

Frenzy.jpg

Ratchets.jpg

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
EDIT: - I posted this here by mistake. Please could a mod move this and the related replies below to the legacy thread please?

Takara Tomy are at it again with their overcharged products:

- https://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810907251/

They're charging ¥38,500 for a straight recolour, lol.

In other news, you can get a non-titan class (but still fairly big) iteration of this character from around $80-180. In fact, you could buy a blue (Autobot) and purple (Quintesson) for around 180 dollars (if you get the cheapest) or around the same price as the Takara version (if you get the expensive version).

All the various versions of this character/mold are here:

-
Omega Sentinel.jpg

Last edited:

unluckiness

Citizen
Yeah, Takara does charge a lot but I dunno about comparing unlicensed toys manufactured in China to the official toys manufactured in Vietnam(?). I'd chalk it up to the guardian robot having a market that is a niche of a niche, having gigantic packaging and having to coordinate a new run of toys. Setting the factory up to manufacture things costs a significant amount and the 3P seems to optimize this by apparently manufacturing all the color variants in one go.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Yeah, Takara does charge a lot but I dunno about comparing unlicensed toys manufactured in China to the official toys manufactured in Vietnam(?). I'd chalk it up to the guardian robot having a market that is a niche of a niche, having gigantic packaging and having to coordinate a new run of toys. Setting the factory up to manufacture things costs a significant amount and the 3P seems to optimize this by apparently manufacturing all the color variants in one go.
One is cheaper but smaller. There's nothing wrong with comparing them. Takara just shot themselves in the hot with this pricing so it's an easy choice for me; 3P is the winner and they will be getting my money in the near future.

For those with serious money (possibly more than sense), they could buy all three of them for a small, varied squad of similar bots. I like to imagine that the guardian bots were made, like other troop builders, in a variety of models (sizes, shapes, roles/functions, etc) so why not have several different ones if one can afford to?

Shadewing

Citizen

tbf its even high compared to what Hasbro is charging; it's like $70 dollars more.

unluckiness

Citizen
Takara charges more for nearly identical toys. It's not limited to the guardian Robot. I don't know why and I don't agree with it but it's something they regularly do.
nemesis.pngnemesisjp.png
Nemesis costs $53 more. I dunno, maybe they figured they could get away charging a bit more because exclusivity.

I also realize this isn't the generations thread.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Takara charges more for nearly identical toys. It's not limited to the guardian Robot. I don't know why and I don't agree with it but it's something they regularly do.
View attachment 15800View attachment 15801
Nemesis costs $53 more. I dunno, maybe they figured they could get away charging a bit more because exclusivity.
That's probably it. However, Amazon Japan usually charges less than Takara Tomy Mall. For example, here's the same figure at Amazon Japan.
Not so much.jpg

As Omega Sentinel is an "exclusive" to TT Mall, it's set at Takara's arrogant prices. Apart from Notraplex, I've bought every titan class figure (including repaints) but I shan't be getting this. Between the price for this and their dialled -in G1 rehash ("Missing Link"), Takara are losing the plot, IMO.

I mean, isn't this getting closer and closer to the Japanese Haslab Unicron price?

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The 3Ps are literally half the size. How are they comparable?
Yeah other than 'them being based on the same thing', I really can't see any way to compare the official toy with the 3Ps. But I mean the main appeal of the Titan Class figures is the size, so pointing at a cheaper and unlicensed alternative that also misses out on that aspect is like...missing the whole damn point.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The 3Ps are literally half the size. How are they comparable?
Well, they are in price. Besides, scale isn't necessarily the same for all Guardian-pattern bots. In Animated, Omega S.P.R.E.E.M was a smaller, prototype of Omega Supreme, and in the G1 cartoon, one of the Quintesson guardian robots was fairly small too.

431EC330-C932-41A3-A0BB-FCA359CB7C3A.jpeg.jpg

So, if we can believe our imagine that there are an aesthetic, function and size-range of guardian robots (which is what I do for any troop builder bots, such as sweeps, armada Cyclonuses, sharkticons, etc), then a slightly smaller one is a perfectly acceptable and cheap substitute for the larger, overpriced one, right? I've already mentioned this in my previous post, btw.

Top Bottom