Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star Trek appears to have peaked with The Next Generation which surpassed the Original Series when it reached 100 episodes, a feat the original series could not achieve. The Original Series has made a comeback with the most recent movies, and the Next Generation is going out in a blaze of glory with the Picard series.

We don’t need to drive Star Trek into the ground with any more mediocre new series.

The Original Series with only 75 episodes was able keep the fandom alive for more than 20 years until the Next Generation.

The Next Generation took that life and used it to fully realize Gene Roddenberry’s vision.

Star Trek can survive and thrive forever off the combined might and legacy of the Original Series and the Next Generation.

Every other Star Trek series is suckling off the success of those two shows.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Wrong! DS9 was copying Babylon 5, not TNG or TOS! And Lower Decks is just aping Rick and Morty, if you have the IQ to see it! Voyager was just a pilot for the Battlestar Galactica remake! Prodigy is just wannabe Star Wars Clone Wars! And what is this Enterprise you speak of?

Next Generation started off as repurposed Phase II scripts, so Next Generation is just suckling off the success of TOS as well. With episodes like Spock's Brain, it definitely was the peak of Trek.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Star Trek wouldn't be what it is today without the Animated Series. Everything after is just pale imitations...

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
All I’m saying is the Original Series and the Next Generation are the best!

Gene Roddenberry died during the Next Generation.

If he saw the Star Trek shows that came after Next Gen he would be rolling over in his grave.

His work, without his supervision, has been bastardized over and over again. I’m not saying they’re copying the Original Series and Next Generation, that would be preferable.

I’m saying subsequent Star Trek tv shows have been able to survive in spite of their throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks because they inherited the success of the Original Series and the Next Generation which they are able to live off of forever. It’s sort of like a deadbeat son who is able to survive because he has rich parents to bail him out every time he fails.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I heard that Star Trek Picard sets up Captain Kirk’s return in the 25th Century. Is this true?

The Next Generation and Original Series are like the goose that keeps laying those golden eggs for Star Trek. They are the franchise’s sugar daddies.

Is it any wonder that alll the Star Trek movies are based on those two shows, even to this day, even though there have been so many shows that have come after them?

Lobjob

Citizen
I mean, DS9 and Voyager are both getting a lot of love these days. Also, Disco is kind of obsessed with Enterprise too.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I mean, DS9 and Voyager are both getting a lot of love these days. Also, Disco is kind of obsessed with Enterprise too.

Where are the motion picture movies for these shows? Instead, they are going back to the Original Series characters: Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Sulu, Chekhov, Scotty, Khan, etc. etc. Why is that?

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
To be honest, "What You Come Back To" would be ill-served by a feature film treatment, especially considering all the plot threads it would be picking up.

Lobjob

Citizen
Where are the motion picture movies for these shows? Instead, they are going back to the Original Series characters: Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Sulu, Chekhov, Scotty, Khan, etc. etc. Why is that?

I mean, Star Trek: Beyond was 7 years ago. Unless I missed an announcement nobody is getting any motion pictures these days.

My only point was even the TNG specific show, Picard, has worked in significant Voyager and DS9 elements. Star Trek was on tv for a solid 18 years straight, and TNG didn't shoulder that burden alone. I really wish Picard had just been called Star Trek: Legacy so they could go even more wild, but considering the executions of their ideas maybe not doing this is for the best.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star Trek needed the name “Picard” in the show title because that name is what draws the viewers in to watch. Casual fans even though they don’t know DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, etc. would definitely know “Picard. “

The Voyager and DS9 elements worked in were for the hard-core fans. The majority of the viewers are tuning in for Picard, Sean Luc.

Star Trek: Legacy is just not a bankable show title because most people are not familiar with Star Trek post the Next Generation, but they do know Picard and will watch just because his name is stamped on the show. They will tune in just for him.

Gridlock

Citizen
Gene Roddenberry died during the Next Generation.

If he saw the Star Trek shows that came after Next Gen he would be rolling over in his grave.

His work, without his supervision, has been bastardized over and over again. I’m not saying they’re copying the Original Series and Next Generation, that would be preferable.
Without his supervision, TNG finally became the classic series everyone knows and love. His views on what Trek should be were really outdated by the end of the 80s.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Gene Roddenberry absolutely deserves the credit for Star Trek: The Next Generation. That was his baby. That show was probably closer to his vision than the Original Series.

786AFCF0-DED1-48F1-8EC3-73BA5387B54A.jpeg
36D75525-D990-4004-B31A-C8D3CDAB783B.jpeg

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star Trek the Next Generation is the best iteration of Star Trek.

Star Trek the Original Series had the coolest characters.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
William T. Riker was the real captain and star of Next Gen. He was like James T. Kirk, and he was supposed to take command of the Enterprise here:

because Patrick Stewart wanted out. Picard was planned to be killed off with Riker becoming Captain of the Enterprise.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Susan Oliver had quite the career in front of and behind the camera -- yet I suspect she will always be remembered for defining one of the first non-human species to be seen across multiple series (the Vulcans being the other introduced in "The Cage").*

*of course, she wasn't actually portraying an Orion, but a human made to look like an Orion by illusion-casting aliens, but until "Journey to Babel" and "Whom Gods Destroy", that was all we had to go on. Enterprise and Lower Decks had a lot of fragments to try and build from....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom