Street Fighter General

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
We have a Street Fighter thread specifically for 6. But I like talking about all things SF: games, comics, anime. So here's a general Street Fighter thread.

I'm going to start this the same way I start most gaming threads, by making tier lists.

Street Fighter
I actually did find an arcade machine once. I've also played it on a Capcom collection on PSP as well as several recent collections on PS5 and Switch. None of them were good. From character selection (Ryu or Ken depending on which player you are), controls, stiffness in gameplay...it's just bad.

Since you don't get II without first having I, I hate to give it a flat-out F. But with all its flaws, I can't give it any kind of good score either.

D-

Street Fighter II
If I were to make a separate entry for each version of SF II, I'd never get this thread posted. So I'm just going to have to combine them all into one.

Positives
It took a rather crappy first attempt and made a whole new genre. Without Street Fighter II, we very likely wouldn't have Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur among others. It also created iconic characters like Chun Li, Cammy, M Bison, Blanka and many others. And though the graphics may be dated, the gameplay most definitely isn't. I can still go back and play this and have fun with it.

Negatives
For a while, people unironically wondered if Capcom knew how to count to 3. Even after 3, 4 and 5 were out, they were still remaking 2. And it wasn't DLC upgrades like we get today. For each iteration, there was a new, full-priced cartridge out for Super Nintendo.

Final grade
As irritating as the retoolings became by the end of it all, it's impossible to deny the cultural impact Street Fighter II had. It was a sophomore effort that turned a lackluster freshman start into a long lived franchise as well as a new genre. It would be unthinkable to give this anything less than an...

S

Street Fighter 3
Well now, let's see. They got rid of all of the World Warriors except Ryu and Ken. They didn't even bring Chun Li back until Third Strike. Gill's a cheating bastard. It was so hard to find in Arcades, I never even had a chance to play it until I got the 30th Anniversary Collection.

But on the positive side, some interesting characters (Ibuki, Makoto, Elena) made their debut here. The gameplay is smooth as buttered silk. Plus there was a little thing called Evo Moment 37.

A+

Street Fighter IV
It was a dark time. It had been nearly a decade since the last SF game. Fans had no hope of a new SF game ever coming out. As far as even Capcom was concerned, Street Fighter was a dead franchise. But thanks to a pitch made by Yoshinori Ono, this dead franchise was given a second life.

Positives
This game wisely brought back the iconic World Warriors. Thus my main strike against 3 was averted here. Focus Attacks and Ultra Combos were simple enough for newbies but added some depth for the more experienced. It brought Sakura among others over from the Alpha games into the mainline. It also introduced Juri and C. Viper. It also marked the point where my main changed from Chun Li to Cammy

Negatives
It introduced Rufus and El Fuerte.

S

Street Fighter V
It started off very rocky. It released with very little single player content and it took what some would say was entirely way too long to add it. Unfortunately, by the time they did add single player content, for many it was too little too late.

While I totally understand that feeling, I personally stuck it out and it got to a point of being a really good game. They added several arcade modes allowing you to see the entire story of Street Fighter from 1-5. The final roster was also impressive with a bunch of new favorites (Rashid, Menat) along with a slew of old favorites. And honestly, the V-Gauge is still my favorite system, even beating out SF6's system.

F for the initial release. S for the final product.

Street Fighter 6
It may be too early to rate. The arcade mode has pretty graphics. The story mode has ugly graphics. I like Kimberly. I hate Luke. The rest of the roster is also hit and miss. I don't quite know how I feel about the drive gauge yet. I still need some practice with it. Also, with a hit and miss starting roster, I think what I ultimately rate it will depend a lot on DLC characters. Right now I can only give it a tentative rating.

A

Street Fighter Alpha
Remember how there was a Street Fighter 1 before there was a Street Fighter 2? Well, neither did anyone else. This was set between the two games. It had an interesting roster: Ryu, Ken, Birdie, Adon and Sagat comes back from SF1. Chun Li is the only SF 2 returner (though Charlie plays similarly to Guile). Guy and Sodom brings Final Fight firmly into the Street Fighter Universe. Rose and Charlie now exist.

It's a fun enough game. It plays quickly and smoothly. But dang! That is one small roster!

A-

Street Fighter Alpha 2
This gives us a larger roster than the first Alpha. More Final Fight characters, more World Warriors and most importantly...Sakura makes her debut. Plus this is the last SF game that made it to the SNES.

A+

Street Fighter Apha 3
Well, you talk about a huge cast of characters, the arcade version had a starting roster to be envied by most final rosters with 25 characters. Then you get the Advance and PSP versions that were pretty much Street Fighter Armageddon.

Negatives include Bison being a cheating bastard and you can't continue if you lose to him on most versions.

S

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I love the first Street Fighter in spite of everything.

I will admit, though, that I'd be into a remake that kept the graphics and sound, but expanded the available playable character roster and made the controls a bit more approachable, even though I do like the challenge and reward of pulling off a special move and knocking away half the opponent's life.

Caldwin

Citizen
Moral imperative.

It was actually a lot easier to find one without the shower scene than I expected. Still, blood, panty shots and language warning. Language isn't any worse than what can be said here without auto-censors. But yeah, covering the bases.

Caldwin

Citizen
One thing I miss from the old boards, I remember torturing myself with Street Fighter II V and sharing my adventures. I have no desire to relive that. But I do wish I still had the reminder why I have no desire to relive that.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I only got to see the first two, maybe three episodes that were on a VHS I rented at Blockbuster. Don't think they got the rest. But I friggin' loved it.

Reading about it later, it sounds like it kinda falls off a bit from there. Always been curious, though.

Caldwin

Citizen
Yeah, that was the problem I had. The first few episodes were awesome. But by the second disc it turned into a real slog. By the end of it all I was just glad to be done.

wentwood

Citizen
I played Street Fighter IV a lot on Mobile and PS 3 and on Mobile had finished the game with Cammy.

It's the first game I outright beat.

I have 3rd Strike on PS 2 and got stuck on the last double boss fight darn it.

Having played EX 2 Plus on PS 1 that got me into Street Fighter.

This game had made it on my blue flash drive set so I play the game plenty.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I played Street Fighter IV a lot on Mobile and PS 3 and on Mobile had finished the game with Cammy.
This reminds me, I remember being pissed back in the day that Capcom put Street Fighter IV on everything BUT the Wii.

Caldwin

Citizen
So...little story for y'all.

1. Broke both arms and am now at my parent's to heal.

2. Got Street Fighter 6. If nothing else, it can be a goal for when I heal get back home to my PS5.

3. Father: let's leave early so we can check out your house before going to your occupational therapy.
Me: can we get my PS5 while we're there?

4. I already have SF6 waiting at my parents house. I'll have no need to bring SF V along.

5. I have ways to play SF 1-4 as well as 6...but no 5 because I left it at home.

6. Spend a week debating if I should delete the disk version of V and download the PS+ version. I'll no doubt keep my DLC, but will my save data transfer? This doubt plagues me for a week.

7. Bite the bullet and delete my disk version and start downloading the PS+ version, a 12-hour process. I guess I'll be able to play it after my occupational therapy.

8. Father: hey, let's leave early so we can go by your house and check things out.

9. 🤯

10. Get my SF disk from my house...just in case.

11. PS+ version carried over my save data.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
3DS had a version.
I know! That just proves my point!

Nintendo fans got a version... on another platform... three years later.

And they kinda screwed up some of it, too. The backgrounds, at least.

There is no reason they couldn't have made a version that would run on the Wii.

Caldwin

Citizen
Plus they never got the 3DS version up to the final Ultra version with all its characters. You totally have a point. Especially since the Switch should definitely be able to handle it. Even though it's 2 games old in the series, I understand V was a Sony exclusive and 6 may be too much for the poor thing. But it can handle 4 and it would be nice to have something on Switch more than just an anniversary collection of the really retro ones.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That just reminded me of Ultra Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Championship Edition The New Final Challengers For Real We Mean It This Time You Guys.

...which pisses me off on a whole other level, because we not only never got SSFII HD Remix on Wii (Sure, it wouldn't have been HD, but did it NEED to be? I say "no"), but it's also trapped on that generation of hardware... except for the version on Switch, which is home to the worst Dpad since the 360, where my copy is trapped. ARGH. Why couldn't Xbox have at least made that one backwards compatible so I could finally enjoy it properly?! *sob*

I'm less bothered by the absence of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on the GameCube, because while I like the controller in a lot of situations, playing Mega Man X and Street Fighter-styled fighting games are not among them.

Just so I'm not coming off as completely sour, at least Wii got Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Love that one, and I gotta find a way to stream it someday. (Actually, I'm kinda reverse-pissed, in that I wish it was playable on other platforms...)

Caldwin

Citizen
Tatsunoko vs Capcom was really sweet. I do wish they'd bring it to newer generations too. In fact, a collection of vs. games would be nice to see.

Caldwin

Citizen

It's the first game I outright beat.

I have 3rd Strike on PS 2 and got stuck on the last double boss fight darn it.

Having played EX 2 Plus on PS 1 that got me into Street Fighter.

This game had made it on my blue flash drive set so I play the game plenty.

I have EX3 on PS2. I heard it was bad before I got it. But I'd just got a used PS2 from Game Stop and PS1/PS2 games were dirt cheap at Disc Replay. It wasn't good, but I might have to try it again sometime. I own it after all.

This post does remind me of one of the things that kinda low-key annoys me with Street Fighter. I'm just using Cammy as an example, but Chun Li has the same issue and I wouldn't doubt other characters do as well.

Cammy's Axle Spin Knuckle

Super SF II
Half-circle towards + Punch

Alpha 3
Half-circle back + Punch

SF IV
Half-circle back + Punch (okay, it had some consistency between two games)

SF V
V trigger

SF VI
Quarter-Circle Back + Punch

Okay, so that particular move probably wasn't the best example. But you get my point. Hooligan Combination gets it worse and with Chun Li, you never know if you're going to get a Spinning Bird Kick or a Tenshokyaku...and I really hate it when I get a Tenshokyaku (curse you Super II Turbo).

Anyway, that's my rant. Makes it a bit irritating if you're going between games.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Huh, didn't know they were changing the move inputs like that.

And I like Street Fighter EX as a series, and remember enjoying the PS2 one quite a lot. I wanted to buy it from Blockbuster, but wasn't able to before someone else got it, IIRC.

I do remember in the first entry being jarred by trying to do a Hurricane Kick, and only getting one kick out of it, though, since you have to repeat either the motion of the kick button (I forget which) to get the full move out of it.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Part 2 of Thorgi's History of Street Fighter Retrospective. This one covers the Alpha and EX series.

I'm a little surprised he didn't throw the various versions of 3 in here, too. But, somehow he managed to get a 2 and a half our video out of these other game.

Top Bottom